Schwinn Stingray Scooter Build E-Brakes Issue

jeancks

1 mW
I have a small Schwinn Stingray kick scooter that I have converted into an electric scooter. It has a direct drive hub motor since it doesn't have a belt or chain. I hooked everything up no problem, until I connected the self-learning wires. First I had the brakes hooked up when plugging that up. When I unplugged it and tried the throttle, the wheel didn't turn. So, I unplugged the brakes and plugged the self-learning wires together again and let it run. Now the throttle works perfect. But once I plugged the brakes back in, now they don't work. What am I missing? I am super frustrated; you get one thing working correctly and something else takes you back 20 steps. Thanks for any assistance. Here is some pics before the hub motor and controller and such.

Attachments

• 20211113_205339.jpg
    20211113_205339.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 431
  • 20211113_205414.jpg
    20211113_205414.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 431
  • 20211113_205641.jpg
    20211113_205641.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 430
  • 20211113_210146.jpg
    20211113_210146.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 431
We need to know more to be able to really help. Link to the stuff you bought: battery, controller, motor, brakes?

It seems that it works when brakes are not connected?

Then likely problem could be:
- either the brakes are normally closed (circuit is closed at resting position of brake) where controller expects normally open for the brake logic.
-Or brake sensor(s) faulty (it does happen out of the box)
-Or brakes are not connected to the correct connector.

Did you buy the stuff as a kit or as separate parts? Kits normally match whereas separate parts might be incorrectly described by the seller/no decription at all etc.

Without knowing what controller you have, and what ebrakes you have, and exactly how they are wired up, I can't say which problem is the cause.

There are two basic ways that two-wire ebrake switches can work. THey can work by shorting together two wires when pulling hte lever, or by disconnecting the wires when pulling the lever. Most controllers expect the first one; using the second type on them means that if you pull the lever the controller works but not when you don't (backwards operation).

There are also three-wire ebrake switches, which still effectively work the first way above, but they require 5v power to operate.

Most controllers use just a simple two-wire input, where shorting them together engages the ebrake, and opening the wires lets the controller operate normally.

Some have a Low brake and a High brake; the low works the above way, the high works by using 12v or higher on the High brake line to engage the ebrake.

Beyond that, we'll need to know what parts you have, and exactly how they are wired together to help.

jeancks said:
I have a small Schwinn Stingray kick scooter that I have converted into an electric scooter. It has a direct drive hub motor since it doesn't have a belt or chain. I hooked everything up no problem, until I connected the self-learning wires. First I had the brakes hooked up when plugging that up. When I unplugged it and tried the throttle, the wheel didn't turn. So, I unplugged the brakes and plugged the self-learning wires together again and let it run. Now the throttle works perfect. But once I plugged the brakes back in, now they don't work. What am I missing? I am super frustrated; you get one thing working correctly and something else takes you back 20 steps. Thanks for any assistance. Here is some pics before the hub motor and controller and such.

This is the controller they sent me. Which is the two wire ebrake. I plugged it into the ebrakes in which they Also sent me. It was a kit with the hub motor.

Attachments

• -1098513337280089626.jpg
    -1098513337280089626.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 364
  • 991880656-239811196.jpg
    991880656-239811196.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 364
OK, it’s a kit with a controller that uses normally open brake circuit.

Check if the brake signal is always on on the e-brake wire (measure continuity on the connector with a multimeter or even with a battery cell and a small light bulb). If there is contact when brakes are not pulled then e-brakes are faulty.

Back