Kelly KLS-H variable regen issue

soyachips

1 W
I have a Kelly KLS7250H and when I compare variable regen vs regen when releasing the throttle, the variable regen isn't as strong even though both are set to the same %.

Settings for variable regen:
RLS_TPS Brk %: 0
BRK_AD Brk %: 50
Brake Type: 1
Brake Dead Low: 15
Brake Dead High: 70
* When I look at AC Monitor, the range of "Brake Pedel" values is 25-180

Settings for regen when throttle released:
RLS_TPS Brk %: 50
BRK_AD Brk %: 0

Any suggestions on how to fix this or things to try?

Also the app says the range for BRK_AD Brk % is 0-50 but I've read other people suggest higher values. Do higher values actually work?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry, I don't really have experience with that model, but the manual is here:

https://kellycontroller.com.ua/download/KLS-H/KellyKLS-HUserManualV1.10.pdf

The manual states:
(12)Brake sensor Dead Low: Brake sensor Dead Zone Low. Range: 5~40
Functional description: Set throttle effective starting point
Suggestion: Set according to the practical situation, factory default is 20%*5V=1.0V.
(13)Brake sensor Dead High: Brake sensor Dead Zone High. Range: 60~95
Functional description: Set throttle effective ending point
Suggestion: Set according to the practical situation, factory default is 80%*5V=4.0V.

So it depends on whether you are using a resistor or hall sensor for the brake input. You need to specify the start/end voltages for the input.

Also states:
(1)RLS_TPS Brk %: RLS TPS Braking Percent, the percent of Releasing Pedal BRK in max
braking. Range: 0~50
This is used to adjust the regen current of releasing throttle regen mode type.The regen will
happen as long as the throttle is released completely.
Factory set is 0
(2)NTL Brk %: NTL Braking Percent, the percent of Neutral Braking in max braking. Range:
0~50
Only useful when you enable Three gears switch in user program.
The regen will happen when you turn F-N-R switch from Forward or backward to Neutral
position.
Factory set is 0

This is only for the coasting brake mode

and

(7)BRK_SW Brk %: BRK_SW Braking Percent, the percent of BRK_SW in max braking. Range:
0~50
The brake switch regen mode.You have to turn on the brake switch after the throttle is released
for the regen to occur.
Factory set is 10
(8)Brake Analog regen Brk%:It is used to adjust the max regen percentage of brake variable
regen mode.
This regen mode doesn't need brake switch to support any more for KLS controller.

So my guess is you need to up the "Brake Analog regen Brk%", up to 100%

soyachips said:
I have a Kelly KLS7250H and when I compare variable regen vs regen when releasing the throttle, the variable regen isn't as strong even though both are set to the same %.

"regen when releasing the throttle" and "variable regen" are two different functions and they are activated by two different signals.
"regen when releasing the throttle" is activated by the throttle position signal and adjusted by logarithm with the vehicle speed.
"variable regen" is activated by the brake pedal position signal and I think it is not adjusted by any logarithm.
So even that the values of both parameters are the same the motor response may not be the same as the signals and calculations are not the same.

I only have tested occasionally "regen when releasing the throttle" but never have left it activated in my wheel vehicles projects because I am always looking for the highest efficiency, and I want the vehicles to be able to roll without any resistance (coasting).
So I can not really tell you what exact values will be adequate in order to match both kinds of braking.
Anyway the best way to set up the regen braking power is trial and error.

I usually set it up to 30 for first tests. if it is too strong I reduce it and if too weak I increase the value.
When testing you have to check 2 things:
1- Obviously how strong is the braking power and if you want more or less.
2- When testing braking at high speeds (going downhill for example) need to monitor the max voltage regen does not go over the controller limit. If so you will need to reduce the value.

Brake Dead Low: 15
Brake Dead High: 70
That is only to determine the starting/ending point of the brake signal throttle.

Also the app says the range for BRK_AD Brk % is 0-50 but I've read other people suggest higher values. Do higher values actually work?
Range values in this setup are not the same as percentage :wink:
Just think that 50 is 100%, 25 is 50%, etc.
I am not fully sure now but I think if you try to set value over 50 at the program it will give you an error and will not accept it.

Thanks for the replies. I’ll just have to keep playing around with the settings to see if I can find the problem. My preference is to use variable regen but it’s just not very strong at the moment. The strange thing is it used to be stronger like when releasing the throttle but I played around with the settings after replacing the hall sensors in the motor and now struggling to replicate what I had before. Anyway will post an update if I find the culprit!

Back