Insurance for road use

PaPaSteve

1 kW
Trying to figure out insurance to put 2 electric bikes on the road.
One bike is a Segway 260 which should be easy enough to fit with the required lights, mirrors etc.
Second bike is a DIY build that started with a previous road going chassis. It has a VIN number which hopefully helps ease the process.
Our local State Farm started with a rate quote that is higher than I'd expected at $400/year for the Segway.
After that quote, I didn't bother to ask about the DIY bike.
Anybody in USA ... Oregon specifically ... have any insights to offer ?

Thanks for your ideas.

Kauaicycler ...
THX for the input, although my first impression of their services is they focus on pedal / pedal assist things rather then motorcycles. A stock Segway 260 tops out at 47MPH and my other build will be faster.

Flechter ...
If you don't mind ... what's the Geico rate for your California Bay Area location ?

THX again for the insights.

Eastwood said:
Are you in the US, if so, what state? I was unaware that you could even register, SurRon in the US. I’ve heard of people doing this outside of the US.
Sorry, I should have stated that. I'm in California. Some people have had problems, but I did not. It's about $80/year.

One trick is you can't use Sur-ron for the manufacturer as the "-" seems to cause an error. I used "Surron". I also used "LightBee" as the model" It didn't like two separate words.

A thousand thanks.
$80 seems a lot more realistic.

Trying to figure out insurance to put 2 electric bikes on the road.
One bike is a Segway 260 which should be easy enough to fit with the required lights, mirrors etc.
Second bike is a DIY build that started with a previous road going chassis. It has a VIN number which hopefully helps ease the process.
Our local State Farm started with a rate quote that is higher than I'd expected at $400/year for the Segway.
After that quote, I didn't bother to ask about the DIY bike.
Anybody in USA ... Oregon specifically ... have any insights to offer ?

Thanks for your ideas.
I have the same question for Ontario, Canada!

Whom did you call? Is it govt ins like bcic bc and sgi sk.
No, in Ontario it is private. Every broker I called so far will not insure a motorcycle modified for electric use. They will insure heavily modified custom jobs with badly welded frames, no front brakes, illegal lights, impossible ape hangers with no issue, though.

No, in Ontario it is private. Every broker I called so far will not insure a motorcycle modified for electric use. They will insure heavily modified custom jobs with badly welded frames, no front brakes, illegal lights, impossible ape hangers with no issue, though.

Interesting, maybe the insurance companies look at it as a risk because of battery fires, just guessing.

Wow that’s so cheap. It costs £1000 a year to insure a Surron in London. Another example of rip off Britain.

I ride a Vectrix Vx-1 with OEM battery... ((oversized from stock --- 90ahr vs 30ahr)).
Foremost in Michigan charged ~$70 per year ... but that was with a bundled auto ins package...and several years ago.
FYI: Foremost is affiliated with Farmers.... and Farmers will over-charge on the auto portion to make up for the low cycle premium.
Liberty is ripping me off ----- just less than 200$ annual - and here again it is a bundled auto package.... I say this because here (in Michigan) the riding season is only about 5-6 months... out west (Oregon) you enjoy a year around riding season (I know this because I spent 20years in Wa. --- just up the coast!) .... :) --> yes! I'm jealous! ! !
FWIW....

Good Luck!

Back