New build idea?

NickReyes

1 µW
Hi folks, I’m looking for a brilliant idea for building a kid's bike. Does anyone have something in mind already? I’d love to hear and give it a try before sharing the experience with you guys later.

I would consider using a 20-inch wheeled bike, and then buy the Golden Motor Magic Pie 4 in 20-inch. The controller is built into the center of the hubmotor/wheel, so it simplifies the installation and clears up half the clutter.

For a battery, I'd adapt an EGO yard tool 56V battery. I have had an electric mower and weed-wacker from EGO for about 8 years, I have beat the hell out of them, and the battery is still working fine, with about 20% less range. Store batteries at 50%-80% in a cool area (not direct sun) for max life.

You can limit the speed and power with the dashboard.

I typically mow the yard at about 50%-80% fill at the start (per my research). Then I charge to full. Then, I do the weed-wacking and that knocks the charge down to 80% for storing over the week. The electric version of a mower allows me to quietly mow early in the morning, before it gets hot.

Sometimes I charged to full while drinking coffee and checking emails, then mow plus weed-wack to end up at 50%, then store for a week.

After experimenting with Echo 58v, Greenworks 60v and Ego 56v, I'm leaning toward the Ego battery because it holds its own in the price range for 4-5Ah batteries, also has bigger 7.5 and 10 Ah ones.

I just mounted an Ego on my project 24in dual suspension mountain ebike, and I am currently torture testing it mounted on the extreme end of my rear bike rack. Needs more support to reduce vibration.

I prefer the vertical mount instead of the horizontal mount because the weight of battery in the horizontal position tends to jostle loose and shuts down power to the Bafang motor.

Attachments

• IMG_0643.JPG
    IMG_0643.JPG
    685.2 KB · Views: 343
ngant17 said:
just mounted an Ego on my project 24in dual suspension mountain ebike, and I am currently torture testing it mounted on the extreme end of my rear bike rack. Needs more support to reduce vibration.
You're torture testing your rack, probably more than the battery.

I'd get a BMX bar or some other handlebar with a crossbar, and mount the battery there. Your grips will keep you informed about how much thrashing it's taking.

Back