Help replacing a controller for a 2007 Zapino scooter (or getting a new hub motor for a Kelly KLS sine wave controller)

__Tango

1 W
A couple of years ago, i killed the controller in my 2007 Zapino scooter. I started a thread about it here: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=74412. In that thread, along with help from ES, I found the controller is really two smaller controllers. The motor is a BLDC hub motor with 6 hall wires and 6 phase wires (3 for each controller).

When that failure occurred, I had just replaced the sealed AGM batteries with 60V of Enerdel NMC based Lithium batteries and an onboard charger. I figured I would do a larger upgrade on the scooter by replacing the hub motor with a non-hub motor (I chose the ReVolt RV-160 Short), and a Kelly KLS7240D controller, and then bumping the battery pack to 72V. I was going to replace the swingarm with something of my own design that would allow this type of change.

Long story short, I worked on it for a couple of months, but never finished it, and I need to clear out my garage so I want to get this thing into a reasonably fixed state. I figure the fastest way to do this is by getting a controller to replace the one that was on the zapino. I don't necessarily want to replace it with another Zapino controller, since they're crappy. If I were to replace it (and use the existing hub motor), I'm looking for suggestions on controllers to get. Also, Is there any controller that would run this 6 hall wire/6 phase wire motor? Or do I have to get 2 controllers?

The other way I could go is to use the Kelly KLS7240D controller with a new Hub motor. Does anyone have any suggestions for a hub motor that would be good for this? The existing hub motor has about an 11" diameter, and has a 3.5-10 tire on it.

Thanks!

You might check with John in CR to see which controllers he's using on his Hubmonster build, or see what's recommended in the hubmonster thread(s). They'd probably work with yours.

Make any progress with this project? I've got a Zapino as well and converted it from lead acid to a cheap chinese lithium pouch cell pack. I went with 72v 50ah and cut about 93 pounds off the machine. Just put it back together as the weather is improving and I stalled out on upgrades that involved pulling all the body panels. It now has dual USB3.0 ports in the dash, a windshield, upgraded rear shocks. Those followed installing a dual camera DVR setup a bit over a year ago that fails to power up now... aurgh. Also added a second dc to dc converter for the 12 volt equipment and as a backup for the stock one if need be. Now that I've got the scooter the way I basically want it, I'd love to figure out if there are replacement body panels that are universal for these sorts of electric moped thingies.

Your scooter is a wee bit different than mine. Mine is a 2009 and one of the things I looked at based on posts about the controllers was tearing mine apart before converting to lithium. Wanted to know what was actually in there... turns out mine is a single 6 phase controller and having no issues, we cleaned up the case and applied fresh heat sink paste to the appropriate parts before putting it back together. Also determined that there should be enough headroom for 72v upgrade from 60v (It has 100v caps) so went with that when ordering up a battery. While playing with it we found a switch inside the body panels and moved it to the handlebars... allowing legal 30mph limit or unlimited where it hits about 48mph now. I'm betting a better controller like a BAC would allow it to go faster with appropriate field weakening... but I'm already able to go far faster than is legal for it's registration and don't feel like getting ticketed for not having a motorcycle endorsement. When I did a very un official range test a year ago, I went about 84 miles before I decided it would be a good idea to plug it in... suspect I still had 10-20 miles left in it... but that is really pointless when it took me a week of commuting to put that much on it. I got a really horrible charger with the battery that went up in smoke during the first charge of the battery, but have a Grin Satiator that I use on all my bike batteries, so have been charging with that.

Any idea if there is a name to use when searching for whatever all of these have been copied from? I'm wondering if body/dash parts are identical to some 50cc gas scooter? Found the ignition switch is the same as a Schwinn which ripped of TNG Milano.

Good luck with yours and hope it's back on the road. Had fun today taking mine out for about a 23 mile run around the area playing Pokemon GO.

TAOTAO,ROKETA, Peace Sports TPGS-811 it was a hot body style back then. 2006-2010 funny how that worked in China

oh! and this: http://www.scooterparts4less.com/Moped_Web/Lance_Venice_150T_20_Electric.htm
Lance, Venice. lots of those made as well, apparently.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=TNG+Milano&t=canonical&iax=images&ia=images&iai=http%3A%2F%2Fep.yimg.com%2Fay%2Fyhst-92821211804676%2Ftng-milano-150cc-scooter-parts-2.jpg

TNG Milano

Apollo - Q-50, Q-150
BMS - Romans 50/150
Diamo - Classic 50, Retro 150
Eagle - Milano 50/150
Eaglecraft - Vintage 150a
Flyscooter - Rio 50/150
JCL - MP50T, MP150T
KMD - MC-811
Lance - Venice
Motofino - MF50QT-7, MF150QT-7
Motorino - Classico 50