10 mW
Hi
After lurking for 2 years, I started to plan my own build,
inspired by many posts I read here.
eg https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=101797
I didn't want to bore you with dummy talk,
now that I have made some basic steps forward
I would like to share some ideas&pics with you
(I admit frankly that I hope for some tailor-made advice here)

I need a bike for commuting inside and around the city, sometimes at highway speed, but mostly I wanna impress the petrolheads (including myself) here with sheer acceleration ;)
I figured a range about 100km would be enough, as I rarely ride that distance in one day. And I am still a petrol head, owner of a '79 XS650. For cruising over land I love the taste and sound of burning fossile energy. Lets dont get into green discussions here...say, I want the acceleration without stinky leftovers at least in the city.

I ordered and received so far:
- QS273 8KW V4 Hubmotor on 17x3,5 Rim, Custom Axle length: 320mm
- Kelly KLS 96601-8080I Controller
- Disk-brake-plate and calliper by QS/SIA
- two BMW i3 Gen2 Modules each 4140Wh/94Ah/44,04V nominal
- Charger CH2000 / 96V by QS
- ANT BMS 300 A
- DC-DC Converter by QS
- Various Throttles from QS (including Foot-Pedal 0-5V)
- new frontwheel bearings, brake disks, brakepads
- handlebar, steering head, steelflex-cables by spiegler.de
- main contactor Albright SU280B, 96V/350A
- main switch Gigavac HBD41 400A/1000V
- tiny LED indicators, tail-light

Donor frame is from a Suzuki GSX-R 600 from '98.
EzukiFrame.jpg
I chose that model for several reasons:
The DeltaBox frame can hold the two batteries better than a frame with a central backbone. (So I sadly had to drop the idea to use my favorite bike, Yamaha XT500)
Very important were the swingarm drop outs that can hold a strong torque arm.
Another important thing is, that here In Germany, you do not need an EMV-Test, if the donor bike is before 2000.

I started with mockups, played around a lot. I dont wanna use the Suzi-wind-fair, I like the naked bike look very much. Found that I have to redesign the complete rear-frame, as the original seat is so ugly I dont wanna use it.
For this part, to pass TÜV (tec-control) and get it streetlegal, I need a proper static-calculation with a CAD-Prog like Solid-Works, I do have the CAD drawing already.
Heckrahmen-Model.jpg
Mockup_1.jpg
based on that mockup, welded the battery cover, and a frame that will hold the batteries, still work in progress!
Ezuki_BatteryCover_3.jpg
BatteryMock.jpg

I think I will use a tank-cover like this below and enforce it with epoxy and a small alu frame, to get a hinged cover, to access the carbs -oups!- controller. Not yet decided...Thoughts?
cover.jpg

Now the drop outs!
I believe that the torque-arm plate provided by QS will not be able to hold the torque of such a beast and transfer it to the frame on the long run. I really wonder how that tiny 4mm plate by QS shall withstand the power of 230Nm torque.
I made again mockups of the parts, transferred them to CAD, and had them waterjet-cut from 15mm alu. Needed some buddha-handwork to adapt.
dropout2.jpg
dropout1.jpg
dropout3.jpg
I have to machine the bolts for the 18x1,5 axle out of the head of a 50mm bolt, because the axle is still not long enough so the thread must go inside these egg-formed drop outs.
All that huzzle because TÜV demands a complete new static-calculation if the original frame is chenged, cut, welded. (you are sooo lucky over there w/o TÜV I tell ya!)

The torque arm itself is under construction, will look like that basically
torquearm-mockup.jpg

As the basic hardware work is slowly coming to an end, I am looking at electric and wiring issues.
So here I am hoping for the first advice from the E-dudes here:
I read somewhere here that some people wire the ANT BMS only for charging, as the Kelly has reasonable hi/low power cut out. They dont want to take the risk that that chinese part leave them alone somewhere..
How would I wire that set-up? This from the instructions that came with it:
ANT BMS wiring.jpg
In other words, is it a good idea to use that ANT-BMS wired inline B- for discharge also (as it is made for?)
Thx for reading so far, ride on!

Torque arm and rear brake mounted.TorqueArmMounted.jpg
what do you guys think:
is there any downside to position of the rear brake caliper like this? Why are brake calipers typically mounted more on the top of the brake-disk?

Back