Derbi senda X-treme SM

MarkerDave

1 µW
Derbi senda X-treme SM

Hello,

For my first project I plan on converting a 50CC Derbi senda X-treme SM to electric drivetrain.

The specifications that I aim for are 40 to 60 km of range on one charge, 10KW nominal power, top speed 120Km/h,
regenerative braking, everything aircooled and trying to keep the weight below 150KG.
Also this bike has to be streetlegal because I want to use it as a commuter bike.

Currently the project is in the early planning stages like figuring out which motor to get and how big of a batterypack could fit within the frame that is being used for this project without cutting or welding anything on the frame.

Here is a list of parts that I plan on using for this project:
Controller: ASI BAC 4000, because this controller is compact and can handle enought power for what I want.
Battery: 72V capable of 200+Amps, 20s13P 18650 pack, using cells that can handle a discharge current of atleast 20A.
Motor: QS 138 90H, Denzel D9000 or Motenergy ME1718.
I am still doing some research about these motors but for now I have read good things about the QS 138 70H that looks similar to the 90H, but I can't find much about the QS 138 90H.
The Denzel seems to be a bit of a hit or miss and for the Motenergy ME1718 I am unable to find any definitive specs or actual reviews.
Precharger: TBA
Contactor: TBA
Throttle:QS Z6 throttle looks good
BMS: should be able to handle 20 cells and 300A - 400A. AntBMS or Daly bms looks promissing,
need to do a little bit more research before I decide which one to get.

The bike before it was taken apart
Photo 12-10-2020, 14 56 57 cropped-small.jpg

Great bike to convert. But it will probably be very costly to get it tested and registered as an EV in the Netherlands to be able to insure and ride it legally. Will follow your build and wish you good luck and enjoyment! I think the Nucular controller will be the best user friendly and best supported option here on E-S: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=75494 Get on the waiting list asap.

BTW E-S member Xtr6 is a very knowledgeable Dutch builder with a lot of experience:https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=97163&p=1596381#p1596381

To get this roadlegaal in Holland you can forget that. The goverment has completly closed this path.

Xtr6 said:
To get this roadlegaal in Holland you can forget that. The goverment has completly closed this path.

As I don't know much about the rules(yet :p) so I'm curious, what makes you think this is not possible anymore? (besides it being expensive)

SlowCo said:
Sur Ron Storm Bee

Thanks SlowCo for the information, the Sur Ron Storm Bee looks like a good backup plan if the whole making it road legal is to costly and to much trouble.
I'll use the Derbi as a circuit trasher/experimentation bike if it's never going to be road legal.

And some picture of some cardboard prototyping done past weekends.
Initialy I considerd using a Revo RV_120E, but quickly changed my mind after reading that the build quality can be abysmal, not reaching the specified performance and also needing to make a casing to protect the motor which would complicate the build.
Photo 01-11-2020_rv_120E_resized_1.jpg
The Motenergy ME1507 was also not going to work because of its size. The battery would have to be made so small that it would not be able to deliver the minimum amount of energy that I would have liked.
Photo 24-10-2020_motenergy_resized_2.jpg
Photo 24-10-2020_motenergy_resized_3.jpg

First battery box design.
10X13 cell battery pack design 1.jpg
And first evolution and simplification of the first battery box design. :lol:
20s13P battery 2020-11-10.jpg
battery box 10x13 design 2 2020-11-10.jpg

that's all for now.

MarkerDave said:
As I don't know much about the rules(yet :p) so I'm curious, what makes you think this is not possible anymore? (besides it being expensive)

Because of all the rules that apply and the tests that you need to put it through will make it so expensive that it's just not going to be done. But I do hope you try and succeed so others can learn how to do it and what the actual cost will be.

Good luck, but you should first contact the RDW because even they don't know how to test it because the rules are changing by the day.

Back