Electric MX Moped

mj2412

10 mW
Hello, i'm following this forum for years now, but have not been very active. Nevertheless i learned tons of things here and want to show the outcome of it. It took also several years to build the bike and which never will be finished. Goal is to build a MX like bike which can keep up with a 125ccm MX machine. Luckily i grow up in a workshop for electric motors and one of my favourite hobbies is riding my gasoline MX bike as often as possible (unfortunately my time is very limited).
So i took a long time to make this build.
I started with the rotor and stator of the electric motor and designed everything else around it.
Key facts: Watercooled Asynchronous motor with planetary transmission (1 step); Curtis 1236 Controller, 18P24s Samsung 30Q cells, self build frame and swingarm; fork from Yamaha YZ426, PDS shock from KTM, plastics and seat from KTM, 24s BMS, 120kg heavy, Power unknown (i expect something in the range of 20kW).
A lot of work went in the frame made of high strength steel and motor located around the main axle (similar to BMW G450X). But the most complicated piece is the battery, which I'm still not happy. I have one or two bad cells in and need to change them out.
Most of the parts i have build already twice as during the assembly and testing you still find some new things to make it better. In special when it takes years to build it. Sometime i could not touch it for month due to too much other work, but still i was thinking how to modify it at least in theory. In the moment I'm working on the suspension and controller. In knowledge about controller programming is limited, but Curtis has tons of things to adjust and it need time to find a good feeling.
Martin
IMG_20220924_180751563.jpg
IMG_20220924_180720767_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220924_180849069.jpg

Sorry for the late response. Too many things at work.

Performance is difficult to define. It is still very different compared to my gas bike. I'm working right now on adjustments for controller behavior and suspension. It is an old fork and shock, bought at ebay.
Power i don't know. I expect something about 18kW. Bike runs good. It is geared to reach about 70km/h. It pulls hard from 0 to 70km/h, but something like a wheely is not possible. It is like a very constant acceleration. I believe i have not figured out the controller completely. The battery has 2 or 3 weak cells, i need to change in the near future.

Back