First time builder looking for help

Jdawg183

10 µW
Hello all. I have been following this forum for a while and I have finally decided to take the plunge. I have an early 2000s pw80 that I am looking at converting. I am looking for a top speed of about 40 mph give or take, and hoping to get up to 40 miles of range. I think the QS 120 kit should give me the speeds I am looking for right? Initially I was looking at the QS 138 but I think that will be overkill.

Next problem, and this is where I really need help. Where are my USA friends getting their batteries from? I have been looking at some of the posts here and it looks like most people build, but is there anywhere that sells reasonable priced prebuilt batteries? I am guessing I will need probably 2 kWh try get the range I'm looking for. Alternatively, how difficult is it to build a battery and where do you get your parts from? I really apologize, I am a complete noob here and am really struggling to figure this all out. Based on what I have found it sounds like I will want lifepo4 batteries but the prebuilt ones I am finding are all 12v. Could I buy 4 of those too make a 48v battery?

imageedit_171_6303187192_91fa2496-b8d6-4d19-807a-e20e8f20ea39_740x.png

https://batteryhookup.com/products/samsung-ev-lithium-ion-12s-44-4v-47ah-2-07kwh-module-used

Samsung EV Lithium Ion 12s 44.4v 47ah 2.07kWh USED $96/kWh

$200

Completely avoid the battery DIY for now and buy that... you have to be careful with DIY because each little aspect takes hours and hours and projects stretch on for months.

You reduce the troubles with this type of battery which should be solid.

Jdawg183 said:
Hello all. I have been following this forum for a while and I have finally decided to take the plunge. I have an early 2000s pw80 that I am looking at converting. I am looking for a top speed of about 40 mph give or take, and hoping to get up to 40 miles of range. I think the QS 120 kit should give me the speeds I am looking for right? Initially I was looking at the QS 138 but I think that will be overkill.

Next problem, and this is where I really need help. Where are my USA friends getting their batteries from? I have been looking at some of the posts here and it looks like most people build, but is there anywhere that sells reasonable priced prebuilt batteries? I am guessing I will need probably 2 kWh try get the range I'm looking for. Alternatively, how difficult is it to build a battery and where do you get your parts from? I really apologize, I am a complete noob here and am really struggling to figure this all out. Based on what I have found it sounds like I will want lifepo4 batteries but the prebuilt ones I am finding are all 12v. Could I buy 4 of those too make a 48v battery?
some thoughts to show you some of the interactions between different choices you make. i recommend reading other build threads here (as many as you can) for more of this kind of thing that may help you see some of the things you may not have thought about yet, and help you understand some of the things you'll need to know to figure out everything you'll need for your conversion.

to get 40 miles out of 2000wh, you would have to be using the system in a way that only draws an average of 50wh/mile (2000/40) for the entire trip, and that assumes you will drain the battery completely dead from a completely full state, which gives you no leeway for aging of the battery, detours, headwinds, etc.

40mph is probably going to take more than 50wh/mile. my sb cruiser trike only does 20mph; it's very non-aero and heavy and it uses 40-60wh/mile or more depending on conditions, in traffic, on level city roads, with not much breeze. so it's likely you will use more than that, possibly double that. if you are riding in non-ideal non-flat conditions, you'll probably use even more.

you can go to http://ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html and play with various setups (or make custom ones; instructions are below the simulator chart), to see what something that will do what you wnat to do will use up for wh/mile, and for watts at various speeds, etc.

at a guess, you'll need at least 3-4kw input power to the system to get 40mph out of it; depends on your system and conditions, and the acceleration you need it to have (if you don't mind taking a long time to get up to speed, you can use less power down to the minimum needed to maintain the max speed you want under the worst case conditions you'll ever ride in, but that might not be safe in traffic depending on where you ride). you might need more (possibly much more, if you want snappy quick acceleration under poor conditions or demanding terrain).

if you're using 48v, then 4000w / 48v = 84a, so your batteyr must be able to supply that much current without voltage sag regardless of it's state of charge (empty or full), to give you the max power (assuming 4000w). if it sags too much in voltage, you get less power (say it sags 8v at half-full, call it 40v under max load, that's 40*84=3360w, so you lose almost 700w to voltage sag on a really saggy battery, and thus can't accelerate as quickly or reach as high a speed.

if you have a 2000wh battery and it has to deliver 4000w, it will only last a maximum of 30 minutes at that rate. most batteries charge (a lot) slower than they discharge, so it could take 4+ hours to recharge that battery, depending on it's specific design/parts.

there are other considerations; if you see my posts in other people's builds in this section, they cover various bits of those.

Thank you both for your help! I stumbled across battery hookup before but I wasn't sure if it was legit or not. It sounds like I need more to get 40 miles, but it may be a good place to start. It looks like I have a lot more reading to do. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Jdawg183 said:
Thank you both for your help! I stumbled across battery hookup before but I wasn't sure if it was legit or not. It sounds like I need more to get 40 miles, but it may be a good place to start. It looks like I have a lot more reading to do. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

feel free to ask questions; i just didn't want to completely overwhelm you

I appreciate that more than you know. I made the mistake of asking a few questions on a Facebook page for building electric motorcycles and they... Were not as nice. So I've been a little timid to ask again. But now i am at the point where I REALLY want to move forward with this so I thought I would give it a try here. Thankfully you guys are way more helpful so far. One question though. That battery that was suggested above is a 44v battery. Do you think 44v with a 2kw motor will be enough to push close to 40 mph? I am building it for my 13 year old who is not the most adventurous but he does want a little more speed than the razor gives him, lol

Jdawg183 said:
That battery that was suggested above is a 44v battery. Do you think 44v with a 2kw motor will be enough to push close to 40 mph?

since you're going to use a chaindrive then the maximum speed is determined by these, approximately in order:
--motor winding (kV = rpm per volt)
--battery voltage (and how much it sags under load)
--gear ratio between motor and wheel (lower ratio = higher speed)
--wheel size (larger diameter = higher speed)
--controller phase current limit / battery current limit
--actual power required to go the speed you want (which is affected by weight / terrain / slope / conditions / wind / etc)

ideally you set it up so that the kv and gearing and wheel size means motor is running near it's unloaded max speed (at the voltage supplied) when going the bike's max speed; the more the motor is slowed down while at it's highest load the less efficient it is and hte more waste heat there is.

you can get a better sense of how these interact using that simulator; it does take a while to catch on to how it works, but as long as you play with some existing systems in it first, then start changing things based on the instructions below the chart/etc, it's pretty easy to use. don't worry that it doesn't have the parts you'll actually use in there, you're just using it to learn how things interact. once you know enough about this stuff you can use it to model your proposed setup to see what it might do under different condtions with various battery voltages, etc.

Jdawg183 said:
I appreciate that more than you know. I made the mistake of asking a few questions on a Facebook page for building electric motorcycles and they... Were not as nice. So I've been a little timid to ask again. But now i am at the point where I REALLY want to move forward with this so I thought I would give it a try here. Thankfully you guys are way more helpful so far. One question though. That battery that was suggested above is a 44v battery. Do you think 44v with a 2kw motor will be enough to push close to 40 mph? I am building it for my 13 year old who is not the most adventurous but he does want a little more speed than the razor gives him, lol

With qs120 no problem! But i think you should ignore the 2000w marking on qs120 because its more like a 10 kW motor. Not to compare with shitty my1020 motors etc.

Alright, I got caught up with my son's robotics stuff and work and kind of feel off on this for a bit, thus missing the battery that was suggested above. I am now looking at the setup in the link below. It sounds like this comes with everything I would need to build a battery besides the bus bars and BMS, is that correct? 20 of these would give me 72v, but he many kWh?

https://batteryhookup.com/products/2x-spim08hp-3-7v-8ah-cells-with-threaded-insert

Thank you. Aside from the bus bars and BMS would there be anything else I need battery wise?

This is what I have in my cart. I know I need to find a charger too, but I didn't see one on the site

ATTACH]

I have a 12S SPIM08hp pack.

Just be aware the listed specifications are when the battery cells are warmed up.

These cells are practically supercapacitors when warm, but when cold they lose at least half their capability.

This means that you will typically want to do a short warmup ride first to drain the last of your battery down before using the fastest charging possible to generate heat into the cells.

Once the temperature rises to about 70 degrees you need not worry... but on a cold morning that starts out at 50 degrees these cells are going to sag a lot.

It's important to know that Lithium chemistry cells hate the HIGH and the LOW charge conditions.

So never, never, never, never, never leave your pack fully charged.

Did I say never enough?

Maybe some more.... never, never, never, never, never. Absolutely never.

Charge to full then ride... leave parked at the middle of capacity somewhere.

Even leaving it down around 25% is better than full.

Fast charging is the way to go in my opinion as I charge mine in around 20 minutes.

Always be thinking:

CHARGE BEFORE RIDE

...if you charge afterwards and let a robot control charging then you are doing unnecessary damage every cycle.

Find a charger that pumps out at least 30 amps so you can charge as you watch very quickly.

This also allows you to ride multiple times per day.

Often I'll ride four or five times in a day... I think seven is my limit so far.

Back