New motorcycle conversion questions

Hello experts,

I've got myself a refitted emmo proton so I'm not completely new when it comes to mixing and matching components, but I'm new to this level of customization.

I found an old Honda CBR 125 locally for a great deal and I'm debating picking it up for a full 96 volt electric conversion capable of around 120kph. I plan on making pretty much everything from scratch and plan on using a QS 8kw hub motor, but don't have much experience with making a battery from cells alone but I'm eager to learn.

I've sourced the bike, i've sourced the cells, and sourced the motor. but...
I have no idea however where to find a BMS for the battery. I've looked online and I'm having a bit of a tricky time finding a 150-200a capable BMS for a 96v system (also how many cells make up a 96v system). If anyone can share a link of a bms manufacturer it would be greatly appreciated. Id like to go with a high power BMS rather than running directly off the batteries and only charging through the BMS. Just a personal preference.

On the note of number of cells. How many cells is a 96v system (LiFePo4). If 4 is commonly rated as 12v then 32 cells is 96v, but if i look at the actual voltage of 3.2v per cell, then its 30 cells.
So how many cells are really in a 96v system, 30 or 32?

Thanks in advance everyone.

LiFePo4 is generally 3.65v per cell fully charged. At 3.2v nominal, that would be 30 cells for the series parts of the battery , (30 x 3.2v = 96v) It would be 109.5v fully charged. (30 x 3.65v = 109.5v)

I have no ideas on a quality bms, but googling around for a 30s + bms + LiFePo4 will give you some options, albeit limited.

Thanks.
I wasn't sure at what point cells started to become rated at actual capacity vs rounded off 12v capacity.
I've actually managed to find a very good deal on a batch of 32 90ah batteries on ali express. Unfortunately there isn't anywhere local to me that sells LiFePo4 cells so china it is. I'm in Newfoundland so when I say local I mean the entire province.
I think through browsing I've been able to find a BMS. I found a youtube channel that built a 32s e bike battery and just followed their links. There was a charger also linked but I'd like a higher quality one than what they had so I'll keep looking for that.
I've got a 72v Luna charger at the moment and I'd love something with similar features.

Short shopping list so far (canadian dollars)
bike CBR125 - 800
battery/BMS 8.5Kwh - 1500
8Kw motor/200A controller - 1800

Base line it seems like I'm looking at around 4000 which I'll extend to 5000 for extra parts and accessories, and I'm happy with that. It's about 1/3 of a new Zero and about 1/2 as much as a used one.

I just don't know what kind of range to expect out of this dream build though (if my wife lets me start the project of course). Is there a handy resource online that can give me at least a ballpark range? I'd like to be able to hit 100km of range as my daily commute to work after I move is likely to be around 50km round trip (average speed 60-80kph).
My napkin math says 90ah should be enough (roughly 130km) but its a very rough napkin so I'd love to get a more accurate number.

For constant 80kph you need 5-6kw depending on your aero. So 100km is possible.
For 110kph you need 10-12kw.

dominik h said:
For constant 80kph you need 5-6kw depending on your aero. So 100km is possible.
For 110kph you need 10-12kw.

Thanks for the input. The motor I'm looking at is rated for 16kw peak, so while it might be a little harder on the batteries it seems that I would have just enough power to hit highway speeds at least for a short period of time.

Back