Honda PCX 150 Conversion

CDR_Phu

1 µW
I am currently researching the electric conversion for my 2018 Honda PCX150. It has a CVT transmission and seems like it should be an easy conversion once I figure out the proper motor to use. It has a lot of fairings and once the gas tank is removed, it should provide plenty of space for a sizeable battery pack. I am still trying to understand best motor for my application and what kind of controller to use with the twist throttle. If anyone has any thoughts to help I would accept graciously.

I have a 2018 Honda PCX 150 gas scooter that I really enjoy riding. It is my daily commuter and gets 81MPG. It is great, but low end is not great for acceleration. My thought is to replace the gas engine with an electric tied right to the variator for the CVT transmission. My hope is that the motor will not have to work nearly as hard with the CVT since it does not shift and adjusts according to need. The beautiful thing is, the electric motor would certainly take up less room and removal of the gas tank, along with abundant room under the fairing should give me a sizeable battery. I am looking into an add on tachometer to gauge the revs at speeds. I am looking for information on motor sizing, and what other components I will need.

If you removed the cvt and used a bigger electric motor you'd probably save weight and space, although you'd need to find a different swingarm. Electric motors don't generally need transmissions for stuff like this because they produce maximum torque from 0 rpms rather than needing to build rpms for torque like gas engines. The only reason I can think of to use a transmission on an electric is because shifting on motorcycles is fun.

CDR_Phu said:
I am currently researching the electric conversion for my 2018 Honda PCX150. It has a CVT transmission and seems like it should be an easy conversion once I figure out the proper motor to use. It has a lot of fairings and once the gas tank is removed, it should provide plenty of space for a sizeable battery pack. I am still trying to understand best motor for my application and what kind of controller to use with the twist throttle. If anyone has any thoughts to help I would accept graciously.

It depends. Can you place a motor inline with your CVT, or would it be easier to add a swingarm and use a hub motor. Both are viable.

CDR_Phu said:
I have a 2018 Honda PCX 150 gas scooter that I really enjoy riding. It is my daily commuter and gets 81MPG. It is great, but low end is not great for acceleration. My thought is to replace the gas engine with an electric tied right to the variator for the CVT transmission. My hope is that the motor will not have to work nearly as hard with the CVT since it does not shift and adjusts according to need. The beautiful thing is, the electric motor would certainly take up less room and removal of the gas tank, along with abundant room under the fairing should give me a sizeable battery. I am looking into an add on tachometer to gauge the revs at speeds. I am looking for information on motor sizing, and what other components I will need.

Switch to 13g rollers, makes a big difference.

Back