Compleate noob

Pykid

1 µW
Okay so I ended up buying one of those Chinese grom clones and am actually enjoying using it around new york city but I've been dealing with random loss of power and have to shut off the bike and reset it with this key hole on the side of the bike. I'm 99%sure one of the cables connected to the battery is not making the best contact or even coming loose at times. On my dashboard I've seen the battery percentage jump from 70v down to 20v in an instant.
I'm planning on upgrading the batteries first anyway (wouldn't mind suggestions) to extend the range so I can use this for deliveries. I want to maybe rewire the batteries to A. Stop it from shorting out and B. See how much space I have to work with in the first place
I'm a compleate noob when it comes to EVs and want to know if I need to get a specific wire for this
Thank you for the help

Having to cut power to restore the bike's function is characteristic of the BMS doing what it's supposed to do. You probably have a weak cell group that drops enough under load for the BMS to say "nope", but you keep waking it back up and continuing to beat on it anyway.

If you can probe your cell group voltages with a multimeter, you can figure out if there's a balance problem.

Short of that, you can start at you battery power connector, inspect it for problems, then move down the line checking all the battery to controller, controller to motor, and controller to display console connections. Look for signs of heat, arcs, and terminals that are damaged or backed out of the plug housings.

Thank you for explaining this so clearly first of all and for the suggestions.
The reason why I'm leaning towards one of the connections being lose is because this usually happens when I hit a bump or pothole.

Yup, sounds like a loose connection.
Start with the battery connector & work down the line to the controller. Unplug each one, check the pins are pushed all the way in to the plastic housings & pull the wires to make sure they're properly crimped.
Let us know what you find. We're all here to help each other learn stuff mate.

AussieRider

Back