Colibri eMoto

craciunptr

100 µW
Hello :bolt: :bolt:

My name is Petre

RW2VxBN26gtl4BJsjxzu2rLxGujxY0etNY_HpA0OocJm0BCgZAIIb7CLkMhiKmnhzgKYmDAQbaN2Y-nduP4lbcbXUSLIitkcfeX8n0F2o0qQSnQDOcJMN7ftGzQXrJ1XZwZFCYaBRqk=w2400

I love urban mobility. I have been cycling for most days of my life, including in winter!

nbkBTSdBVcWSDgvz7tBkXelSRLacb8at73FYEMBpVnVTfpN6rxtjNwoNxgsB_kGn4oXBWFUFTQkjG8Qb16SwGFrlnJmaZAtTNvbBvsDRtXLtV0KzeFZjeL_yxykciAF79-e-JyAhCSM=w2400

In my previous life I created the world's lightest folding bike - www.hummingbirdbike.com. I even made a super light 10Kg electric model with the help of ZEHUS.

I love cycling around, but I know it's not for everyone, especially if you don't want to get to work sweaty or don't have showers at your workplace.

It was actually my dad who inspired me to become interested in electric mopeds, as he saw them as a good alternative to cycling. I believe that being able to zip through the city at any time, rush hour or not, is an amazing opportunity. No matter what mode of transport you choose, beside driving a car, it helps everyone in the city - It's what I call a win-win. Drivers have less traffic, pedestrians have less pollution, and everyone gets to where they want faster!

So for my birthday last year my dad bought me an Electric powered copy of a 1960's Vespa, from SUNRA. I immediately fell in love for multiple reasons:
  • No sweat
  • It's faster than a bike, especially for 10 mile rides
  • You can go on a date and carry a passenger, the moped definitely adds sexy points!
  • Zero noise and pollution - so very similar to a bike.

However, I could also see its downsides: the range, the weight, the fact that it cannot be parked it anywhere. You can't take it with you on a trip like a folding bike.

With this in mind, I am slowly putting together my new project, Colibri. I want to address the main pain points by building something in between an e Bike and an electric moped.

Here is a quick sketch I made, showing my intent.

O_LWQjeaNKaBAeTZFv0_DlOwQfGGpNbMuHzU_c5d-dZc0z7whAvWJOEBEmTclu94qiMlJzR6PhVRL5smhJC8wgXr1_ZxEyAHLKiU479Jmb0BwyEKh4tVsizymGK3dfb_B3FV4A2NRWE=w2400

I am basing it on a Super Soco TS which will be my mule for this project. I would like to try different configurations, so I ordered from QS motors 2 x 3kW motors. Both a mid drive and a hub motor.

I also ordered 3 x 72V 22AH batteries from a supplier.

I will keep you posted as I start working on designing the frame.

Also, if you have any advice, I'm a total noob in the Electric sector. Looking forward to receiving your hate or feedback!

Best wishes,

Petre

Back