Swallow Z50 – electric scooter

gadabout

1 mW
2021-May 24-3.jpgThe Swallow Z50 scooter is based on a re-creation of the Swallow Gadabout, the first post-war British motor scooter which predated the Vespa and Lambretta invasion into the UK.
The origin of this project was the intended conversion a 1947 Swallow Gadabout scooter with a 122cc Villiers 9D two-stroke engine to electric power. However on reflection, it seemed a shame to mutilate a rare survivor, so it was decided to build an updated copy of the original design and incorporate front and rear spring suspension.
Construction began with the acquisition and then the dismemberment of an old pit-bike frame, which provided a head-stock and rear pivot bracket for a swing-arm. A second-hand set of Honda Z50R telescopic front forks, a Z50R swing arm and a pair of 270 mm shocks completed the planned suspension requirements. The original wheel-base of 52 inches has been maintained and combined with a fork rake 25 degrees provides satisfactory handling.
The frame is made of 45-mm diameter round steel tube which is dimensionally the same size and shape as the original Gadabout scooter and the handlebar arrangement has also been copied. Original 1940s parts such as a Villiers headlight, a Smiths chronometric d-shape speedometer and old chrome handlebar levers are also intended to help maintain the scooter’s vintage appearance.
The two eight-inch diameter wheels are Chinese copies of the original Honda Z50R wheels and will be fitted with period-looking 8 x 4.00 tyres. Cable operated front and rear 5-inch drum brakes are similar to the original arrangement except that the rear brake is now applied by means of the left-hand handlebar ex-clutch lever. The scooter’s rear bodywork will be aluminium panels on a steel frame and is designed to be interchangeable with the original Swallow Gadabout’s steel bodywork.
A basic 24v electrical drive system consists of two 12v 18AH SLA batteries connected to an e-bike YK31C controller and a 24v 350w geared brush motor. The transmission consists of a roller chain (#420) with a spring tensioner, driving a 16-tooth motor sprocket connected to a 37-tooth rear sprocket.

I've only had test runs around the garden - only intended for low speed operation. May road-test the scooter next week - will report its performance.

Fantastic build. I figure you are from the UK....i am in Australia and eager to follow this build. I seem to have no luck connecting with Villiers UK by email....not sure why. I have a mk1 and mk2 gadabout both with 122cc engine. I want to put a sidecar commercial box on the latter. Your idea of bolting the swingarm on is genius as it allows for lower profile tyres. I am running 10inch jap alloy rims as my barnfind had no wheels or axles. CheersIMAG0404.jpgIMAG0405.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0298.jpg
    IMAG0298.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 1,374
  • IMAG0298.jpg
    IMAG0298.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 1,374
  • 104610967_10223474359913048_4994868527434355755_o.jpg
    104610967_10223474359913048_4994868527434355755_o.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 1,373
I'm impressed with the amount of work you've done in saving this scooter and would like to see some more photos.

Is that the same manufacturer that made Swallow Sidecars, later known as SS then became Jaguar?

AussieRider

Swallow Sidecars eventually became the Swallow Coachbuilding Company (1935) Ltd. For more information about the connection with Jaguar see www.doretti.co.uk/page4.htm

I have a restored swallow Gadabout mk 1.5. Restored it about 10 years ago. My late dad bought one brand new in 1948 when he was just 16. Love the electric look! Would like to do one myself!
Cheers
Mark

I am now looking for information about an electric motor that would be suitable to replace a Villiers 125 cc (4HP) engine in my electric Swallow Z50 motor scooter.
Currently I’m using a 1020 500w 24v gear reduction motor, with a 420 chain drive, to prove it’s a viable project, but now I need an efficient and reliable source of power.
Some diy builders have mentioned the Lynch LM20S 5.5 kw/24v motor as a good motor to use - is this motor still available?
Are there any other small Lynch or Agni electric motors that would provide enough output give about a 30 mph top speed and a range of 20 miles for this scooter project in the UK?

Any suggestions for a suitable 24 or 48v battery, charger and controller combination to use with the motor would be most welcome.
Ken

Why not go for a hub motor? That would leave more room for batteries and storage. A QS 205 V3 50H would be ideal I think.

A hub motor is a good suggestion but it would require me to make a lot of mechanical changes.
Currently looking at a Motenergy ME0909 motor - any comments?

gadabout said:
A hub motor is a good suggestion but it would require me to make a lot of mechanical changes.
Currently looking at a Motenergy ME0909 motor - any comments?

What mechanical changes?
If you can find a second hand electric scooter with front end damage or dead batteries for little money, you can do a very cheap swap of the rear wheel with hub motor. And you'll have all the necessary components like controller, wiring etc. to go with it. Then find decent automotive battery cells (Nissan Leaf, LG) to make your own battery pack.

Dont know what you ended up getting but I have an ETEK motor in my scooter which I believe is the predecessor for the ME motors. It was set up in the early 2000s and has been going strong since with different batteries and controllers. Controller and wiring are dead simple because you can just make it a golf cart drivetrain. I use an Alltrax controller and rewired mine to be the Alltrax wiring diagram for simplicity. If you don't want to be able to program you could just use a Curtis controller or some other generic golf cart controller.

My re-engineered 1947 Swallow Gadabout vintage scooter is modified to electric power and only intended for occasional light-duty use in a flat suburban area.

I have decided to use a BAC2000 controller with a QS90 1KW motor driving a 14T sprocket connected by a #420 chain to a 45T rear sprocket on a 16 inch diameter rear wheel. Presently looking for advice on the capacity of a 48V battery. Would a higher voltage offer a significant advantage?

The scooter will only be used for a couple of hours of intermittent operation and a maximum of 25/30 mph, with gentle acceleration will be more than adequate.

See your other thread for answers to your new question (which you also asked there):

If you like I can merge the two threads to keep all your info and answers in one place.

I'm impressed with the amount of work you've done in saving this scooter and would like to see some more photos.

Hi, a few pics of progress. The prev white gadabout now running but needs the rubber metallastic front suspension renewed. Tried 2 part polyeurethane but it failed. Any help would be welcome. The other gadabout getting the engine rebuilt. I imagine your battery conversion is on the road.

Attachments

• IMAG1742.jpg
    IMAG1742.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 5
  • IMAG1743.jpg
    IMAG1743.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMAG1747.jpg
    IMAG1747.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMAG1745.jpg
    IMAG1745.jpg