Getting Vespa engine swap legal in germany

Deadrabbit

10 mW
Hi,

I have an old Vespa V50 smallframe and I want it to convert to electric.

To getting it legal, I already talked with a local MOT / TÜV engineer.

He said, mechanical there would be no problem, but he want to have a EMV test certificate.

I've read in this forum about similar conversations and there is always mentioned, that before 10.2002, it's only a engine swap and no EMV test is needed.

Could someone provide more information so I can maybe convince the TÜV engineer that I won't need a EMV certificate.

Thanks in advance!

https://www.goingelectric.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49978
I also know someone in Austria who has gotten several EVs type approved, he says, without a EMV test.
Ask here maybe, the admin there seems to know a few things about getting an EV approved:
https://a2-freun.de/forum/forums/topic/35804-der-quotich-habe-eine-frage-zum-elektro-umbauquot-thread/
https://a2-freun.de/forum/forums/topic/32631-elektroumbauten-und-der-liebe-t%C3%BCv/

Contact the guys on mem-motors.de. They are doing the same thing, also in Germany, maybe they can give you some advice.

Just started same project converting V50 to 72V... might be fun with the TÜV ....Drück die Daumen :) und viel Erfolg

Last week i had a longer call with another TÜV egineer.

He gave me some hints, which the topic is related to.
- First of all, there is the TÜV Merkblatt 764. It is the groundwork for all conversations.
- ECE R 100
- ECE R 10

I told him, that i've read about conversations before 10/2002, which won't have needed a EMV certificate. He argumented, that this is a bad mistake from his colleague and also before 10/2002 a EMV test is needed.

He said, the Funkenstörprüfung, as it was called before 10/2002, is mainly the same thing as the EMV test after 10/2002.

But he was willing to accept components from an old electric scooter which was already proofed by ECE R 100. He said, i will only need an insulation test and it would be okay, if i change the battery.

Long story short: I will search for an old electric scooter to use the components in my vespa.

BW

Hi,
you definetly do not need a emv test by law for conversions of 10/2002 and before.
I have done two by now.
Those TÜV guys just hide behind a sub clause that they can ask for one if there is a good reason..simple stubborn petrolheads or, my guess, too lazy to learn something new. They could finish off three others in the meantime and earn tripple... just get another TÜV.
I can get you a contact in the city of regensburg if you are intrested.

Hi,

you mean < 60v DC right ? I just started a conversion of a smallframe v50 Vespa (MY 1975) to 72V. will talk to the guys of TÜV Süd ( I am located in Germany / Bavaria), their is a very nice man there his Name is Mr. Julian Zwick.

Best regards
Frank

Hi,

I have a kelly Controller KLS-7230H and a QS Motor with 3kW Continous Power. Swing Arm is custom made by "moko" in Huglfing.

Actually i was looking for an enetrac 10 inch hub motor (watercooled) with lots! of power. But the US company seems no longer to exist anymore... for that I would have installed 20s1p PHEV2 CATL Cells that I had from work. it might be little overdone,..now I go more easy with less power. Did you see the 5kW Hub Motor from QS ? Its also 10 inch.

All the Best
Frank

Attachments

• 21022023.jpg
    21022023.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 70
Back