O-ring chains and alloy sprockets

How much do o-ring cost in HP or mileage? I've done some internet digging and most opinions are from ICE motos where a loss of 1HP is not a big deal. Same goes for alloy vs steel sprockets. I have a hard time believing that a lighter sprocket would make any difference at all, given that it's ~8" of (very little) rotating mass.

Non oring chain has the least drag,if going with a oring chain the X-ring version has the least drag.I can notice a difference on my Surron.

I swapped the stock 48t steel for a 52t alloy and non o-ring chain. Holy hell is the difference. Four teeth is a change but I think the non o-ring chain actually made a difference as well. I can't believe how hard it accelerates with a 4t difference, I'm thinking the chain was a surprisingly large factor.

I find exremely unlikely that chain makes difference in *acceleration*. Some top speed - sure, as well as some mileagle, but *torque*? No way, it just does not work that way. You need a controlled experiment...
As for 'rotating mass of an alloy sprocket' - this is just lol :)

It is surprising to inexperienced ppl how much drag and power loss there is when using o-ring chains.
You will feel the difference on 5hp, it's not worth it for me, even an x-ring robs too much power on such a low-performance bike like lightbee.
I did install a nickel 420H chain, the larger chain's master link clicks on the frame at the swingarm pivot. :roll:

BalorNG said:
I find exremely unlikely that chain makes difference in *acceleration*. Some top speed - sure, as well as some mileagle, but *torque*? No way, it just does not work that way. You need a controlled experiment...
As for 'rotating mass of an alloy sprocket' - this is just lol :)
Have to agree that torque/acceleration, and top speed are not affected, only mileage. I also agree the alloy sprocket thing is complete bs. I'll be replacing the alloy sprocket with steel soon when the alloy wears out and starts messing with chain wear.
Meantime maybe I'll try a titanium rear axle.

Kids, the alloy sprocket's weight advantage is realized in the reduction of un-sprung weight, not so much concerning the rotating mass (esp at lightbee speeds lol).
The tradeoff of shorter service (esp if neglected) for lightweight alloy is the owners call. It's an option originally generated by the competition aftermarket.

Back