Regeneration

Vaibhi

1 mW
Hello to all,
I am new to the EV world and I curious to learn about how these things function.
I am researching on motor controllers these days. I was on the Kelly controllers website and found the manual for KVD Trapezoidal controller. Under heading 2.1 general features feature 18 state "Brake analog regen mode.This regen mode doesn't need brake switch to support anymore.". Could someone please explain what this means.

Also, do you guys have any tips on how to learn about these in an organised way and faster?
Looking forward to your replies.
Greetings,
Vaibhi.

Yeah, that would be great to have it all organised and I suck at figuring out terms for searches. Have you checked out the Wiki page, it suppose to be helpful but it could be undergoing a revamp.

Vaibhi said:
Hello to all,
I am new to the EV world and I curious to learn about how these things function.
I am researching on motor controllers these days. I was on the Kelly controllers website and found the manual for KVD Trapezoidal controller. Under heading 2.1 general features feature 18 state "Brake analog regen mode.This regen mode doesn't need brake switch to support anymore.". Could someone please explain what this means.

Also, do you guys have any tips on how to learn about these in an organised way and faster?
Looking forward to your replies.
Greetings,
Vaibhi.

Hello calab,
thanks for your reply. About the Kelly controller thing, I emailed the company itself and I am waiting for their response. I will revert back as soon as I get something. About the research, I will take a look at the wiki page. Thanks for your advice.
Greetings,
Vaibhav Grover.

Vaibhi said:
Under heading 2.1 general features feature 18 state "Brake analog regen mode.This regen mode doesn't need brake switch to support anymore.". Could someone please explain what this means.

In my understanding this means that regen starts "automatic" at zero throttle,
to get a behaviour similar to a 4stroke combustion engine,
which starts "motor braking" as soon as you do not accelerate.

Depending on the controller (like the Silixcon), regen can be offered in many different ways
- ON/OFF switch (controller can offer low pass filters to ramp up and down, max intensity...). This is usually done with a brake lever switch to activate regen when braking,
- Variable regen with the equivalent of a thumb throttle to activate a variable amount of regen
- Throttle cutoff. When the throttle is off regen is activated. Controller can offer ramps, min speed to activate variable amount based on speed... This is similar to having an engine brake
- Regen on reverse pedaling for cadence sensor equipped bikes...

And if they offer these you can implement several of them.
On my bike I have a Brake lever switch that activates a very high amount of regen when I brake (with a ramp in the controller).
And I also have regen activated above 8mph when the throttle cuts off with a lesser amount to create the equivalent of an engine brake.

Hi Mr. Scrambler,
thank you very much for this organised info.
Have a good one.
Vaibhi

Hello good People,
I got the following reply from Kelly controllers about the analog regen braking thing:
" This is used for brake analog regen mode. It needs 0-5V brake signal from pin2 port. Usually you need to connect brake throttle to pin4, pin2, pin20 for this signal providing."

Hope this helps.
Greetings,
Vaibhi.

Vaibhi said:
" This is used for brake analog regen mode. It needs 0-5V brake signal from pin2 port. Usually you need to connect brake throttle to pin4, pin2, pin20 for this signal providing."

Hope this helps.

Ahmm.... sorry, no.
I do not at all understand what they mean.
They want me to connect to 3 pins simultaneously???

I guess on the contrary. What I understand is that you only have to connect pin2 and not the pin2, 2 and 20 to make this work.
Nevertheless, I have sent them another mail asking about this. Will update if I hear something.
Until then, I have also attached a user manual for that controller, maybe that sparks something in your brain.
Greetings,
Vaibhi.

Attachments

• KellyKVDNUserManualV1.12.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
Hello good people,
in the mean time, could someone tell me which companies are the leading electric 2 wheeler motor controller manufacturers? I only know Golden motors and Kelly controllers. I also wanted to know if there is a way I can know the motor controller supplier for a 2 wheeler like for example the Vespa Eletritta or the OLA S1 pro?
Any help is much appreciated.
Greetings,
Vaibhi.

Back