Relay diagnostic advice?

h0tsauce

10 mW
Looking for some advice on how to proceed with diagnosing an issue.
Last year I purchased a Chinese electric motorcycle. Overall, I love the motorcycle, but it's definitely Chinese. It's basically one of these: https://longzustar.com/electric-motorbike/electrical-racing-motorcycle-price.html
At least, the name Longzu Star appears on the motor and brake reservoirs. The motor is this guy:
https://www.qsmotor.com/product/17-inch-12kw-hub-motor/

So here's my question: there's a JD1912 12V relay under the seat. When it gets 12 volts of current, it allows the battery current through. When this relay is functioning properly, I turn the key, the relay closes, there's a beep from the controller, and the motor works. If the relay doesn't close, no beep, no motor, but the 12V system does still get power (lights, turn signals, speedo cluster all function).

I'm looking for insight into what conditions will cause this relay not to get the 12 volts it needs.
Here's what has happened:
Data point 1 -
Forgot to cover the motorcycle overnight while charging and it got rained on. Charge completed just fine, but relay wouldn't close. Voltmeter showed voltage varying rapidly between 5 and 9 volts. Which, notably, is not 12. Replaced the relay and the issue persisted, so I'd say the relay was doing its job and is not the problem. A couple hours later, voltage was varying between 7 and 10, and relay started showing signs of closing and opening. Getting closer. I let it sit overnight in the garage to dry out, and by morning the relay closed and stayed closed, and everything worked perfectly. So, I told myself, make sure that thing is always covered.

Data point 2 -
A week or so later, there was another heavy rainfall overnight while bike was covered (and not charging, which might be important?). The next day around 1:00, I uncovered the bike, spilling a gallon of water that had pooled on the cover over the gas tank. Bike started right up, I felt vindicated.

Data point 3 -
A few days later, I plug the bike into the charger and cover it, making sure the cover is over the charging plug (an Andersen connector) and the charger itself is closed in the garage. It rains overnight, but I'm not concerned because the motorcycle is covered. Go out around noon to go for a ride, and the relay isn't closing. Put it back in the garage and let it sit overnight, and the next morning it starts up no problem.

Does anyone know what this relay is likely to be responding to? Like, what is making the voltage drop, and is there anything I can do to protect it? My first thought is that some connection somewhere could use some lithium grease to keep water out of it, but I'd rather have some idea which one.
Some thoughts:
If it was simply that the bike was getting wet, then why did the issue happen when it was covered? The cover is apparently good enough that a gallon of water will remain pooled on it for several hours, so it doesn't seem likely that it leaked through. Is there something about it being plugged in during the rain? My cover did extend over the connecter, but maybe water splashed up under it somehow?

Any advice welcome, and please let me know what additional info I can provide.

Update In case this helps someone in the future: I traced the wires from the relay, and it looks like the 12V line is simply tapping into the nearest 12 volt system wire, which happens to be powering the turn signal relay. So apparently it's just making sure the 12V system is up and running before letting the bike start?
Also, the rain is either a red herring, or it did some lasting damage, because twice now I've gone out after fully charging overnight to a motorcycle that wouldn't start. The full charge seems to be what's causing the problem. Last time waiting about 24 hours was all it took to "fix" the problem. I suspect that will be the case this time as well. All I can figure is that when the battery is fully charged, the voltage is higher than the converter can handle now for whatever reason. I've ordered a new converter from Amazon that says it can handle up to 90V input. My battery puts out around 88.something when topped off, so hopefully that is enough leeway.

When it won't close, you can try measuring the 12v coming right out of the dc-dc converter. Either the dc-dc didn't like getting rained on or there is a bad connection in the wiring. On one of my projects, it took the dc-dc converter apart and fully potted it with epoxy glue. It will work under water now.

If you are planning to replace the dc-dc converter, you might as well take a look inside the one you have. Maybe all it needs is a little cleaning up and drying. Look for signs of water (corrosion) on the circuit board and connectors. Potting or conformal coating would be a good idea to prevent water damage.

fechter said:
try measuring the 12v coming right out of the dc-dc converter. ...
take a look inside the one you have... Potting or conformal coating would be a good idea to prevent water damage.

Thanks for the advice! I'll give all of those a shot. Really hoping it's the converter and not some connection somewhere

Back