Streetfighter/Sportbike build

Show off your E-Scooter or Motorcycle creation here.
Post Reply
kuoppis   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 13
Joined: Nov 11 2020 8:56am

Streetfighter/Sportbike build

Post by kuoppis » Nov 11 2020 9:43am

Hi all

I figured its time to start my own build thread now since i have some pictures to share. I have been lurking around this forum since this spring and gathering information from all of your wonderful builds. The orginal idea to build my own bike came from a friend of mine who said that motorcycle laws here in Finland have been changed in 2016 to make it easier for hobbyist to build and custom their own bikes. The Finnish Transport and Communications Agency "Traficom" is giving hobbyist frame numbers and after inspection they can be made road legal, ofcourse everything needs to be in order and there is a list of things which need to be passed.

So i figured i want to build (mostly) my own bike and not to do a conversion.

This summer i bought a Yamaha XJ600S from local scrapyard for 500€. It was not in working condition but it had a steel frame and some parts i would use.
XJ600S.jpg
XJ600S.jpg (50.36 KiB) Viewed 1447 times
I wanted to disassemble the bike in working condition if i wanted to use the motor for something or sell it. No spark so after cheking the wires and plugs i found that the ECU was placed wires sticking up and because of that it was full of water. After drying still no spark so i bought a used ECU for 35€ and it started. I drove around a little and then disassembled the bike.

Some parts im gonna use:
Head tube
Front fork and wheel
Rear swing and part of the frame where it attaches
Brakes
Some other small parts


Electric parts:
24s Prismatic Lifepo4 90Ah cells
QSmotor 12kW 6" hubmotor
450A ANT bms
Nucular 24F
TC Elcon 1,8kW onboard charger
Meanwell RSD-100D-12 Insulated 12v DC-DC converter

I have all of this stuff ordered and some of it have arrived.

Early sketches: (yeah i know snipping tool exists, i wanted it fast on my phone)
Sketch.jpg
Sketch.jpg (37.59 KiB) Viewed 1447 times
Batteryboxscetch.jpg
Batteryboxscetch.jpg (39.87 KiB) Viewed 1447 times

I am currently building the frame and its coming together quite nicely:
Frame1.jpg
Frame1.jpg (39.12 KiB) Viewed 1447 times
Frame2.jpg
Frame2.jpg (47.4 KiB) Viewed 1447 times
Frame3.jpg
Frame3.jpg (51.04 KiB) Viewed 1447 times
Batterybox.jpg
Batterybox.jpg (44.23 KiB) Viewed 1447 times
I will take better pictures later.
Lot to do still and i am planning on making fiberglass fairings.
I have a goal to finish this before next summer, so in around 6 months.

maSch   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 29
Joined: Jan 26 2020 6:04pm
Location: Old Europe

Re: Streetfighter/Sportbike build

Post by maSch » Nov 11 2020 4:00pm

hey Bro
looks resistant your frame
wish I could just go and cut&weld on the frame
here in GER the frame must be original to get it streetlegal without huzzle

perhaps you saw my EZUKI approach in the same forum
I also looked at Nucular 24F, but my batteries spit out over 90V

I wonder how you gonne manage that?
What voltage do you plan to drive?
kuoppis wrote:
Nov 11 2020 9:43am
Electric parts:
24s Prismatic Lifepo4 90Ah cells
QSmotor 12kW 6" hubmotor
450A ANT bms
Nucular 24F
what model is your hubmotor exactly?
6'' ?
the vendor told me that they dont sell the 12Kw any more, how did you get it?
Do you plan to use rear brakesor only regen-rear?
best
m

kuoppis   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 13
Joined: Nov 11 2020 8:56am

Re: Streetfighter/Sportbike build

Post by kuoppis » Nov 12 2020 12:50am

maSch wrote:
Nov 11 2020 4:00pm
hey Bro
looks resistant your frame
wish I could just go and cut&weld on the frame
here in GER the frame must be original to get it streetlegal without huzzle

perhaps you saw my EZUKI approach in the same forum
I also looked at Nucular 24F, but my batteries spit out over 90V

I wonder how you gonne manage that?
What voltage do you plan to drive?
kuoppis wrote:
Nov 11 2020 9:43am
Electric parts:
24s Prismatic Lifepo4 90Ah cells
QSmotor 12kW 6" hubmotor
450A ANT bms
Nucular 24F
what model is your hubmotor exactly?
6'' ?
the vendor told me that they dont sell the 12Kw any more, how did you get it?
Do you plan to use rear brakesor only regen-rear?
best
m
Hi

In Finland it was made possible to hobbyist build their own frames, it is said you need to convience the inspector that your frame is strong enough by showing him what tubing was used and how it was welded etc. I think the law was changed to support hobbyist chopper builders.
Here are some info. Couldnt find it in english but maybe this will help finnish user on this forum:
Form for getting your own framenumber:
https://www.traficom.fi/sites/default/f ... C512_W.pdf
Information on what will be checked in inspection:
https://www.traficom.fi/sites/default/f ... ksessa.pdf

With LiFePo4 voltage of the cell is little lower so having 24 in series i will have voltage nominal 72V and it fluctuates between 67,2V and 86,4V
(2,8V-3,6V per cell)

The hub motor i am using is this one:
QS Motor 12000W 17X6.0inch 12KW 70H V4
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001212 ... 4c4dvYX0og

The law requires rear brake so im going with both; pedal operated rear brake and regen. I would like variable regen if i find a throttle which twist also forward to vary regen. I know about vectrix throttle but its quite expensive.

I been following your EZUKI project and its looking good! Especially the torque arm which i have to machine also when my motor arrives.

j bjork   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 985
Joined: Aug 31 2018 3:01pm
Location: Linköping, Sweden

Re: Streetfighter/Sportbike build

Post by j bjork » Nov 12 2020 6:02am

The nuc sure is a nice controller, but it is for small bikes.
I dont know what controller would be a good match, but for a 12kw motor at "low" voltage it would be a big one.

AussieRider   100 W

100 W
Posts: 261
Joined: Jul 30 2010 9:03pm
Location: Seaford, Australia

Re: Streetfighter/Sportbike build

Post by AussieRider » Nov 12 2020 6:17am

You could use the clutch lever for regen couldn't you?

AussieRider
Evolving E-bike
Retro style mid drive beach cruiser
Mid drive chopper
EVT 168 scooter

Pentti M Reku   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 28
Joined: Oct 29 2020 2:51am

Re: Streetfighter/Sportbike build

Post by Pentti M Reku » Nov 12 2020 10:32am

Looks like a cool project. Any weight estimates? What is your plan for EMC testing?

kuoppis   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 13
Joined: Nov 11 2020 8:56am

Re: Streetfighter/Sportbike build

Post by kuoppis » Nov 12 2020 1:05pm

I will go with nucular, if i want more power later i will find something else. Batteries and motor should be able to handle more power.

AussieRider wrote:
Nov 12 2020 6:17am
You could use the clutch lever for regen couldn't you?

AussieRider
Using clutch lever could be an option for regen. I will think about it.
Pentti M Reku wrote:
Nov 12 2020 10:32am
Looks like a cool project. Any weight estimates? What is your plan for EMC testing?
The orginal XJ600s weighs about 200kg so im somewhere close to that since the old engine weighs around 70-80kg. And replacing it with battery that weighs around 50kg and hubmotor 25kg.

EMC is the hardest part. I emc testing have been done by the manufacturer for hubmotor, charger and dc-dc converter. Those and grounding everything is hopefully enough to "satisfy" the inspector.


Here is a better picture of the build. I am currently building the battery pack and waiting some parts to arrive to finish welding the tail.
IMG_6619-1.jpg
IMG_6619-1.jpg (60.37 KiB) Viewed 1367 times

maSch   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 29
Joined: Jan 26 2020 6:04pm
Location: Old Europe

Re: Streetfighter/Sportbike build

Post by maSch » Nov 13 2020 4:23am

ah, you are in Finland. What a dream to have some exception to get that streetlegal.
mistakes I made:
- trying to mount the HubMotor Rim without mounted tire. found out later that there is not enough room to mount it with the tire on.
- axle-length vs swing-arm drop outs. due to the original chain-drive the swing arms are often asymmetrical. the hub-motor axle might need to be asymetrical, too.
just my 2 cents

kuoppis   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 13
Joined: Nov 11 2020 8:56am

Re: Streetfighter/Sportbike build

Post by kuoppis » Nov 13 2020 5:16am

maSch wrote:
Nov 13 2020 4:23am
ah, you are in Finland. What a dream to have some exception to get that streetlegal.
mistakes I made:
- trying to mount the HubMotor Rim without mounted tire. found out later that there is not enough room to mount it with the tire on.
- axle-length vs swing-arm drop outs. due to the original chain-drive the swing arms are often asymmetrical. the hub-motor axle might need to be asymetrical, too.
just my 2 cents
Thanks for the tips!

I will definitely have a tire on when mounting the rim, i fear i might scratch paint the rim without tire.

I will have to look closer my swing, it seems symmetrical to naked eye. Anyway im gonna 3D print the dropout adapters/torque plate before getting machined ones. Also the swing is made of steel and back ends are open tubes, i will lenghten it with the adapters. Similiar to to swiftyds build: http://52.25.253.50//forums/viewtopic.p ... 7#p1540814

User avatar
macribs   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3692
Joined: Jul 22 2014 5:59pm

Re: Streetfighter/Sportbike build

Post by macribs » Nov 14 2020 12:25pm

Hope you get the plates so it will be legal. Cutting and welding frame is a no go in Norway. Only way to ever get a modified frame street legal is to have Tüv approval from Germany. Costly, and time consuming.

kuoppis   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 13
Joined: Nov 11 2020 8:56am

Re: Streetfighter/Sportbike build

Post by kuoppis » Dec 04 2020 12:20am

Hi

Not much has happened i've been busy with other things. Got hubmotor and a tire on it. Some progress with assembling the battery pack.
IMG_6681-1.jpg
IMG_6681-1.jpg (238.14 KiB) Viewed 1115 times
IMG_6682-1.jpg
IMG_6682-1.jpg (270.07 KiB) Viewed 1115 times

SlowCo   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1723
Joined: Jan 05 2015 5:43pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Streetfighter/Sportbike build

Post by SlowCo » Dec 04 2020 7:16am

Nice build so far. I'll be following your progress. Good luck and enjoy building!

kuoppis   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 13
Joined: Nov 11 2020 8:56am

Re: Streetfighter/Sportbike build

Post by kuoppis » Dec 09 2020 11:00am

I've been designing adapters between swing and the motor. It seems to be good. I printed it and it fits perfectly to my swing. What do you guys think would aluminium handle the torque?
adapterit1.PNG
adapterit1.PNG (292.58 KiB) Viewed 1018 times
IMG_6698-1.jpg
IMG_6698-1.jpg (336.6 KiB) Viewed 1018 times

Started wiring battery. Still waiting for some components.
IMG_6689-1.jpg
IMG_6689-1.jpg (390.38 KiB) Viewed 1018 times

User avatar
Dui, ni shuo de dui   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 560
Joined: Jan 29 2016 3:21am

Re: Streetfighter/Sportbike build

Post by Dui, ni shuo de dui » Dec 09 2020 10:39pm

kuoppis wrote:
Dec 09 2020 11:00am
I've been designing adapters between swing and the motor. It seems to be good. I printed it and it fits perfectly to my swing. What do you guys think would aluminium handle the torque?
adapterit1.PNG
From my experience I dont think so. We made something similar on a 8KW motor at first using steel and it wasn't enough. Itworks fine at first, then after a few cycles of high accelerations and high regen brakings it starts to move and grind itstelf.

You need to clamp the axle on the largest available spot, there should be a wider area a little bit closer to the motor on the left side. You're almost there with your design, but don't only clamp the thin part of the shaft. (sorry if my explanation is not very clear, I'll try to make a drawing if you don't understand what I'm talking about).
That's what we've done and in this case we just used a clamp made of 7075 aluminum, still works fine two years later.

Very nice build BTW, I somehow missed it. Keep up the good work!
:bolt: New Build in Progress: Electric Roadster, 30 000W Kelly KLS72701, 24S2P A123 cells :bolt:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=109246

:bolt: My electric Ninja 250 clone: 16 000W Sabvoton 72200, 23S2P A123 cells : :bolt:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=90032

:bolt: My electric Scooter: 11 000W Sabvoton 72150, 72V 50Ah LiFePO4 cells: :bolt:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=75912

kuoppis   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 13
Joined: Nov 11 2020 8:56am

Re: Streetfighter/Sportbike build

Post by kuoppis » Dec 10 2020 12:25am

Dui, ni shuo de dui wrote:
Dec 09 2020 10:39pm
kuoppis wrote:
Dec 09 2020 11:00am
I've been designing adapters between swing and the motor. It seems to be good. I printed it and it fits perfectly to my swing. What do you guys think would aluminium handle the torque?
adapterit1.PNG
From my experience I dont think so. We made something similar on a 8KW motor at first using steel and it wasn't enough. Itworks fine at first, then after a few cycles of high accelerations and high regen brakings it starts to move and grind itstelf.

You need to clamp the axle on the largest available spot, there should be a wider area a little bit closer to the motor on the left side. You're almost there with your design, but don't only clamp the thin part of the shaft. (sorry if my explanation is not very clear, I'll try to make a drawing if you don't understand what I'm talking about).
That's what we've done and in this case we just used a clamp made of 7075 aluminum, still works fine two years later.

Very nice build BTW, I somehow missed it. Keep up the good work!
Thanks for your input. I've read that there should be wider part on the axle and that was my plan to use it but there is not anything on either side of the wheel. Axle thread flats are the only place i can clamp to. The design i am using is the widest possible to fit axle nut on each side, around 27mm available space for clamps leaves just enough thread to fit normal nut.
Any other suggestions?

I also thought about tightening a nuts to inner ends of the axle and make a hexagon shaped adapter to clamp on those nuts.

Also the axle is different from 8kW motor. Its M22 compared to M18. The threads seem to be longer 45mm on each side.
I dont own a 8kW motor and im just looking at the drawings on qs motor site.

kuoppis   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 13
Joined: Nov 11 2020 8:56am

Re: Streetfighter/Sportbike build

Post by kuoppis » Jan 20 2021 12:28am

A small update, as i am waiting for adapters being made at local workshop i finished the battery and started wiring everything together.
IMG_6776-1.jpg
IMG_6776-1.jpg (406.93 KiB) Viewed 717 times
IMG_6777-1.jpg
IMG_6777-1.jpg (472.9 KiB) Viewed 717 times
IMG_6778-1.jpg
IMG_6778-1.jpg (443.92 KiB) Viewed 717 times
I will have soon to start making fairings. I think glassfibre is my only option since my 3D printer is small. Never made anything with glassfibre before.. going to be interesting.

User avatar
JimVonBaden   100 W

100 W
Posts: 205
Joined: Dec 19 2020 1:14pm
Location: Alexandria, VA
Contact:

Re: Streetfighter/Sportbike build

Post by JimVonBaden » Jan 20 2021 11:27am

Very impressive! I like the build so far!

Do you have a wiring diagram for the motor, battery and controller?

One small suggestion. I would consider adding a frame cross brace right behind your electronics box to keep the upper frame from spreading under load. It would also help to box in your control box.

Image

I'll definitely be watching this build.

kuoppis   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 13
Joined: Nov 11 2020 8:56am

Re: Streetfighter/Sportbike build

Post by kuoppis » Jan 21 2021 12:12am

JimVonBaden wrote:
Jan 20 2021 11:27am
Very impressive! I like the build so far!

Do you have a wiring diagram for the motor, battery and controller?

One small suggestion. I would consider adding a frame cross brace right behind your electronics box to keep the upper frame from spreading under load. It would also help to box in your control box.

Image

I'll definitely be watching this build.
I have a very grude version of the wiring diagram, some on paper rest is in my head :lol: electric side of this bike is definitely where im good at.

Do you think i need that cross brace? Does it seem like that would be weak spot? Frame feels very solid and upper frame is 40mm 2,5mm thick structural steel pipe.

kuoppis   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 13
Joined: Nov 11 2020 8:56am

Re: Streetfighter/Sportbike build

Post by kuoppis » Feb 13 2021 11:00am

Finally got adapters for rear wheel. Also brake caliber holder welded to swingarm. Build is taking shape, missing some wiring and miscellaneous stuff.
IMG_6839-1.jpg
IMG_6839-1.jpg (484.9 KiB) Viewed 441 times
IMG_6840-.jpg
IMG_6840-.jpg (413.53 KiB) Viewed 441 times
IMG_6842-2.jpg
IMG_6842-2.jpg (313.44 KiB) Viewed 441 times

Elektrosherpa   10 W

10 W
Posts: 82
Joined: Feb 07 2021 8:19am

Re: Streetfighter/Sportbike build

Post by Elektrosherpa » Feb 13 2021 11:47am

That looks promising.

But why do you let the seat go up so high in the back?
For solo driving you dont need a 2 person seat-and with a second person this will bring the weight too much up, in my opinion...

And an idea about regen:
In my build, I am thinking about using the handle bar levers for front and rear brake.
(ex clutch lever -> rear brake)
So the foot brake pedal could be used for regen.

kuoppis   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 13
Joined: Nov 11 2020 8:56am

Re: Streetfighter/Sportbike build

Post by kuoppis » Feb 13 2021 2:06pm

Elektrosherpa wrote:
Feb 13 2021 11:47am
That looks promising.

But why do you let the seat go up so high in the back?
For solo driving you dont need a 2 person seat-and with a second person this will bring the weight too much up, in my opinion...

And an idea about regen:
In my build, I am thinking about using the handle bar levers for front and rear brake.
(ex clutch lever -> rear brake)
So the foot brake pedal could be used for regen.
Seat maybe too high for passenger, will see. It will go lower on once there is weight on it ofcourse. I occassionally need the passenger seat for my girlfriend so thats why its two seater :mrgreen: If the weight is too much i will upgrade controller since that motor and battery can be used for higher power.

I will be using clutch lever for regen, i already have that handy chinese potentiometer for it. I have had motorbikes in the past and want those brakes where i am used to.

My main consern right now is glass fibre and making fairings. Never done it before so i hope i have read enough to know how to.

Post Reply