KHB - Honda CR125

Will be following your build especially with you using the V3 motor with gear box :thumb:

I made the 125cc motor work, and it purrs like a kitten now. Also restored it to almost original with colors etc.

Restore plastic to orginal color and state as best possible.
Fixed hole and cracks in plastic with superglue and baking soda, and putty.
Change handle bar to 30 inch ( better in jungle ) and added over bar for more stiffness.
Changed back tire to new.
Changed foot pegs to bigger.
Changed exhaust.
New seat cover, orginal color
New front brake lever.
Changed almost all nuts and bolts.
New gasoline hose and filter.
Washed air filter and dipped in new oil.
Cleaned engine, clutch and carb.

Still missing, gas tank.

Screenshot 2021-06-21 at 21.17.16.png

So I was thinking about maybe adding a hub motor to the back wheel, and making it a hybrid instead, carrying the battery in a backpack for example.

·Rated Power: 3000W (6000kW peak in few seconds)
·Rated Voltage: 72V
Screenshot 2021-06-21 at 21.15.23.png

That would allow me to sneak out to where I ride in the jungle, without my neighbour being pissed by the loud loud engine.

Also could place the hub motor in the front wheel and make it 4WD, could make for some interesting Enduro.

Any input ?

I think the bike seems expensive for an old bike.
Cant you find a newer one with a blown engine or something for less money?

The battery pack, just no.
If it is built for 60A discharge a change of bms wont make it suitable for 200A.

Other than that I think your original plans were good.

I dont think a hub motor on a gas dirtbike is a good idea.
It will only get heavy and handle badly in the terrain.

hugok said:
I would sell it and buy a newer bike without / with blown motor.

+1 to that, if it's running well then selling it on would be best imo. Older off road bikes are (a bit) collectable and that one looks quite clean. Also,if you're set on hub motors and want something off road, it would be a waste to do it with that bike imo, suspension travel is it's virtue and adding lots of unsprung mass will effect it badly. Something without much travel like a flat tracker or Baja sled might be fun and maybe could work very well 2wd but something more modern going cheap with a mid motor is be best for a quick a off roader.

Maybe check lipo packs, they can pack a serious punch of amps for a low cost but don't last long (a few hundred charges usually) and can burst into flames and burn your house down if you're not careful with them! Incredible power for hardly any weight but not great energy density, other chemistries are far better for that and far lower cost in the long run (especially if the damn things burn down the bloody shed! ;) ).

kreal said:
stan.distortion said:
hugok said:
I would sell it and buy a newer bike without / with blown motor.

+1 to that, if it's running well then selling it on would be best imo. Older off road bikes are (a bit) collectable and that one looks quite clean. Also,if you're set on hub motors and want something off road, it would be a waste to do it with that bike imo, suspension travel is it's virtue and adding lots of unsprung mass will effect it badly. Something without much travel like a flat tracker or Baja sled might be fun and maybe could work very well 2wd but something more modern going cheap with a mid motor is be best for a quick a off roader.

Maybe check lipo packs, they can pack a serious punch of amps for a low cost but don't last long (a few hundred charges usually) and can burst into flames and burn your house down if you're not careful with them! Incredible power for hardly any weight but not great energy density, other chemistries are far better for that and far lower cost in the long run (especially if the damn things burn down the bloody shed! ;) ).

I cleaned it up good. No one cares about Older off road bikes "collectable" around here though. And it's impossible to find "broken" bikes around here as well. Trust me I've tried.

Back