TaoTao Db17 LR Small Block build

Here is a minimalistic build with the TaoTao Db17 dirt bike frame and a tiny LR small block motor that is supposed to be fairly capable for how small it is...we will find out soon!

This frame is left over from the Denzel 4-spd drive project and is fairly light with the vintage downhill forks and 17" Voloci DOT rated Stainless wheel set. I am going to see if I can get the total build weight to be even lighter than my 72v Death Voloci

Here are a few pics of the frame build from the Denzel thread to get up to speed
125taotaoframe.jpg
IMG_3568.JPG
IMG_3569.JPG
IMG_3664.JPG
IMG_3665.JPG
IMG_3666.JPG
IMG_3667.JPG
IMG_3668.JPG
IMG_3669.JPG
IMG_3670.JPG
IMG_3671.JPG
IMG_3675.JPG
IMG_3676.JPG

So I used this extra piece of steel I had kicking around to make the bracket to mount the LR small block motor, it took like 2 hours since all I used was a hack saw, a file and a small grinder...It was a sweaty process but made for a really simple mounting solution.
IMG_4582.jpg
IMG_7800.jpg
In the pictures you see a Kelly controller but it is no good straight from the factory so I will not be purchasing another one unless they replace this one. For now I will be using a 72v 45a sine wave controller with a VM960 color display
s-l500.jpg
I put this massive sprocket on the rear because I wanted this bike to have lots of torque and I already own a 72v death voloci so speed is not the requirement here
IMG_7799.jpg
IMG_7801.jpg

Got this thing out for a ride today it accelerates silly fast! Top speed of 34 mph but I could not even stay there long due to no rear brakes and feeling sketchy with no foot pegs or safety gear...

A few pics of the awesomeness...this motor is tiny and packs a punch!

Shot of the bike next to the 1983 RM80N
IMG_7810.jpg
IMG_7813.jpg
IMG_7814.jpg
IMG_7815.jpg
Here you can see the plastic I tucked between my temp battery mount and motor falling out
IMG_7816.jpg

nicobie said:
I bet you have trouble keeping the front wheel on the ground! :mrgreen:

Yes this bike is a torque monster! there is a slight lag delay with this controller and throttle setup that scared me in the trail behind my house, I thought the throttle was stuck on the hand grip it held open a bit then I noticed it kept doing it. Will take some getting used to since I do not think you can program this controller

That chain noise under acceleration sounds like it is in sync with the full rotation of the chain itself.
Maybe check that the chain doesn't have any bent/worn/roughed up links.
Are you running a master link? it could be that under acceleration something flexes just enough to chafe.
Sounds like the chain itself to me.

A-DamW said:
That chain noise under acceleration sounds like it is in sync with the full rotation of the chain itself.
Maybe check that the chain doesn't have any bent/worn/roughed up links.
Are you running a master link? it could be that under acceleration something flexes just enough to chafe.
Sounds like the chain itself to me.

Yes I am running a master link and the chain is too large I think it is a #40 chain same pitch as a 415H but alot wider

I have the correct chain to put on today it came in the mail! Hopefully this solves the issue you may be right!

What a shame my new 415H chain is 120 links and I need 123 links with this huge sprocket lol...now I am on the hunt for a 130 link before I need to buy another short one and another master link

Well I found a #41 chain from Tractor Supply today lets see if that works until my new 415 chain comes in

Now I have spent $100 on chain for this build because I did not measure it before ordering!
EDIT: The Tractor supply #41 chain worked for now! My Oury grips came in the mail and I think I am going to change the handlebars out they are from a chinese dirt bike and they are slightly bent on the left side

Another quick video of the first day ride with GoPro. I have ordered new handlebars and grips and a 415 chain which all should be installed by next week

Last edited:
So I put the new handlebars/grips and 415 chain on the bike

But I think the handlebars have too much of a rise for this bike. It feels a bit too cruiser-ish feeling now like all the weight is on the rear...what do you think?
IMG_7854.jpg
IMG_7855.jpg
IMG_7856.jpg
IMG_7857.jpg

Winter always slightly hinders my project completion percentages, so this bike still has no rear brakes and a temporary battery...But it is loads of fun when my daughter A gets on this bike since she is so lightweight it takes off like a rocket compared to her heavier counterpart(Ebay Dirt Bike)

Here is a YT short of her finally hitting full throttle in speed 3, as I egg her on and pass her one handed while recording on my Kuberg Freerider. She did put it in speed 4 once in the ball field but immediately turned it back down since the throttle is very touchy in speed 4

Last edited:
Here is a nice winter ride with the Db17 LR small block and the Death Voloci a few times in the video I say 1,2,3 and we go full throttle and race. The LR small block is faster off the line every time but i quickly get up to speed and pass her on the Death Voloci. Bear in mind that she weighs 100lbs and I am well more than double that! Still lots of fun riding around on the fast bikes!

Quick video of me fixing the rear brake system i added to the Db17 LR small block ebike!

Made the mounting bracket and the two axle dropouts out of angle iron i had kicking around the house, used the Ebay brake caliper i originally bought for the Ebay dirt bike on this bike...it is super overkill but has amazing stopping force!

Put new 20s4p 21700 packs in both bikes, quick short of us riding them to her school!

Then she goes for a ride yesterday and the chain fell off! Its always something!

Back