Alternate Parts Sources

Hey, just decided to offer what I've discovered, and ask if anybody else has similar advice while working on older Escooters, and Emotorbikes.
So I picked up a 2000 LV Hua from Shenzen. Yeah, a 21 year old bike based on a 70s-90s style stepthru moped frame. Obviously sourcing parts to rebuild it hasn't been a picnic. The best thing I've discovered is that the old, really early bikes like this tend to use a LOT of parts ripped straight off of the original gas engine bikes their frames are based on. This week's example is the flasher relay for the turn signals. LV Hua barely exists as part of Shenzen anymore. They only have 2 models in production in 2021, neither of which even slightly resemble the ancient thing I'm rebuilding. So I can't get one from the manufacturer, but it turns out it's pretty heavily based on a 90s model Garelli moped, which uses a lot of Honda parts. So other than the drive system (ie: hub motor, throttle, controller) most of the electrical, specifically on the console cluster, lights and signals, can just be picked up anywhere you can get Honda parts, the the relay I need is only $15 at the local Honda dealership.
My next adventures are going to include upgrading to a 1500 watt motor and controller, from the original 350 watt, and finding old school moped drum brake parts.

So does anybody else have stories , insights or advice on rebuilding these dinosaurs? :)

Back