Domino Throttle

teddillard

100 W
dsc4262.jpg

Hey kids - got myself a little birthdee present - one of those new yummy Domino throttles. The best part? 60º stop-to-stop vs. the Magura 75º.
Domino:
domino.gif

Magura:
magura.gif

The full write-up is here: http://evmc2.wordpress.com/2014/03/30/5k-ohm-throttles-domino-vs-magura/

Nice humorous blog.

The throttle looks like a real winner :!:

melodious said:
Nice humorous blog.

The throttle looks like a real winner :!:

except for the price!... and its still a pot.

Edit..
Is it a pot ?... just looking at the picture of it again it may not be :mrgreen:

Thanks melodious!

gwhy!, between the comfort of the grip and the twist rotation of only 60º, my opinion is that it's well worth the price. Not to mention the quality of construction and sealing, which will help with reliability, keeping both dirt and moisture out of the pot. If you're running a Magura you really need two, one for backup, as well.

Are there good options to using a pot, considering I need a 5K throttle for the AXE 7245? (Yes, it's a pot).

looks like they use a sealed pot but the throttle it self is not sealed (so the micro switch is still vulnerable to water)

where is the micro switch located?

Potentiometer Characteristcs:

- 5k Ohm ± 10%
- Nominal Voltage: 12 VDC
- Max Operating Voltage: 40 VDC
- Power Rating: 0,25 W
- Operating Temperature: -20°/+85°
- Protection Degree: IP 54
- 500,000 Cycles
- Linearity: ± 2%

Microswitch Characteristcs:

- Nominal Voltage: 2 A / 24 V
- Lifetime with resistive load of 2 W at 24 V: 500,000 Cycles
- Operating Temperature: -20°/+85°

Complete Accelerator Control Characteristcs:

- Operating Temperature: -20°/+60°
- Protection Degree: IP 30
- Operation: 300,000 Cycles

teddillard said:
Thanks melodious!

gwhy!, between the comfort of the grip and the twist rotation of only 60º, my opinion is that it's well worth the price. Not to mention the quality of construction and sealing, which will help with reliability, keeping both dirt and moisture out of the pot. If you're running a Magura you really need two, one for backup, as well.

Are there good options to using a pot, considering I need a 5K throttle for the AXE 7245? (Yes, it's a pot).

I don't under stand why such a big well know manufacture of throttles and other after market devices just don't make a good quality hall throttle,, after all car manufactures realized 3 or 4 years ago that using a pot is just not reliable enough . Anywhere a pot can be used a hall will do the job... dirt and moisture is not the main cause of pot failure on a throttle, its just wear..

Interesting - I missed that bit about the different specs for the separate parts. The microswitch is here, I'm pretty sure (right under the wire and the zip-tie):

dsc4265.jpg

mico switches tend to be pretty much splash proof anyway so I don't really see any issue with that, but the 500,000 cycles of the pot do worry me. yes it has a nice off the shelf renthal grip ( do the throttle come with the left side grip ) .

A mech similar to this V V V V is 100% more consistant, throttle rotation can be adjusted to suit, much cheaper to manufacture and best of all is more reliable than a pot.
throttle hardware interface.jpg

gwhy! said:
I don't under stand why such a big well know manufacture of throttles and other after market devices just don't make a good quality hall throttle,, after all car manufactures realized 3 or 4 years ago that using a pot is just not reliable enough . Anywhere a pot can be used a hall will do the job... dirt and moisture is not the main cause of pot failure on a throttle, its just wear..

It's absolutely ridiculous that 6 years into this for me, and we're still suffering with way less than perfect throttle control for a fair price. The EE's have really let us down in that respect. I blame low power ebikes for holding everything back, because they have so little torque that the throttle problem goes unnoticed.

gwhy! said:
A mech similar to this is 100% more consistant, throttle rotation can be adjusted to suit, much cheaper to manufacture and best of all is more reliable than a pot.

Got any information on that? Links?

Yes, both the Magura and the Domino come with both grips.

teddillard said:
gwhy! said:
A mech similar to this is 100% more consistant, throttle rotation can be adjusted to suit, much cheaper to manufacture and best of all is more reliable than a pot.

Got any information on that? Links?

Yes, both the Magura and the Domino come with both grips.

the device is something I made myself as I could not find anything off the self ( at a reasonable price ) that would do the job. its just a hall sensor that gets pulled to a magnet on one end by a throttle cable or sprung back to the mag at the other end. I Use these now for all my projects as they are so configurable, and as I have the moulds to make them they cost very little to make.

The magura grips are pants.. but at least with the Domino throttle you will be getting what looks like a much better quality grip, and the domino do look a much better built device.

GWhy,
That sounds like something we should mass produce. I actually need double throttles. I'll buy 25 or more if the price is right. Regarding grips, the clamping grips available for bikes cures the grip issues.

Hi Willow
Love your trike.
Can you tell me a bit about the motors you used for your 10" wheels.
I would like to convert a scooter and I am looking for information.
Hope you are doing well down in Tasmania and with the vehicle.

Regards
Daryl

Thanks Daz.

Motors are but 5302 crystalyte hubs in scooter rims.... they do they job but are are the limits of their performance. I would look at something like 2 Cro-motors next time if going for a high powered setup. Kelly controllers do a low cost range of hub motors in scooter rims that are worth investigating.....

link > http://kellycontroller.com/brushless-hub-motors-c-21_62.html

Willow said:
Thanks Daz.

Motors are but 5302 crystalyte hubs in scooter rims.... they do they job but are are the limits of their performance....

Your performance is limited because one is running in reverse and the angled stator lams make those X5 motors directional and the reversed one is of little benefit, if not a negative. Just about every DD hubbie I own (I have a bunch of different ones), if running a pair in that size wheel at adequate voltage, would make your trike scream. Some of the larger ones would push it past LFP's Death Bike in terms of performance. I love the trike, but hate the motors.

Doing some Googling, I came across this on eBay. $30. $6.95 for shipping. 10% off if you buy 3...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-KTM-50-TWIST-GRIP-THROTTLE-DOMINO-ASSEMBLY-1998-2011-MINI-SR-JR-45002010000-/390789743883

There is very little (if any) technical information, however, it sure looks similar and it's 1/3rd the price! I know Zero about gassers so this may be completely off the mark!

Hi Willow
Thanks for the reply.
The 5302 is probably not what I would be looking for but I would really appreciate if you had any links to its specs in a 10" wheel.

liamcaff said:
Will this plug into a Lyen 12FET controller? If so am interested.

are you referring to the Domino throttle or the throttle mech's ?

The domino throttle has a pot so it may need a bit of tweeking to get it to work as it should on a 12FET controller.
the throttle mechs are easy to adjust so zero throttle = zero throttle, max throttle = max throttle.

ambroseliao said:
Doing some Googling, I came across this on eBay. $30. $6.95 for shipping. 10% off if you buy 3...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-KTM-50-TWIST-GRIP-THROTTLE-DOMINO-ASSEMBLY-1998-2011-MINI-SR-JR-45002010000-/390789743883

There is very little (if any) technical information, however, it sure looks similar and it's 1/3rd the price! I know Zero about gassers so this may be completely off the mark!

No, you get a single throttle, they've already SOLD 3. They're $30/each, plus $6.95 shipping.

They were having a sale on most everything in their store at the time I posted. Buy 3 get 10% off. Must be over now.

DarylMc said:
Hi Willow
Thanks for the reply.
The 5302 is probably not what I would be looking for but I would really appreciate if you had any links to its specs in a 10" wheel.

follow this link - as posted before - link > http://kellycontroller.com/brushless-hu ... 21_62.html

A little update on the Domino - I just learned they upgraded the pot to IP67 specs. They're sending me one ASAP. Update to come...

Back