Sevcon gen4 - cant get my head around

flob

100 mW
Hi all,
recently i asked if the sevcon gen 4 needed a precharge, and it turns out it does not.

But i still cannot figure out how that will work with my wiring (diagrams attached) or if i need to alter my wiring, using the Kelly still..

OK for those having trouble to follow the drawings, here in words:
And sorry if i get some of the terminology and electrical drawings wrong but i am neither an EE nor a native english speaker...

For the Kelly:
Bat+..e-stop..fuse..contactor.. Kelly...Bat- (basic principle for the power side)

Turn the e-stop will "leak" the precharge through the resistor charging the caps in Kelly on the HV side.

Turn Key will power lights, dc/dc, etc and kelly, also it will enable power to the "kill switch" on handlebar.
Closing that kill switch will allow 12V to close contactor, enabling the HV side of drivetrain (with caps already charged). Only now throttle will spin the motor.
So i manually close the contactor through the kills-switch

For the sevcon:
Now omitting the precharge resistor for the sevcon.
Turn e-stop will only feed power to the (still open) contactor.. no precharge possible. HV side still open loop.
Turn key will enable lights, kill switch, dc/dc...and feed sevcon 12 V for its logic side.
Still no precharge.

IF i now close the kill switch on handle bar (between sevcon`s logic output and contactors "logic" side) , the sevcon will close the contactor without being precharged.??
So it does it all by it self and i hear a click? after a second? ready to go?

OR am i missing somthing still.

MIght all sound like a noob question ... but i really do not wand to trash my new sevcon.

Stromlaufpan v01 Regler.jpg
Stromlaufpan v01.jpg

Thanks for your clarification.

Flo

Do you have the Gen4 manual? Should be available on Thunderstruck's website, just search it in your browser. Also, do you have DVT and an IXXAT cable?

Also, make sure your contactor does not have an economization circuit, the Gen4 takes care of that as well. Caused me headaches for awhile until I figured that one out.

Hi,
yes i have the manual, but it shows only a simplified example wiring diagram.
And it shows key-switch at pack voltage!!!
Which i cannot believe being true. Who in his right mind would like near 100vdc on his handlebar.
Could be soled by switching through yet another relay but its drawn just like that.
Yes i have this xdat thingy (usb to can converter) do not have the software though. and no clue where to get it.

Yes, it seems really dumb but you need full battery voltage to the logic input.
It is important that it is stable, the voltage is compared to what it gets on the pre charge and then decides when the pre charge is finished.
See the sevcon thread: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36146
You get the program from a reseller of sevcon, like kit elec shop for example.

WHY
does it not turn?

now i have al connected up according to to the diagrams, i get the contactor to close, i have a solid green LED.
I have checked everything tripple, all seems fine...
changing the three motor leads does not ´help.
changing sin/cos either.
throttle cables , just to make sure.. nothing..

It seems to "fire" up one coil but goes no further. One can hear some humming and the axle turns about 0,5 deg. then.. nothing.
see video attached.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCr8XT-gClY
to me this points to encoder but i get green lights ??

any ideas?

thanks
flo

Back