Hall effect cable-actuated throttle

4r3st3r

1 mW
Does anyone know where I can get hold of a hall-effect throttle that is actuated by a standard motorcycle throttle cable. I want to keep the original handlebars so I can't use a hall effect throttle there. I have found this but it doesn't seem to work with my Kelly Controller? I keep getting an error when i have it plugged in? The error goes away when i replace it with a hall-effect pedal, so I think that my controller (KLS7245N) doesn't seem to like potentiometers!

If anyone knows of anything similar that will output standard 0-5V, I would be very grateful!

Thanks in advance for any help / advice.

Well, the curtis box does 0-5v, but a hall does not (around 1v-4v). So if you need the 0-5v, you need a potentiometer COT (cable operated throttle), not a hall. If you need the 1v-4v, then you need hall COT, not a pot COT. ;)

If you need a hall COT, there's a link in my How To Make a Proportional Regen Brake Lever thread to the one on aliexpress that i use, which is the same one that MJSFoto1956 used on his build. I think it's this one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32954909008.html but you can check those to make sure.

The kelly should be programmable for what voltage range it needs, if you have the cable to connect to a computer for that (software is on the kelly site for your specific model).

amberwolf said:
The kelly should be programmable for what voltage range it needs, if you have the cable to connect to a computer for that (software is on the kelly site for your specific model).

pl0Jbct.jpg

Page 18, item #8 in this manual...

https://kellycontroller.com/wp-content/uploads/kls-nm/KellyKLS-N-UserManualV2.7.pdf

(8)TPS Type: TPS Type, 1:0-5V 3-wire 0-5K pot,5K is normal,2K-20K can be used;2:Hall active
throttle or pedal. Range: 1~2

Note the screenshot is a -H model... -N is the same for this setting.

Regards,
T.C.

Thanks for this TC, very useful graphic!

I have tried messing about with the settings - for some reason I have the option of 3 different settings for the TPS Type, not the two options that you show above? I am accessing it via the android app and it gives me the options of
Code:
1: 0-5V , 2:1-4V, 3: 0-5K
It works fine if I have it set to 1 and use the Hall throttle twist grip I have (but am not using on the bike).
So when I am testing the pot throttle I set it to TPS type 3, but this only causes the controller to give a "hall sensor error". This error goes away as soon as I unplug the pot throttle!

Its a mystery to me! But if its a mystery you can solve I will be so grateful!
Next time I am messing around with it I will take a screenshot of the options that it gives me and upload it so you can see!

Cheers!

amberwolf said:
Well, the curtis box does 0-5v, but a hall does not (around 1v-4v). So if you need the 0-5v, you need a potentiometer COT (cable operated throttle), not a hall. If you need the 1v-4v, then you need hall COT, not a pot COT. ;)

Ah, I think this may be my issue - I thought a potentiometer provides a variable resistance, nor variable voltage? I am fully prepared for my half-remembered physics lessons to be wrong, so please correct me!

I think my controller can take 0-5v, 1-4v, or 0-5K, depending on the settings I give it. Are you saying that the throttle I've linked there is giving me 0-5v or 0-5K?

Thanks for all your help!

Ok so I played around with the settings and managed to get rid of the "Hall Sensor error". I can't remember exactly what I did (sorry!) but I will have another look later and work it out and update this post.

So the "TPS Pedel" value now goes in a smooth curve from ~10 -> ~255 which I think means it's working? The motor is making a humming noise but still does not move, even with the throttle pinned. I think the issue is with the "brake switch", as for some reason it changes from a 0 to a 1 as I increase the throttle. I have nothing connected to the brake switch, and have never intended to use it. Is there a way that my throttle switch is putting on the brakes somehow?

Here is a photo of the values on the bike both before and after I twist the throttle. See how the brake switch value changes from 0 -> 1 despite me not doing anything to make that happen??

Screenshot_20210326-163949.jpeg
Screenshot_20210326-164611.jpeg

Thanks in advance again for any / all help!!

4r3st3r said:
Ah, I think this may be my issue - I thought a potentiometer provides a variable resistance, nor variable voltage?
It does provide variable resistance. But as soon as you hook it up to a voltage source and ground on its' two outside pins, and hook it's center pin to the signal input, it is now providing a variable voltage between whatever voltage is supplied, and ground, as you turn it.

4r3st3r said:
So the "TPS Pedel" value now goes in a smooth curve from ~10 -> ~255 which I think means it's working? The motor is making a humming noise but still does not move, even with the throttle pinned. I think the issue is with the "brake switch", as for some reason it changes from a 0 to a 1 as I increase the throttle. I have nothing connected to the brake switch, and have never intended to use it. Is there a way that my throttle switch is putting on the brakes somehow?
If you are not using an input of whatever kind, make sure you have disabled it in the settings, for any input that can be disabled. If you don't, the Kelly will still monitor the input, and if there is electrical noise on the input that can be interpreted as a valid signal, the Kelly will do things you may not want it to. ;)

If it cant' be disabled, you can use a 5k-10kohm resistor to "jumper" it to the inactive state voltage (if it is inactive at 5v, then hook the resistor from the signal wire to 5v, otherwise to ground). That just ensures that no extraneous RF/etc can induce a signal into the wire and cause undesired operation.

So you probably aren't using he Foot switch either, so make sure that is also disabled.

Some kellys have two analog inputs; make sure your throttle is hooked up to the throttle input, and not the brake input, if so. ON the 9pin square connector for throttle, the green is for throttle, and the brown is for brake, according to the manual for your controller.

Back