Brainpower motor controller

Bigtylee

1 µW
I need help! I have a 36v1000w brushed motor scooter, and I want to upgrade the controller to a Brainpower 38a brushless controller. Can I do that? And if so, what connectors do I use for 'charge', 'powerswitch', and regenerative breaks?

Bigtylee said:
I need help! I have a 36v1000w brushed motor scooter, and I want to upgrade the controller to a Brainpower 38a brushless controller. Can I do that?

Since your existing motor is a different kind, the new controller won't run it. You'll need to replace the motor with a new brushless motor with the same dimensions and mounting points (assuming it's a chain or belt drive from a frame-mounted motor), but that can handle the ~1500w the new controller can output. If it's a hub motor then it is "simpler" to get a new one to fit, usually, and often can simply move the old wheel and spokes over to it (but not always, so you might have to get a new wheel with motor built in or have a wheel built around the new motor at your local bike shop, unless you already know how to do this or are willing to learn).

Since your existing battery may only be designed to handle the 27-30A that the original controller and motor could pull, you may have to replace that as well, with one that can handle the higher current. At the least you may need to parallel a second battery of the same kind/size with the existing one, if the existing one isn't designed to handle the higher power.

Otherwise at best (if it's lead-acid / SLA) it'll sag in voltage a lot more than before, when under load; worse, if it is lithium with a BMS it would shutdown due to either excessive current draw or excessive voltage sag under full loads, stopping power to the scooter.

And if so, what connectors do I use for 'charge', 'powerswitch', and regenerative breaks?
"charge" connector would be the same thing you already use to charge your scooter with, unless you change the battery, in which case you might get a new charger with the new battery.

"powerswitch" would be the same power switch you already turn the scooter on with.

If you already have switches built into your brakes to cut off motor power, then you would use those same switches for regenerative brakes on the new controller. If there are no switches in your existing brakes, then you can look up the various DIY brake switch methods here on ES and use one of those,

(not every thing in the list below is relevant, but you can check them out to see which are)
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=diy+brake*+switch*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=firstpost&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

or replace your existing brake levers with some that ahve switches in them (there are plenty of those for both ebikes and scooters and motorcycles, you just have to get ones compatible with your existing brakes).

Back