E Vespa

4r3st3r

1 mW
Hi all,
This is my first post, so please let me know if this has already been answered elsewhere?
I am planning on converting an old Piaggio Vespa. From what I understand, the most difficult bit is attaching the hub motor to the rest of the bike? I see some people on this forum managed to get a swingarm made, I would love your sources for it?

The other option (that I am more inclined towards) is to buy a single shafted hub motor and somehow incorporate the motor shaft into where the original drive spline was, to keep it looking as original as possible! Does anyone have an experience with this?

The bits I plan on using are:
QS 10" single shafted hub motor 48V 3KW (assuming I can work out some method of attaching it!)
Kelly Controller KLS7245N (as advised by Robert Chen at QS motors)
48V Battery pack (not yet found, so any advice welcomed!)

This is my first EV conversion project, so any experience, advice or general knowledge is much appreciated!
Thanks!

Hei Hector,

I can only speak for myself and Aaron mason here on the forum, but the short answer is that you would need a little bit of design skills to have a custom swingarm made. it took both of us a lot of measuring and CAD seign to get ours completed (especially Aarons', which turned out to be a artistic masterpiece).

Unfortunately, the offset of the rim on an original Vespa wheel and the offset of the single shaft hub motor is waaay too different to be able to combine a single shaft hub motor and an original motor. Maybe, and I say just maybe, would you gain the difference back by removing the gearbox and clutch completely, and have a custom adapter fabricated. This would add up to a lot more work, but I would LOVE to see someone do it!

He bud not sure if it's to late to give you a pointer to convert your Vespa.
Look up Rectrospective scooters on the net it's a complete kit almost plug and play
I just finished my '61 VBB using there kit
good luck

Back