Error code 4,2 KEB - please help

nrvwaters

100 µW
Hi Endless Sphere,

After years on back burners etc I have finally reached the point of trying to turn on my bike and I can't figure out why I keep getting error code 4,2 from my Kelly controller KEB7238. I have it connected to a Cyclone 7,500w motor. I've verified that the hall wires are connected as directed by Cyclone and all connections are good. I also have checked in the program that I've set it for 120 degrees on the Hall- not 60 (again per Cyclone's instructions).

I was looking around on this forum for others who had this issue and found one where Fetcher was suggesting to someone that they may have a bad ground (if I'm interpreting correctly). I'm pretty illiterate about all this kind of stuff and this all makes me wonder if I have the thing grounded correctly. At the moment I have the negative battery terminal going from the battery to the B- on the controller. Should that also be connected to the chassis, kinda like you'd find in a normal gas powered auto?

I'm worried that I have charged my lithium ion batteries to full and have no way to discharge them now.....
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

The attached photo is from around October of 2018 - before I finished the battery box and mounted the controller etc. I included it just so you can get the idea of what I'm building. I was inspired by the French guys doing LMX. I want more power though....

Thanks,
Stefan

There's apparently a number of issues with cyclone motors and halls, because of the way they're designed. There are some posts about it in various cyclone threads. The link below lists the posts with both words, but not all of them will be relevant; you'll have to poke thru them to find the ones that discuss it.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=cyclone+hall*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

HOpefully one of them is the same problem you have, and their solution will work for you, too.

Also, I can't see any image, just the word "image" at the end of the post. If you use the attachments tab belwo the box you type in for the post, you can directly upload your images, and anyone that can see the post can see the images.

Ok I got it running. I tried several things and to be honest I'm not sure what was the one fix. I believe what was related to the red error code 4,2 is that you want to make sure all phase and hall plus throttle wires are disconnected at the time of programming. Maybe thats not the case but it seemed that once I did that there was always a green controller light. Once I didn't disconnect all those wires and I got 4,2 again. One thing that was surely a part of the fix came to me from reading a post Fetcher did about this issue. He suggested that high hall voltage readings indicated an open ground somewhere. Clearly he has some fundamental understandings that I don't. Much appreciated. This got me to realize I needed a 6 gauge ground running from my negative battery terminal to the motor mount. I had thought sending negative to the controller meant the Kelly would send negative to the motor but at that point I'm thinking not. I didn't honestly go back and check my hall readings after adding the big cable - was just happy to have a green light. I checked that with Fany at Kelly. He said adding the negative cable was good. He also agreed that it is from time to time needed to run up to 12v on the Cyclone Halls. This seemed to be a theme in the forum, though mostly for 3000w motor. Mine is the 7,500w. I didn't try raising voltage to the halls because the other things resolved it.
After I got the error code to go away I didn't have throttle! Ended up digging around and following advise of other posters on Endless Sphere for controller settings to make it work. It helped me to disable both forward switch and foot pedal. That part of the notes section in the program that says "If enabled, throttle switch will be considered forward switch......" had me thinking that was to be enabled if I wanted a throttle, especially when it said "if both switches are on or off it will be considered neutral and throttle safety switch invalid." I've sent a note to Many about that and maybe Kelly will modify that language to help others with my ways of thinking to have an easier time. Anyway, it's all good at this point. Really appreciate this forum. I've been a lurker for many years. Lots of inspiring stories and helpful discussion. Thank yous.

Back