its now a e-motorcycle

gwhy!1

100 kW
It was going to be a ped/elec hybid but now I have done away with the ped side of things so I'm moving it to here from here http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25703.
new frame with batts2_s.jpg

Subscribed for vids! Lol!

Do you have active ride-height control on your bike??? It looks like I'm seeing a small air compressor in there.

liveforphysics said:
Do you have active ride-height control on your bike??? It looks like I'm seeing a small air compressor in there.

:lol: No mate, the air compressor was in the background..

Haha, I thought the same thing @ first!

liveforphysics said:

Hrmmz...does sound like it could be a cool idea though Luke ..

Video of GWhy climbing over cars on his new e-trials bike is not far away buy the looks ;)

KiM

This is the bike as it stands at the moment (slightly better picture ) and it rides very well just the rear shock is a little soft:
Just need to start thinking about making some side covers to box it all in. I also need to upgrade the brakes, I have some rather nice hydraulics to be fitted 8) . The bike weighs 31kg and pulls like a train.
completed_nearly.jpg

I sure wish I know how to work with metal.

Looks solid. That frame is exactly what one needs for speed higher than 35mph. Is that a doctored motorcycle frame? If so, which motorcycle?

gwhy! said:
The bike weighs 31kg and pulls like a train.

Not so comfortable that no-seat design, my friend :wink:

Joke apart: Impressive minimalistic design: very much curious to see it operative 8)

have fun! (no doubt)

AussieJester said:
Looks good Gwhy, now, about those clips of you
Climbing over cars :mrgreen:

KiM

Maybe soon :mrgreen:

SamTexas said:
I sure wish I know how to work with metal.

Looks solid. That frame is exactly what one needs for speed higher than 35mph. Is that a doctored motorcycle frame? If so, which motorcycle?

Me too :lol: Its my first go at welding ( apart from the loads of mistakes I made ), I hope it is solid for what Im going to be doing with it. The frame was built from scratch, the sump guard/bashplate is off of a offroad motorcycle.

GCinDC said:
gwhy! said:
The bike weighs 31kg
:shock: man, that's awesome. my bike weighs more! (75lbs)

what size tires?
what rims?
what front shock?
how wide between the rear dropouts?
how long is the wheel base?

Tires are 24"X3"
rims are fireeye budget rims (For the price you cant go wrong :wink: )
The front forks Im not sure but I know they are about 25years old ( cheap from e-bay )
the rear drop outs I made a booboo they are only 125mm ( It was the hub I had at the time of making the swingarm :oops: ) I have since got a very nice DRM hub 135mm so I need to re-make the swingarm to accommodate it.
The wheel base is about 1200cm I think. I wanted it a tad shorter than a regular off road bike as I wanted the front to lift up faster :D

grindz145 said:
That looks like entirely too much fun.... :twisted:

Yes its fun as it is but when I have finished I think it will ( I hope ) be even more fun :mrgreen:

zEEz said:
gwhy! said:
The bike weighs 31kg and pulls like a train.

Not so comfortable that no-seat design, my friend :wink:

Joke apart: Impressive minimalistic design: very much curious to see it operative 8)

have fun! (no doubt)

Who needs a seat :!: I would never be sat on it ( unless I am having a rest from all the fun :mrgreen: )

I will try and get out the video cam and get some onboard footage soon, maybe next time Im out ride testing. 8)

gwhy! said:
Its my first go at welding ( apart from the loads of mistakes I made ), I hope it is solid for what Im going to be doing with it.
Not bad at all for a first job. I hope it's solid too (for your sake of course ;)). Can't wait to see it in action on video.

Looking great! Are you still using the same motor?

Looking great! Are you still using the same motor?

Good news! Mine too! How many amps continuous is it taking these days?

for the curious (not me :wink: ) what sort of motor it is?
My eyes tell me it is smaller than a c80-100, but I cannot tell how much smaller ... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

have fun (indeed) !

Whiplash said:
Good news! Mine too! How many amps continuous is it taking these days?
The current limit on the controller im using at the moment is 80A so hot off the charger its around 4kw and it handles this very well. There is no signs of the windings getting to hot, but these tend to be very short bursts of power so I still dont really know how much this motor will take I have thrown 120A at it for a short while and it did start getting a little to hot but I was more worried about my controller going pop rather than the motor thats why I have dropped it back down to 80A. My big controller is very nearly finished so when that gets tested to the max I think thats when I'm going to find exactly how much these small motors can take over a longer period.

zEEz said:
for the curious (not me :wink: ) what sort of motor it is?
My eyes tell me it is smaller than a c80-100, but I cannot tell how much smaller ... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

have fun (indeed) !

Its one of these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__7870__TGY_AerodriveXp_SK_Series_63_74_170Kv_3250W.html

but it looks like HK will not be selling them anymore :cry:

gwhy! said:
but it looks like HK will not be selling them anymore :cry:

Indeed it is a pity, and the same fate occurred to the c80-100 ... I got one in a open air market
for a fair price, but the future for whoever need those motors is unclear ... :roll:

Beside this, 80 to 120A with a standard 12 fet is quite a sensitive amount of current :mrgreen:
Probably a bigger controller is a good idea if reliability is paramount in crawling over cars :twisted:

have fun

^ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bike is looking really good man.

What are the specs on your batteries and motor? I have a Honda S90 with a blown engine that may be a good candidate for e-power.

wheelbender6 said:
What are the specs on your batteries and motor? I have a Honda S90 with a blown engine that may be a good candidate for e-power.

The battery that I am using is lipo 48v 10ah, the motor is a 3250w 170kv outrunner. The bike is still going strong but I still have not done any body work for it. I have the same setup ( motor and battery ) on a pitbike it weighs around 40kg ready to ride and also works very well if geared for around 30mph.

Back