Charge port advice and opinion needed.

Hi guys,

I have a 10mm hole in my scooter that i would like to use as a charge port mount.
charge_port.jpg

My charger is a cycle Satiator 72V, it has an XLR plug that i'm getting an adaptor for.

attachment-2.jpg

I got bought this 5.5 x 2.5mm female port to go with the adaptor.
Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 10.08.31 AM.png

I'm getting mixed review about this set up. The battery builder thinks it's not safe to to set it up this way.
The charger company don't recommend it.

What do you guys think? I'm really set on using the 10mm existing hole for a charge port. Any ideas?

a hole pointing vertically up is asking for water to get in there and make your life miserable.

something with a waterproof cap would probably be better.

id also point out those connectors are rated at 50v and your charger is 72v?

so.....itll will probably be fine at 72v.....but probably best not to use them.

jimmyhackers said:
a hole pointing vertically up is asking for water to get in there and make your life miserable.

something with a waterproof cap would probably be better.

id also point out those connectors are rated at 50v and your charger is 72v?

so.....itll will probably be fine at 72v.....but probably best not to use them.

Those female connector has a waterproof cap on them. They are also mounted under my seat, so super slim chance that water can get in.

Any idea on a charge port that fits inside the 10mm opening?

kingkongshrimp said:
I have a 10mm hole in my scooter that i would like to use as a charge port mount.

How many amps do you want to squeeze through that hole? I roasted a couple of 5.5mm charge plugs before deciding they weren't for me. I would consider 5A to be the upper limit of how much current is reliable long term with that kind of connector.

Chalo said:
kingkongshrimp said:

How many amps do you want to squeeze through that hole? I roasted a couple of 5.5mm charge plugs before deciding they weren't for me. I would consider 5A to be the upper limit of how much current is reliable long term with that kind of connector.

Thanks for sharing. I definitely don't want to roast anything on my scooter. I guess i will have to find another method. I think the charger is pushing 15A out.

In your situation, I'd use a chassis punch to widen that hole, then install an XLR female panel mount plug there.

Neutrik_NC3FPP__24964.1562190676.jpg

kingkongshrimp said:
I think the charger is pushing 15A out.
A 300w Satiator at 72v can't push that high a current. Max will be around 4A.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/slredirect/picassoRedirect.html/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?ie=UTF8&adId=A0212734BD7WKWJ3H9DS&qualifier=1648077911&id=1214070041212765&widgetName=sp_detail2&url=%2Fdp%2FB08L4B9HVY%2Fref%3Dsspa_dk_detail_1%3Fpsc%3D1p13NParams&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwy

I use these on my builds :thumb: One is mounted on top of my plastics often getting wet or covered in mud.One i just mounted in my crf450 fuel tank filler cap hole.Never had a problem letting in water and charged at 15a completely fine.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZhudaTrddN/

Can clearly see it in use here fella :thumb:

speedy1984 said:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/slredirect/picassoRedirect.html/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?ie=UTF8&adId=A0212734BD7WKWJ3H9DS&qualifier=1648077911&id=1214070041212765&widgetName=sp_detail2&url=%2Fdp%2FB08L4B9HVY%2Fref%3Dsspa_dk_detail_1%3Fpsc%3D1p13NParams&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwy

I use these on my builds :thumb: One is mounted on top of my plastics often getting wet or covered in mud.One i just mounted in my crf450 fuel tank filler cap hole.Never had a problem letting in water and charged at 15a completely fine.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZhudaTrddN/

Can clearly see it in use here fella :thumb:

Thanks for the link. I just bought some XLR, if they dont't work out, i will get these.

Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up getting an XLR and mount the port under the seat. I'm pretty happy with it.

charge_port.jpg

Elektrosherpa said:
kingkongshrimp said:
Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up getting an XLR and mount the port under the seat. I'm pretty happy with it.

charge_port.jpg

That will look absolutely great in side view with you sitting on it :lol:

Good imagination! :shock:

Back