3kw dirt bike conversion help!

Motolittle

10 µW
Hello friends!

This is my first post to the forum. I am grateful for your knowledge and experience. I have read other conversions before I did mine and did a ton of research.

I used a 1999 Yamaha xt350 dual sport rolling chassis. I bought the 3kw golden motor bldc And the golden motor vector 200 motor controller. Than I purchased an e bike battery pack 72 volt li ion pack with a BMS.

I first did a chain gear reduction 1:7 and it was too tall so I built a custom jackshaft motor mount and now have a 14:1 gear reduction.

I had the bike working great but than the controller gave out so It was still under warranty and I got the new one in and it refuses to turn on!!

I am stumped. I have checked the throttle and battery and set parameters on the controller and it just doesn't turn on as if no voltage but it's all plugged in and measures just fine. ... if anyone has ideas I would be grateful for help!

Also if this controller doesn't work I am asking for recommendations for a reliable powerful controller I'm thinking either the Kelly or maybe a Lynn or sobvuton(spelling?).

Thanks for looking! And I can't wait to ride my electric dirt bike again!!!

IF the controller is identical wiring/etc., and you've verified the connections, then it sounds like either they sent you a defective controller (probably not intentionally), or didn't even repair the one you sent back and just sent it right back to you unfixed. (or they "tried" to repair it and failed and sent it back to you anyway). YOu'd have to talk to GM about that.

To find out what other controller to use to replace it, you need to know what power levels it has to handle. Just the wattage of the motor isn't really enough.

Do you have any data on how much battery current was drawn by the old controller when it worked the way you wanted it to? Both during acceleration from a stop, and while cruising. And how much voltage sag there was at the same time? (this will tell you what the actual battery wattage was, to have some idea what the new controller has to handle at peak, and continously, so you don't have problems with it).

What other features would you like in a controller that you don't have in the present one?

I don't know what the GM supports, but if you don't already have it, torque (current) throttle control is pretty nice, compared to the more common "speed" control type.

There may be other features you may not know you might like, that you could get in a new controller if you're changing anyway. :)

Thank you Amberwolf for your quick response !

The controller I use is 80 amps continuous with a 100 amp fuse on the input terminals. It says it does max 200 amps phase current but I doubt that.

My battery is 72 volt li ion e bike batt 20 ah with a 50 amp continuos BMS and a 100 amp peak. I plan to put another battery in soon and was looking for something in the 200 amp range with say 150 amps continous so I know the motor controller should be bulletproof for my simple system also be able to dump more power to the motor. I am looking for off-road dirt high performance and not worries about range. Hopefully this answers your question.
Please feel free to recommend the brands you all use and rely on. Thanks!!

Do you all think the 72 volt 150amp subvoton controller is a good choice and would work fine with my gm 3kw non hub motor?

Sabvoton (sorry I can't spell it right).

Or do you guys think a different controller is better?

Back