Golden Motor 48V vs 72V

Braddudya

100 W
I may be acquiring a Golden Motor 5KW 48V motor.

https://goldenmotor.bike/product/48-volt-5kw-bldc-motor-air-cooled/

Is there any difference between the 48V and the 72V variants? They are the same price and I would think that any 48V motor can handle 72V as well just maybe not the additional wattage continuous?

If there is a difference is there any advantage to the 48V? I assume that it will just have a slower top speed of you run it at 48V.

This is for an e-motorcycle build. If you all have any controller recommendations I am also interested in those. Thanks

Hard to say what the seller is trying to do, but its an easy enough guess they are trying to get uneducated potential customers to buy motors based on voltage levels which are meaningless for motors as they prefer a range of watts.

If the motor comes with a controller, then the 48v could be a 80a controller to make 4kw or 72v using a 55a controller for 4kw.
KV could be the other part of the equation.
The website you link to isnt clear from the few seconds I went looking at it. I assume its just the motor.

You should just email them and ask them.

Email support says its the .ca guy not the .com guys, so thats good, should be good cs vs .com guys which I hear the .com guys have bad cs remarks on ES from years ago, not sure about now though.
1 (800) 717-1324
sales@goldenmotor.ca

Thank you Calab,

I have reached out to them and am waiting on a reply, but I ask here because I have also seen that their service is quite poor. Even on their own forum simple questions go unanswered. I got an incredible deal on this unit so I will have to figure it out.

To answer one of your questions though - it does not come with a controller. They do also sell and recommend the VEC300. The used project that I bought did come with one as well. But when they sell the bare motors you have to select the voltage which seems odd.

I heard back from golden motor and they were actually very helpful! I was worried based on what I had read from others but they replied quickly and fully to my questions.

Yes the controller can be set to 72v

No the 48v motor is not the same as the 72v

But yes you can use the 48v motor on 72v. Just have to be careful about spinning it too fast.

Back