Quadra eqooder with zero powertrain

MitchJi

10 MW
Interesting leaning 4 wheeler. Probably insanely pricey because they don’t list a price.
https://electrek.co/2019/03/07/quadro-eqooder-electric-vehicle/
eQOODER-3_4-ant-jpeg-e1551969693720.jpg

The eQooder’s unique design requires the Zero ZForce motor to be coupled to a mechanical differential like a typical four-wheeled car. That provides the eQooder with smooth rear wheel drive. The system is also equipped with dual rear traction control to ensure proper grip and optimal safety.

Unlike a four-wheeled car though, the eQooder leans into turns and handles nimbly like a scooter or motorbike.

Unfortunately with more than three wheels in contact with the ground (or more than three wheels at all, in some places) by legal definitions in many places in the USA, it doesn't fit any of the motorcycle or scooter classes, leaving only the automotive classes (which it probalby doesn't qualify for for other reasons).

So I foresee problems either for the riders or the sellers or both, whenever LEOs decide to enforce that. :/

(it's basically why I don't have four wheels on SB Cruiser, cuz the definition of bicycle precludes it here in AZ)

In Europe they regard two wheels on one axle line that are less than 46cm (18 inch) apart (center to center) as one wheel.

The Piaggio MP3 when it first came out had the front wheel closer together so it was classed as a motorcyle. Then someone had the idea to add wheel spacers to go above the 46cm center to center and had it registered as a three wheeler/trike. That way you can ride it with a car drivers licence. Piaggio then took that idea and made the MP3 LT version available.

So when this Quadra eQooder has the front and/or rear wheels closer than 46cm together it might classify as a trike or even motorcycle in Europe. And then we also have a "Quadricycle" class (L7e) with vehicles that have less than 15kW continuous and are under 400kg (excl. battery).

https://www.transportpolicy.net/standard/eu-vehicle-definitions/

If they are using the new Zero SR-F drivetrain with 110hp and 140ft-lbs of torque, I bet it power wheelies!

I've never tried a tilting quad, it might be amazing to ride.

amberwolf said:
Unfortunately with more than three wheels in contact with the ground (or more than three wheels at all, in some places) by legal definitions in many places in the USA, it doesn't fit any of the motorcycle or scooter classes, leaving only the automotive classes (which it probalby doesn't qualify for for other reasons).

So I foresee problems either for the riders or the sellers or both, whenever LEOs decide to enforce that. :/

(it's basically why I don't have four wheels on SB Cruiser, cuz the definition of bicycle precludes it here in AZ)

In Europe such bikes are classed as motorcycles in the registration papers. But they does not get all motorcycles benefits. They cant legally ride the bus lanes, but still ride for free on toll roads. Even if the bike legally is considered at motorcycle you only need car license to drive them. Insurance is cheaper then a car and in many cities you can park for free on motorcycle designated parking spaces.

Add to the fact that they ride more or less like a motorcycle, yet does not require the rider to "balance" the bike at standstill and I think many EU riders or people that for some reason never took the plunge to ride motorcycles will be intrigued. The electric drive line will make this quad a thrilling ride I am sure of. Guaranteed to give the owners hours upon hours of quad fun.

Does it have benefits over a 2 wheeled traditional motorcycle? I guess not, except the contact patch is from 4 tires rather then two so extra grip in curves on slick or wet roads. But most likely the buyers of this quad will not be seasoned motorcycles riders. I would love this quad as a city quad. Or one to take to the beech or run to the store. But prices will be too rich for me. Who knows in a couple of years :D

liveforphysics said:
If they are using the new Zero SR-F drivetrain with 110hp and 140ft-lbs of torque, I bet it power wheelies!

I've never tried a tilting quad, it might be amazing to ride.

Hehe yeah that new 75-10 motor with 110 hp would a nice match. I am sure a little hot rodding will be possible, swap out motor and controller to the latest from Zero and really get your e-grin going :twisted:

Tilting 3 wheeler. IMO Zero should license this technology and make it available on every zero model.
[Youtube]T3TumQ-ueMU[/Youtube]

https://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/

Didn't take the time to watch that video, but iirc the company behind that tilting front end was also selling a DIY kit of those. So you could refit it to your own motorcycle.If they are still doing that you could have yourself a 3 wheeling Zero any day you like.

Back