Motorcycle Electric Conversion - component planning

jober1979

1 µW
Hello,

I'm putting together a plan to convert a full-size ICE motorcycle to electric drive. I'd like to get some feedback / input on what I'm thinking, and hear of any potential pitfalls I haven't considered.

• Battery: LiFePO4 3.2V 160aH 30sP1 - 96V, 15.36 kWh
  • Motor: Motenergy ME1115 or QS 8000W
  • Controller: ? - depends on motor. Leaning towards a Kelly KLS96601-8080I - especially with the Motenergy motor - because it seems like it could handle the power that the motor could draw and would be relatively straightforward to program.
  • BMS: ?
  • Donor: would prefer an SV650 or similar, but I'm not going to commit to anything until I've settled on the drive components.

My goal is a full-size bike that will haul my thicc ass back and forth to work in nice weather - the drive is just under 20 miles, up and down some non-trivial hills (which is why I'm going for so many kWh in the pack - the Kelly controller would allow for regen too, although I haven't made a call on that one way or the other.) I'd like to keep the outlay for parts in the $5k range.

If anyone has any experience with a 30s BMS for LiFePO4 batteries, I'd be interested to hear more. I'm thinking at this point that I'd like one with separate charge / discharge ports, as I plan to bypass the BMS for discharge - I have only seen BMS modules that can handle something like 150-200A, far less than the motors I'm thinking about would be capable of pulling.

Thanks for reading!

jober1979 said:
Hello,

I'm putting together a plan to convert a full-size ICE motorcycle to electric drive. I'd like to get some feedback / input on what I'm thinking, and hear of any potential pitfalls I haven't considered.

• This is a large battery pack, and heavy. 3kg each cell, x 30, is 90kg, which is over 180lbs. That type of cell also usually needs compression (without it cells tend to swell up and can be damaged by that); if so, you'd need to build a reinforced box that can provide that against hte large-surface faces, which will add volume to the battery box. . If you made a pack 3 cell stacks wide with 10 cells in each stack, you'd get a block about 174mm x 462mm x 540mm, plus call it 30cm (could be less) for wiring/terminals/etc, plus whatever extra the casing adds (let's call it a couple of cm on each side), so assuming I can math today (doesn't always work) guesstimate of 224mm x 482mm x 560mm? (8.8" x 18.2" x 22")

The cells are not very capable (specs quoted below). Only 160A (1C) max out of that pack at 1p, and continuous ("typical") should only be half that (0.5C), so only 80A. At 96v x 80A is only 8kW. Will that climb the hills you have, or maintain the speed you need?

If you haven't already done so, you may want to simulate your situation and guesstimate the battery power, controller power, and motor power needed to do the worst-case parts of your rides. You can do this with some customizing effort at http://ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html , as all the parts pre-listed there are for ebike-class stuff, so you have to use the "custom" option for battery, controller, and motor (though you could use the listed cromotor to start guesstimating with).

Typical capacity 160Ah @ 0.5C discharge Discharge current 0.5C with 2.5V cut off. (25±2)℃
    Typical Voltage 3.2V Discharge current 0.5C with 2.5V cut off. (25±2)℃
    AC Impedance Resistance ≤0.50mΩ
    Standard charge and discharge Charge/Discharge Current 1C/1C
    Pulse Charge/Discharge Ccurrent(30s) 0.5C/0.5C The maximum charge current of the battery does not exceed 1C under 0℃~45℃.
    Charging Temperature 0℃~60℃ Reference Continuous/Pulse Charge/Discharge Current Map
    Storage Temperature - 20~60℃ Battery can work at specified temperature range with capacity loss in tolerance.
    Typical dimension Width):174 (Height):154 (Thickness):54 Thickness(300±20kgf,40%SOC)
    Weight 3.00±0.10kg

[*]Motor: Motenergy ME1115 or QS 8000W
    [*]Controller: ? - depends on motor. Leaning towards a Kelly KLS96601-8080I - especially with the Motenergy motor - because it seems like it could handle the power that the motor could draw and would be relatively straightforward to program.
    [*]BMS: ?
    [*]Donor: would prefer an SV650 or similar, but I'm not going to commit to anything until I've settled on the drive components.

My goal is a full-size bike that will haul my thicc ass back and forth to work in nice weather - the drive is just under 20 miles, up and down some non-trivial hills (which is why I'm going for so many kWh in the pack -

WHat speeds do you need to reach and maintain, for what distances? (is it the same speed for the entire trip, or different speeds for different segments, etc?)

What are the specifics on the hills?

Do you ever have headwinds?

Do you ever have detours? Of how far?

How much power you need depends on the speed you want to go (air resistance, etc) plus the weight of the entire setup and you and anything you carry, plus the slope of the hills, plus any headwinds (air resistance again).

How much capacity you need depends on how much power you need, and for how long you need that power.

It also depends on the C-rate of the cells used, and how many parallel cells in your pack, and how much current you have to draw from them to get the power you need. Sometimes you end up with a pack much much larger than necessary for the range desired simply because the cells used can't supply the power without being mulitply-paralleled.

the Kelly controller would allow for regen too, although I haven't made a call on that one way or the other.)
Unless you're using a hubmotor, you probably don't want to use regen; putting the power back thru a drive belt or chain with a sudden emergency stop might be more than it could handle, or it could stress the motor mount or shaft or bearings, etc. As long as there is no clutch or freewheel between wheel and motor, you *can* do regen with non-hub-motors, as long as all the stuff between them can handle the shock loads of hard emergency braking under worst-case conditions.

If anyone has any experience with a 30s BMS for LiFePO4 batteries, I'd be interested to hear more. I'm thinking at this point that I'd like one with separate charge / discharge ports, as I plan to bypass the BMS for discharge - I have only seen BMS modules that can handle something like 150-200A, far less than the motors I'm thinking about would be capable of pulling.
The cells you're going to use can't handle that anyway, so it isn't necessary to use much larger a BMS for them, or to bypass the BMS. You'd also need to limit the current on the controller so that it does not draw more than the cells can handle (the BMS shouldn't do this, as it will just turn the bike off completely while riding whenever overcurrent happens, while the controller just ceases increasing power output and maintains it at that limit).

Regarding the current capacity of the BMS, when going high current you are probably better off using a contactor instead, and having the BMS simply be able to control the contactor instead of onboard FETs, so you do not lose the ability for the BMS to prevent pack damage or fires due to overdischarge of cells, etc. You can modify a lower-current BMS to drive a contactor. You'll probalby have a contactor anyway just so you can do precharge of the controller before connecting the battery to it when turning on the bike, so you're just adding one more device's ability to turn the contactor off (it doesn't have to be able to turn it on).

amberwolf said:
This is a large battery pack, and heavy. 3kg each cell, x 30, is 90kg, which is over 180lbs. That type of cell also usually needs compression (without it cells tend to swell up and can be damaged by that); if so, you'd need to build a reinforced box that can provide that against hte large-surface faces, which will add volume to the battery box. . If you made a pack 3 cell stacks wide with 10 cells in each stack, you'd get a block about 174mm x 462mm x 540mm, plus call it 30cm (could be less) for wiring/terminals/etc, plus whatever extra the casing adds (let's call it a couple of cm on each side), so assuming I can math today (doesn't always work) guesstimate of 224mm x 482mm x 560mm? (8.8" x 18.2" x 22")

The cells are not very capable (specs quoted below). Only 160A (1C) max out of that pack at 1p, and continuous ("typical") should only be half that (0.5C), so only 80A. At 96v x 80A is only 8kW. Will that climb the hills you have, or maintain the speed you need?

Thanks for the context. I'm new to all of this, so I'm still getting my head around what all of the relevant considerations are. Is this why more electric motorcycles DON'T use LiFePO4 cells - not energy-dense enough?

amberwolf said:
If you haven't already done so, you may want to simulate your situation and guesstimate the battery power, controller power, and motor power needed to do the worst-case parts of your rides. You can do this with some customizing effort at http://ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html , as all the parts pre-listed there are for ebike-class stuff, so you have to use the "custom" option for battery, controller, and motor (though you could use the listed cromotor to start guesstimating with).

Typical capacity 160Ah @ 0.5C discharge Discharge current 0.5C with 2.5V cut off. (25±2)℃
Typical Voltage 3.2V Discharge current 0.5C with 2.5V cut off. (25±2)℃
AC Impedance Resistance ≤0.50mΩ
Standard charge and discharge Charge/Discharge Current 1C/1C
Pulse Charge/Discharge Ccurrent(30s) 0.5C/0.5C The maximum charge current of the battery does not exceed 1C under 0℃~45℃.
Charging Temperature 0℃~60℃ Reference Continuous/Pulse Charge/Discharge Current Map
Storage Temperature - 20~60℃ Battery can work at specified temperature range with capacity loss in tolerance.
Typical dimension Width):174 (Height):154 (Thickness):54 Thickness(300±20kgf,40%SOC)
Weight 3.00±0.10kg
Great resource, thanks! :thumb:

WHat speeds do you need to reach and maintain, for what distances? (is it the same speed for the entire trip, or different speeds for different segments, etc?)

I'm planning to ride on hilly back roads, and occasionally/briefly on faster 4-lane roads that get close to highway speeds. I'd like the top speed to be in the 75-85 mph neighborhood, if possible. Fast enough to be able to pass safely, but it doesn't need to be faster than that.

How much power you need depends on the speed you want to go (air resistance, etc) plus the weight of the entire setup and you and anything you carry, plus the slope of the hills, plus any headwinds (air resistance again).

How much capacity you need depends on how much power you need, and for how long you need that power.

It also depends on the C-rate of the cells used, and how many parallel cells in your pack, and how much current you have to draw from them to get the power you need. Sometimes you end up with a pack much much larger than necessary for the range desired simply because the cells used can't supply the power without being mulitply-paralleled.

Again, the LiFePO4 cells seem to work against me here - as you pointed out, it's bulky/heavy enough just getting enough for 1 series, let alone multiples in parallel. I had sized the pack for 96V, on the assumption that efficiency scales with voltage. But if that's not as crucial as I had been thinking, I can go back and re-think my options on battery cells.

Unless you're using a hubmotor, you probably don't want to use regen; putting the power back thru a drive belt or chain with a sudden emergency stop might be more than it could handle, or it could stress the motor mount or shaft or bearings, etc. As long as there is no clutch or freewheel between wheel and motor, you *can* do regen with non-hub-motors, as long as all the stuff between them can handle the shock loads of hard emergency braking under worst-case conditions.

That's exactly the sort of thing I haven't been considering, thanks. My thought was that regen would be useful if only because there's so much elevation change around my area - I know it wouldn't recapture all of the energy expended going uphill, but it could at least recoup some losses. But from what I gather, on a 2-wheel vehicle it delivers pretty meager returns.

The cells you're going to use can't handle that anyway, so it isn't necessary to use much larger a BMS for them, or to bypass the BMS. You'd also need to limit the current on the controller so that it does not draw more than the cells can handle (the BMS shouldn't do this, as it will just turn the bike off completely while riding whenever overcurrent happens, while the controller just ceases increasing power output and maintains it at that limit).

Just to make sure I've got this: the limiting factor on how much current the battery pack could supply is the amp-hours of the cells connected in parallel (So 160Ah 3.2V LiFePO4 cells connected 30s1P would be able to supply 160 Ah at 96V; whereas the same cells in 15s2P would be 320 Ah at 48V).

Regarding the current capacity of the BMS, when going high current you are probably better off using a contactor instead, and having the BMS simply be able to control the contactor instead of onboard FETs, so you do not lose the ability for the BMS to prevent pack damage or fires due to overdischarge of cells, etc. You can modify a lower-current BMS to drive a contactor. You'll probalby have a contactor anyway just so you can do precharge of the controller before connecting the battery to it when turning on the bike, so you're just adding one more device's ability to turn the contactor off (it doesn't have to be able to turn it on).

So if the BMS detects too much current, it trips the contactor and interrupts the circuit? That makes sense - for some reason though I'm still having a tough time understanding how the BMS is isolated from the amount of current the controller could theoretically demand under full load. Hypothetically, pulling away from a stop on a slight incline could demand more current than a lower-current BMS would be able to handle, right? Using the example above, if I had that 15s2P LiFePO4 pack, would it require a BMS that could handle >320A? A contactor protecting the BMS in that circuit would just cut the power entirely, wouldn't it...? Apologies if there's something really obvious here that I'm missing, lol.

Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it.

jober1979 said:
Just to make sure I've got this: the limiting factor on how much current the battery pack could supply is the amp-hours of the cells connected in parallel (So 160Ah 3.2V LiFePO4 cells connected 30s1P would be able to supply 160 Ah at 96V; whereas the same cells in 15s2P would be 320 Ah at 48V).
Watts is V x A you get the same watts 15.36kW 96V x 160A and 48V x 320A each equal 15360W
What you need are cells with a higher C rate.
Same size cells but with a 3C discharge 96V x 480A = 46080W

later floyd

I will try to explain there may be mistakes in my explaination.
jober1979 said:
This works on single port BMS, other styles of BMS I don't know but should work as long as the negative connection is used to control the discharge.
The BMS C- wire connects to the negative input terminal of an appropriate buck converter, a wire from the the most positive terminal of the battery is connected to the positive input terminal of the buck converter. From there the output wires are connected to the coil terminals. these wires only have to be big enough to handle 10-15A at the max? The BMS B- wire can be connected with the same size wire.
If your controller doesn't provide a built in precharge circuit you need to provide one. Before the controller is powered on.
The main negative of the battery(2/0-2 awg) wire goes to your controller negative terminal.The main positive (2/0-2 awg) wire goes to the contactor terminal. The other contactor terminal connects to your controller positive terminal with the same size wire as the main positive wire.. The BMS never sees the full Current. All protections except overcurrent are still provided by the BMS.
Most contactors have a lower voltage coil 12-24V is a common range I have heard of 48V coils, with the voltages and current handling capablities od the contactor being much higher.
I made this crude circuit drawing with only a precharge resistor not precharge relay circuit, No key switch (ignition switch),
1_diagram.png
If there are mistakes in the diagram someone please tell me.
later floyd

jober1979 said:
Thanks for the context. I'm new to all of this, so I'm still getting my head around what all of the relevant considerations are. Is this why more electric motorcycles DON'T use LiFePO4 cells - not energy-dense enough?
Not necessarily, just not those specific ones. ;) But generally, the LiFePO4 for the same volume / cost is probably not going to supply as much current as other cell types...but it will probably last longer overall, and in certain ways perform "better" (most of it's discharge curve is "flat" so performance stays about the same thru the entire capacity).

There is always a tradeoff between c-rate (current-delivery ability), capacity, size/weight, longevity, charge rate, cost, etc. There are also different form-factors (cylindrical, prismatic (like those), pouch) that can affect performance or how you have to build the pack (which affects it's final size/weight/ratio-of-usefulness).

I'm planning to ride on hilly back roads, and occasionally/briefly on faster 4-lane roads that get close to highway speeds. I'd like the top speed to be in the 75-85 mph neighborhood, if possible. Fast enough to be able to pass safely, but it doesn't need to be faster than that.
Unfortunately, "hilly back roads" won't help you find out how much power you need. You'll need to verify the actual slopes to determine necessary power, or else just build something that can overcome *any* slope you would find on a road (which can be very steep) and still maintain the speed you want, without overloading battery, controller, or motor. That could get expensive, and be unnecessary. ;)

If you have a smartphone, there are apps that can help you map your route and include slope information. I think Strava might do it, and there are others I don't know about. You'd just mount hte phone to your existing ride so it is flat and parallel to the ground, then go along your route(s) the new ride needs to handle, and then you can look at the data later to see what the worst case slopes are and how long you'll be on them. That will then let you use the simulator and other tools to find out how much power you'll need, and how much battery (wh) you'll have to have to complete the trip with capacity to spare.

The speed is important because the faster you go, the more power you need because of wind resistance (and it doesn't go up linearly, it goes up by some power-of-something, perhaps exponentially but I don't recall...the calculators and simulators take care of this for you generally). There are often published Cda / cds specs for existing vehicles you can find that you can then plug into the simulators to help properly calculate air resistance at various speeds. Otherwise, you can assume yours will be worse than whatever it says, and add some margin of extra energy / power to ensure you have enough, just in case.

If you have headwinds, then those add to the speed you're going. Let's say you're going 85mph, and there is a 25mph headwind. That means that as far as power usage is concerned, you're going 110mph. That is a HUGE difference in power from the 85mph requirement, so if your systme can't supply that, your bike will slow down (or overheat, or both) in those headwinds, to whatever ground speed + headiwnd speed is possible with the available power. And because it is taking more power than usual to go the groundspeed you're after, it's eating up batteyr capacity faster, too, so if you don't have an extra margin of pack capacity to account for this, you won't get where you are going.

The motor/trip simulators will help you figure out what you need, but you have to ahve the specific conditions available to plug into it, or it won't give you useful data (or what it gives you won't be sufficient for reality, and you'll find out after you built it and get stuck somewhere).

Again, the LiFePO4 cells seem to work against me here - as you pointed out, it's bulky/heavy enough just getting enough for 1 series, let alone multiples in parallel. I had sized the pack for 96V, on the assumption that efficiency scales with voltage. But if that's not as crucial as I had been thinking, I can go back and re-think my options on battery cells.
Efficiency vs voltage or current depends on the specific parts you use, and their specifications (like what winding (kv) the motor is vs the speed you need it to go vs the gearing to the wheel vs the wheelsize, and what the efficient RPM is for that motor, etc).

Technically it's more efficient ot use higher ovltage and lower current because there is less loss in the wiring, but if you keep wiring short and fat then for vehicle-sized stuff it shouldn't make all that much difference. ;) Plus it is easier and cheaper to find lower-voltage parts to do the same jobs.

It is also lower demand on the cells (lower current at higher voltages to get the same watts out of a system), so you need less parallel cels of a specific model to do the same job...just more of them in series. It's a balancing act, between cost of all the parts and space to put them and weight/volume on a portable system, and trying to not push anything near it's limits (because the harder you push things the more likely it is they will age faster and fail quicker or more unexpectedly).

If you pick parts (including cells) so you are using them at only half of their capabilities, they'll last a lot longer and perform a lot better than if you use them at the edge of their capabilities. It's not always possible to do this...but when it is, you'll have a more reliable system, assuming all the parts and build quality are good, and the system will have more room for pushing it harder under unusual circumstances, or increasing it's power output later if it turns out to be necessary, without replacing a bunch of stuff.

That's exactly the sort of thing I haven't been considering, thanks. My thought was that regen would be useful if only because there's so much elevation change around my area - I know it wouldn't recapture all of the energy expended going uphill, but it could at least recoup some losses. But from what I gather, on a 2-wheel vehicle it delivers pretty meager returns.

Typically you could get maybe a few percent back from braking and downhills from regen, with the common implementations of it in the average controller. If you had a system optimized for regen in all components for minimal losses and used the best possible methods to generate the regen power from the motor and recapture it, you might get a little more, but it isn't usually enough to build a system around that capability and depend on it to do what you want the system to do, range-wise. COnsider the regen a "free snack" to go with the lunch you paid for already, in your capacity / range calculations. ;) Depending on how you ride and where, you could get more "back" just by riding differently (not accelerating as hard, riding just a bit slower, etc).

It doesn't realy matter hwo many wheels the system has, either; the more wheels (and perhaps the more motors) connected to the drive/regen system, the more the regen is distributed amongst them, and "shock loads" the system a bit less, and perhaps has more braking power for the energy recaptured vs heat generated, but there is also more mass to stop and thus more to re-accelerate, and likely makes the math a wash.

Not just the Ah in parallel, but the C-rate of the cells, which is the C-rate number (1C, 0.5C, 2C, 10C, etc) multiplied by the Ah (Capacity). A 320Ah pack of 0.5C cells supplies 160Ah, regardless of what size the cells are or how many in parallel. A 160Ah pack of 1C cells does exactly the same.

Then there is also the total watts you need for a job; that's amps times volts. So a system with twice the Ah but half the V using the same C-rate cells will not supply any more W, so it is no more capable (power), and has no greater capacity (range). 160Ah x 96v = 15360Wh; 160Ah*0.5C x 96v = 7680W. 320Ah x 48v = 15360Wh; 320Ah*0.5C x 48v = 7680W.

So if the BMS detects too much current, it trips the contactor and interrupts the circuit? That makes sense - for some reason though I'm still having a tough time understanding how the BMS is isolated from the amount of current the controller could theoretically demand under full load. Hypothetically, pulling away from a stop on a slight incline could demand more current than a lower-current BMS would be able to handle, right? Using the example above, if I had that 15s2P LiFePO4 pack, would it require a BMS that could handle >320A? A contactor protecting the BMS in that circuit would just cut the power entirely, wouldn't it...? Apologies if there's something really obvious here that I'm missing, lol.
The BMS is there specifically to do just that--cut all power in case of pack danger of any kind (malfunction, empty, overcurrent, etc).

Your controller needs to be setup or chosen so it never overloads the pack in the first place. ;) That way the controller can roll back power when nearing or at the limits it's set to, rather than just shutting down. It just holds you at the limit that way.

The BMS, if it drives the contactor, would no longer be in series with teh main pack outputs to the controller. Usually it' current-monitoring shunts (if it has any) would be in series with those, so if they aren't it can't detect overcurrents. If you need it to do so, and it is capable of it, then you can use an external shunt placed in series instead, like the controller itself uses for such measurements. As long as that shunt outputs the same mV/A (millivolts per amp) that the onboard BMS shunts do, you can disconnect the BMS sense traces from those onboard shunts and then wire the two sense wires from the external shunt to where those traces connect to the BMS MCU or current-sense hardware inputs. The BMS only detects the voltage across them, not the actual current thru them, so as long as the scale is the same it doesn't know the difference. ;)

Back