Other toxic discussions mass unsubscribe.

neptronix

Administrator
Staff member
As some of you know, i have patched the forum software to not include 'other toxic discussions' in most options for viewing new threads. The one option i left, is to show them in 'your posts'.

2020-12-16 12_24_00-Window.png

Every winter, many people in OTD act up, and this year has been fairly bad due to the recent election in the United States.
Many people have stated that they wish to be unsubscribed from these threads, but our current forum software does not allow them to do so.

I am giving you all a mental health gift for christmas... and 'unsubscribing' every single member - myself included, from all discussions in OTD. If you reply or start a new thread in OTD, you will see the thread in 'your posts' as usual. This is just a one time thing until we have new forum software next year that should allow you to unsubscribe from topics yourself.

2020-12-16 12_41_36-Web Development [Running] - Oracle VM VirtualBox _ 1.png

I wish you a peaceful holiday season in the midst of a turbulent world.

Crud, this is not working as the database says it does.
I have pored through the source code and realized this is actually not possible without some very serous and nasty changes.

Your christmas present will be delivered a little late starting in Jan. Sorry!

neptronix said:
Crud, this is not working as the database says it does.

Doc bug. It happens.

M

P.S. I'm in favor of your proposals. I didn't come here to listen to the unhinged pontifications that are better suited to the safe-space of Parler.

phpbb has a lot of doc bugs and also redundant database info it does not use that have tripped me up many times.
There are two database tables that track what subjects you have posted to which are written to but not read.
I figured phpbb used this as a way of speeding up the 'egosearch' aka 'your posts' listing..
It would be a very logical thing to do.. but.. it does not do that.

The only way to really unsubscribe for a topic is for all of your posts on that thread to be deleted.

Or i re-engineer a significant portion of the search code.. which is written in a very overly complex way.
Not worth it when we're looking at a platform move in the next 2-3 months.

MJSfoto1956 said:
neptronix said:
Not worth it when we're looking at a platform move in the next 2-3 months.

I assume the new platform is open-source?
Which db/language stack is it written in?

Open source but commercially developed. Written in php. Designed to be extended.

I have not pored over the source code yet to see how easy it is to work on / how well written it is, but it has 99999x better support and activity than phpbb and many free open source projects i've seen.

neptronix said:
The only way to really unsubscribe for a topic is for all of your posts on that thread to be deleted.
:? I just use the "unsubscribe" function at the bottom of a thread, and then it no longer shows up in my subscribed threads (which are only listed in each member's UCP here: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/ucp.php?i=ucp_main&mode=subscribed ). Haven't ever had a problem with it that I can recall.

If someone is trying to use their "your posts" link ( https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?search_id=egosearch ) as a "subscribed posts" list, well, it's not made for that, so yes, indeed, all of one's posts in a thread would have to be deleted (or reassigned by a mod to a "generic" account that could be named "unsubscribe"), for that thread not to show up in "your posts", because otherwise it does have some of your posts in it, so it has to show up there. ;)

A better solution is to either add a link for "subscribed threads" to the Quick Links menu that points to the UCP page above, or to replace the "your posts" link in that menu with the UCP link instead.

That's a pretty good idea AW.
I could write a script that turns the 'your post' list into 'subscribed threads' and then modify the site's code to turn every post you reply or create into a subscribed thread. Then swap 'your posts' and 'subscribed threads' perhaps..
Something like that would work and actually have the effect of speeding up database calls.. which i like.

But a new platform is on the horizon... and the question is.. can it do something like this already?
The answer is most likely yes.

So we'll put a pin in this idea for now. Because a hack to PhpBB most absolutely won't translate to the new system well.

I'd rather not have to work to see my posts, but I don't feel all that strongly about it. I'm guessing that after January 20, the flame wars will cool down anyway, with just the regulars trying to drum up excitement about Grandpa Joe's family, and not really succeeding.

Making the subscribe/unsubscribe mechanism convenient is important. The #1 goal of the big platform move will be to increase ease of use up to par with many modern websites.

Don't worry about the solution being clunky.

spinningmagnets said:
I am in favor of this.

Glad to hear this, i figured it would be uncontroversial.

neptronix said:
modify the site's code to turn every post you reply or create into a subscribed thread.
There is no need for that. Unless you deliberately uncheck the box for "Notify me when a reply is posted" when posting, you are automatically subscribed to any thread you post to (or create).

neptronix said:
Making the subscribe/unsubscribe mechanism convenient is important. T
ATM it's pretty simple, in one of the dropdown menus above and below the thread within a page viewing the thread. Could be moved to an obvious separate link (like it used to be in previous PHPBB versions).

I don't see where I have any subscriptions. I don't have to unclick the notify. I don't receive emails when there are new posts, etc.

I'm on the phone so less comes up when I look, is there some preferences where I already have it set that way?

Dauntless said:
I don't see where I have any subscriptions.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/ucp.php?i=ucp_main&mode=subscribed

I don't have to unclick the notify. I don't receive emails when there are new posts, etc.

I'm on the phone so less comes up when I look, is there some preferences where I already have it set that way?
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/ucp.php?i=ucp_prefs&mode=post
Notify me upon replies by default: Yes No

Back