Oset repower problems

Hopefully someone here can assist. I am putting makita batteries in my sons Oset 12.5. It originally had two small sla batteries (24v system). I have installed two 18v makita batteries in series. Solenoid clicks, bar indicator lights up, my volt meter I installed reads 40.6 volts, but nothing happens when throttle is turned. I understand I'm trying to run it at a higher voltage but it has been done by others if I'm remembering correctly. Any ideas of where to start looking?

Troubleshooting #1. I jumpered the old batteries into my installed battery ports and the bike works fine. Apparently the higher voltage is causing the issue. I wonder if it could be the throttle? Or it also could be the controller :evil:

Some controllers have an HVC to prevent operation above a certain voltage, so it doesn't damage the controller (similar to the LVC to prevent damage to the battery).

As for why it works for some people and not others, keep in mind that even within a particular brand and model of an item, the manufacturer may not always use the same parts in each one.

Does the controller have any information printed on it?

Try moving to a 36V or 48V throttle, which you can buy from OSET.
The throttle sends a voltage to the controller, which for your new battery setup may be out of the permissible range.

The plastic throttles can break and go past the detents which could cause a WOT condition - the controllers are designed to prevent this.

I tested throttle signal and it looks good. Controller says model 2440dbc-3pa0 Input voltage 24v Control voltage 1-4v Output current 40a

I just read elsewhere that some of these have hvc at 28v. Hmm. I guess I could go with 12v or possibly 14.4v makita batteries. Any other simple solutions? Would a new controller be fairly plugnplay?

artisanstone said:
I tested throttle signal and it looks good. Controller says model 2440dbc-3pa0 Input voltage 24v Control voltage 1-4v Output current 40a

I just read elsewhere that some of these have hvc at 28v. Hmm. I guess I could go with 12v or possibly 14.4v makita batteries. Any other simple solutions? Would a new controller be fairly plugnplay?

What I meant by being out-of-range is that the throttle signal may simply be too high (which is why the throttles come in different voltage ratings). I can't remember if the max voltage the controller will accept is 3.8V or 4.2V. Anything above that it will simply not activate the motor.

You can perhaps run a potentiometer on the throttle input as a voltage divider and see if that helps.

Otherwise, if you're looking for an easy battery upgrade, just get a 6S LiPo pack. Something around 6000mAh should give you about an hour's riding time.

A 36V controller upgrade is mechanically easy to do, but I'm not sure if they're matched to the 24V motor. The 36V controllers also have a different throttle response and some kids find it more difficult to modulate.

I use the OSET 24's, OSET36's and OSET 48's for a little school I run.

Attachments

• DSC_0017.JPG
    DSC_0017.JPG
    249.2 KB · Views: 772
OK so to wrap this up for those who see it in the future. I installed new controller, a cheap one that was rated for 36v. There were a few wiring peculiarities but it now runs on makita 18v batteries. So far I'm impressed with power and what run time appears to be.

artisanstone said:
OK so to wrap this up for those who see it in the future. I installed new controller, a cheap one that was rated for 36v. There were a few wiring peculiarities but it now runs on makita 18v batteries. So far I'm impressed with power and what run time appears to be.

Could you please share some details/links on what controller you used?

Thanks

Back