Removing the speed restrictions on the Ecooter E2R

SpriteIsLucky

100 µW
Hello, I purchased an Orcal Ecooter E2R 50cc-equivalent about 4 months ago. Even though I really like the scooter and all its advantages, I don’t find its limited max speed of 47 km/h enough to have a good « sensation » of driving. I was wondering if it was possible to remove or modify this limitation, to make it go faster.

Any informations would be greatly appreciated !

P.S - I am fully aware of the consequences of removing those restrictions.

A few questions first:

Is the speedometer on the motor-driven wheel? If not, can you move it's sensor there, or add a new speedometer there? (even a bike speedometer)

When you can measure that motor-driven wheel's speed, first verify max speed while riding on the flats. What is that speed?

Next, measure the motor-driven wheel's max speed when it's off ground.

If the two speeds are basically the same, then it's a speed limiter in action. Then to remove the limit you'd need to either reprogram the controller (not usually possible) or disconnect it's limiting wires (if it has any; they often don't these days), or replace the controller with one that doesnt' have a limiter.

If the two speeds are significantly different, then it's just that the motor system (battery, controller, motor winding version, etc) doesn't have the ability to go that fast under that load, and you would need to change parts out to get a faster speed.

Yes, the speedometer is on the motor-driven wheel and the speeds are the same on and off the ground. I haven’t found any informations about the controller on internet so I don’t really know what to do with it. The seller also told me that on this specific scooter, the batteries had their own controller and that the operation had to be done on them and not on the « scooter’s controller ». I couldn’t find any other informations about that, maybe I should ask him again, but I’m not sure if he’s authorized to tell me informations about this, for legal reasons.

SpriteIsLucky said:
Yes, the speedometer is on the motor-driven wheel and the speeds are the same on and off the ground.
Then its' pretty certainly a controller-limitation, probably software (but some are hardware, or are non-programmable settings, which amounts to the same thing).

Does the speed decrease as the battery discharges, or is it constant all the way from full to empty?

The seller also told me that on this specific scooter, the batteries had their own controller and that the operation had to be done on them and not on the « scooter’s controller ».

Well, a "battery controller" would be a BMS, not a motor controller, and can't limit the speed by itself in the way you see. Only the motor controller itself can do this kind of limiting, *except* if there is a "brain" somewhere in the system that the throttle *and* the speed sensor data or signals feed into, that then sends a modified throttle signal to the controller as an analog or data signal.

If the battery only has two wires feeding from it's output to the controller, then it's not the source of the limit.

If it has more than two wires, then it is possible that it contains the brain described above. You could try to disconnect anything other than the main two output wires from the battery, and see if it makes a difference, but it would probably just make it not do anything at all.

Does the throttle signal feed directly to the controller, or does it go somewhere else first?

does it go faster?

weird article says the top speed is 48km/h unless its rear tire is lifted (no load top speed) 90km/h

doesnt sound like its speed limited

https://www.topgear.com.ph/moto-sapiens/motorcycle-review/review-2019-ecooter-e2r-a3853-20190903

I think I’ll have to check out the controller again to give you a proper answer... Would it be useful if I posted pics of it here ?

Also, the top gear article is about the 125cc-equivalent version, that can switch between an eco and sport mode which can make it go up to 90km/h. On the version that I have, (50cc-equivalent) the button to switch between these modes has been replaced by a second horn button.

the switch was replaced with a horn button

they might have just connected 2 wires at the controller together to keep you in eco mode

a picture of the controller would help others help you

Alright, so I managed to take a few pictures of the interesting parts :

First, the controller itself, and all its wires :
ecooter controller.jpg

Then, the "informations" of the controller :
controller 2.jpg

And finally, the battery plug. I don't know if it is relevant or not, but i noticed that it has 2 main pins, probably for the power, and 4 smaller ones. I believe these ones could be used for information transfer, and not just for power, which could indicate that there is indeed another "controller" in the batteries :
battery plug.jpg

I hope these new infos can help !

SpriteIsLucky said:
And finally, the battery plug. I don't know if it is relevant or not, but i noticed that it has 2 main pins, probably for the power, and 4 smaller ones. I believe these ones could be used for information transfer, and not just for power, which could indicate that there is indeed another "controller" in the batteries :
It's possible, but if that's the case, then it's likely your options are:

--take or send scooter (or control system) to scooter manufacturer or dealer that has programming software and hardware to set it up the way you want it to be

--get programming software and hardware from the manufacturer of the controller system or scooter, to change the settings yourself

--determining which pins are data lines between controller and everything else, and "snoop" on the communications under varying circumstances enough to figure out what is being sent and what it means, so you can then build/program something (arduino, etc) to insert between the controller and whatever is doing the limiting, and change *only* those data bytes that are creating the limiting. The controller does day it's "485 communication", which is the RS485 standard, so at least you can easily determine the voltages and signal types needed--but what is sent and how it's sent aren't included in that standard.

--disconnecting the speedometer completely (if it can't tell how fast it's going, it cant' limit the speed), and installing a completely separate speedo so *you* still know how fast it's going. This will disable all things related to speed sensing, though, so if it has any useful features depending on it, they won't work either.

--disconnecting the "receive" line on the controller so it can't get any data from the rest of the system, so it wouldn't be able to be limited. Or, if that's not how the limiting happens, disconnect the "send" line on the battery's "controller", to do the same thing. Either one requires determining which are the data lines, and then which is send and which is receive, probably by experimentation.

--replacing the controller with a generic one that connects directly to the throttle and any other controls, and uses it's own display (the one on the scooter probalby won't work anymore); this may also entail either hacking the battery to bypass the internal electronics or installing your own BMS, depending on whether the battery will operate with just direct main +/- connections to the controller or not, or if it's easy to figure out which pin(s) to ground or set to a voltage to enable the battery, etc.

There may be other ways I havent' thought of, possibly easier than any of those.

Thanks a lot for these informations, I’ll try to look deeper into the controller’s way of working and see if I can change anything by myself. Otherwise, my last option would be to go back to see the dealer and be persuasive enough to convince him to modify these limitations. I know he has the equipment to do so, but I don’t know if he’s willing to...

SpriteIsLucky said:
Thanks a lot for these informations, I’ll try to look deeper into the controller’s way of working and see if I can change anything by myself. Otherwise, my last option would be to go back to see the dealer and be persuasive enough to convince him to modify these limitations. I know he has the equipment to do so, but I don’t know if he’s willing to...

He's the one who's in deep doodoo with regulatory authorities if he does something illegal to your bike and you go hurt yourself/others. If you want something illegal and unnecessary for your bike, I think you should take responsibility and do it yourself.

Me? I'd find the joy in going 29 mph or less. Your small-wheeled scooter is probably fulfilling its entire potential at that speed, and tempting fate at higher speeds.

Any progress here?

I can share some information about it which may be helpful.
On the E1S you also got the two horns. But you can connect two wires under the Dashboard, so the Right Horn will be the Smart Button and can change the mode from smart to sport. This will increase the speed limit. On the e2 the wires are also prepared and you can connect them. But for any reason the switch between smart and sports does not work.

ATTACH]

Hello, I'm also interested in this topic.

Any progress with the smart button or something?

Attachments

• 94231241_10157226288159290_3657844726255583232_n.jpg
    94231241_10157226288159290_3657844726255583232_n.jpg
    498.9 KB · Views: 157
  • cruise_control_reverse_gear.JPG
    cruise_control_reverse_gear.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 157
Hey just made an account to share experience. I have the ecooter e2 50cc so maybe it's different but when I changed the steering bar and reconnected all the plugs I accidentally could switch between smart and sport. It is basically a loose connector that I accidentally swapped with my alarm lights. Maybe that helps.

Back