Another Emax 110s Lithium upgrade

OlaE

1 mW
Hi.
Bought an E-max 110s 2008 with dead battery for 200 €. My plan is to upgrade it to 72V this spring.
Cells: 20S1P LEV40 Li-ion cells from an Outlander PHEV
Controller: Kelly Controller KLS7230H
BMS: ANT-BMS 180 / 450A with display
Charger: Do not know yet. Someone who can fit on board.

/Ola

dont forget you have to dump the control board that has the 12V converter on it and buy your own 12v converter. same goes for the blinker relay thingy.

for charging you can get 2 HRP-300-36 in series.

you also lose the speedo so get a gps based one for 70 bucks on aliexpress that also includes indicator lights so you can dump the existing dash.

fun fact: its litteraly simpler to rip out the ENTIRE cable harnass and just start over.

flippy said:
dont forget you have to dump the control board that has the 12V converter on it and buy your own 12v converter. same goes for the blinker relay thingy.

for charging you can get 2 HRP-300-36 in series.

you also lose the speedo so get a gps based one for 70 bucks on aliexpress that also includes indicator lights so you can dump the existing dash.

fun fact: its litteraly simpler to rip out the ENTIRE cable harnass and just start over.
Thanks for your input. I read somewhere that I can use a 72V to 48V DC/DC and try to keep some of the original harness instead.

OlaE said:
Thanks for your input. I read somewhere that I can use a 72V to 48V DC/DC and try to keep some of the original harness instead.

you can hack into the output of the original 12V converter at pin 8 of the main bus connector, its the yellow wire right in the middle from where the horn wires are connected that is the main 48V bus. personally its more of a hassle then just ripping it all out. generally DC converters dont like being in series. you can hack into the DC converter output on pin 9 if you want to go straight from 72>12V and skip the converter.

check before hacking into the harnass, there are several different versions of the harnass going around.

if you have everytthing handy you can do a replacement harnass in a few hours and just trash the board that is in there. less connectors, less to go wrong.

This is the schematic I got. I'm not sure that it's correct for my E-max.
Emax_wiring_diagram.png

You need to tap into the 48V in. Just make sure it does not go anywere else that can cause problems.

This is the right harness schematic for my scooter.
I'll probably replace the original DC/DC board with light drivers and make my own PCB with an external 72V to 12V DC/DC converter.

Attachments

• E-max scooter cable.pdf
    490 KB · Views: 84
Working on the new main board. First prototype will soon be ready.
Arduino controlled for 2 speed modes.

Attachments

• Draft new main board.jpg
    Draft new main board.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 2,028
The 20S1P (72V/40Ah) battery pack is getting ready soon.

Attachments

• 2021-06-27 16 21 44.jpg
    2021-06-27 16 21 44.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 1,849
This will be tight!

Attachments

• 2021-09-12 11.40.38.jpg
    2021-09-12 11.40.38.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 1,641
That battery is a work of art! Hopefully the cells are OK with being on their sides.

Nice battery!
The ANT BMS usually comes with a screen which features many things, including a speedometer based on hall sensor input. It can display total voltage, voltage of each individual cell, current consumtion, State of Charge, temperatures, odometer, etc. It's a really nice little thing, personnally I like to use it on all my bikes since it does pretty much everything you'd need.
I suggest you to ditch the current electric system and replace it by this screen instead. You can probably integrate it in the dashboard, just like I did on my scooter recently (check here if you want: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=75912&start=50 )

Hi.
I've been busy last year building a garage.
The battery pack is very tight in the front where all the cables connect but I have an idea of how to get more space.
Finally I got it running and made a first test run. Made an experimental install of the battery pack and it seems to work as planned.
The first impression is complete silence and a very smooth ride :D

2022-05-26 18.14.05.jpg

2022-05-26 14.25.11.jpg

2022-05-26 12.42.31.jpg

/Ola

Dui said:
Nice battery!
The ANT BMS usually comes with a screen which features many things, including a speedometer based on hall sensor input. It can display total voltage, voltage of each individual cell, current consumtion, State of Charge, temperatures, odometer, etc. It's a really nice little thing, personnally I like to use it on all my bikes since it does pretty much everything you'd need.
I suggest you to ditch the current electric system and replace it by this screen instead. You can probably integrate it in the dashboard, just like I did on my scooter recently (check here if you want: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=75912&start=50 )

Yes I will use this display and integrate it like you did but also make my own showing some CANbus data from the controller.

/Ola

First layout of the new display with ANT-BMS display and a homemade CANbus board for 16x2 display.
2022-06-12 21.21.59.jpg
2022-06-12 21.21.43.jpg
Will integrate this into the space for the round original speedometer later with turn and headlight indicator. Replace the 16x2 display with an Oled one instead.

/Ola

Back