How to wire lights to speed controller?

ATWasHere39

1 µW
So I'm a bit new to this but I'm tired of having to do maintenance on my 50cc scooter so I've looked into converting it to electric. The problem is I want to use my existing lights from the scooter and wiring harness with the motor and speed controller when the parts come in. I already have a 48v 10ah rechargeable battery but have no idea how to wire everything up and I need some help. I seen a video of someone that did it the way I explained but they didn't explain how they did it. If any of you guys have done it this way lmk, Thank you in advance.

Get yourself a 48V to 12V DC-DC converter rated for at least twice as many amps as the total load you'll be putting on it. Wire that converter to the battery with a switch (so the converter idle current doesn't drain your battery all the time). Then wire the lights to the 12V output of the converter.

If you don't know what wire goes where, start at the lights and follow the wires back to the fuse block or wherever they go. Pull the fuses for anything you're not using.

And just to add this explicitly: You don't wire the lights to your speed controller, at all.

Only wire them to the 48v-to-12v DC-DC converter's output.

The DC-DC converter's input goes only to the 48v battery's output (via whatever switch and fuse you use to control and protect the lighting system).

The speed controller is a completely separate system, only connecting to the same 48v battery's output.

If you're using the existing wiring harness on the scooter for things the scooter already came with, I recommend drawing yourself a complete wiring diagram including all the connectors, switches, and fuses, while you are tracing it out to find the wires you need for the lighting. This will help you later on as you do the conversion and if you ever have to troubleshoot anything.

Note that you won't be using that wiring harness for any of the motor, speed controller, or 48v battery systems. They will all have their own (or you will be making new ones for them).

The two systems (lighting and motor/controller) are completely separate.

Back