RE Class full sized scooter

Grautuefel

100 W
Hey Guys,

Wondering if anyone would know of a proper RE class available in australia? Looking at getting one for the missus, the commute would be 22km each way, so having much more than 50km range isn't required, the clincher is that she's probably safer on the highway with almost the whole journey within a 90-100km/h zone. I have not been able to find a sit down scooter (she wants to be able to wear dresses) that is properly capable of 100km/h. By my estimate that would require something like 20-25kw, is this correct? Most of the electric scooter max out at 8kw and even then its an advertised 8kw (ie momentary peak) with continuous power being more like 3kw.

No small wheeled scooter is properly capable of 100 km/h. It's a dice roll every time.

If you can score a maxi scooter like a Silver Wing or a Burgman with a knackered motor, that would be a start.

"No small wheeled scooter is properly capable of 100 km/h"

That's what I figured and why I was looking for a full size RE class (RE is the local motorcycle license equivalent). Am I on track for the power requirements though? I had looked into hub motors and very few seem to be able to deliver sufficient continuous power, maybe rip out the engine, leave the drivetrain in place and bodge up a mid mount. Might be a little more work than I am looking for at the moment....unless we get another big lockdown

A 6kW hubmotor is sufficient to sustain 100kph. With 13" wheels you're looking at just over 1000rpm. There are a few OEMS.

Grautuefel said:
Am I on track for the power requirements though?

Your lady should be able to sustain 100 km/h even into a mild headwind with 12-15 kW at the wheel (depending on size of bike and fairing).

Going to side with Chalo on this, not a single 8kw scooter I have seen even claims to be capable of 100km/h, 15kw min it is.

SlowCo said:
Sounds like a great plan to commute with a scooter on the highway at 100km/h in a dress...

Having done it myself, its not as breezy on the nethers as you would expect. The big front fairing stops all but the most vigorous crosswinds.

Grautuefel said:
SlowCo said:
Sounds like a great plan to commute with a scooter on the highway at 100km/h in a dress...

Having done it myself, its not as breezy on the nethers as you would expect. The big front fairing stops all but the most vigorous crosswinds.

Yes, it's the crosswinds that you should be worried most about. Not the safety at those speeds on the highway...

A little update, the 13kw version is non-existent as far as I can establish, put a deposit down on an BMW CE04. We'll see how they go when one lands in a few months.

I'll try and actually make something of it, video and thoughts maybe, but I cannot stand the sound of my voice. Delivery is now expected July

Minor update, scooter has landed in the country and just being complianced, should have it shortly. Missus has done an extra 5! days motorcycle training to reacquaint herself with riding in traffic and all safety gear purchased (including under skirt hip, thigh and knee armour)

Back