Forum reshuffling beginning this weekend ( canceled )

neptronix

Administrator
Staff member
Hey all.

Ahead of the Xenforo move, we need to shuffle our subforum/categories so that links to ES threads between Xenforo and phpBB keep sync after our forum conversion. This will happen in a series of phases, and will unfortunately have to break some links to old content. But how i am doing it minimizes the old links breaking as much as possible.

I have developed some work processes to do this with minimal interruption to the forum, but you can expect the following things to happen:
1) You may find threads in 'your posts' missing... but if you reply to a post that's been recategorized, it should re-appear.
2) Some forum categories will have a lock placed on creating new threads after the new section that replaces it is opened. You can still reply in the old category though.

I have multiple volunteers who can help to make this process less painful and the interruption as small as possible.

In this first round, i am creating the following subforums to replace our current mid drive / other section:

'Ebike other drives'
'Ebike hub motor drives'
'Ebike mid drives'
'Ebike rear chain drives'

I am going to create these sections now ahead of the move and encourage you to start posting in them.

The lockout of 'EBike Non-hub Motor Drives' and moving of threads will start over the weekend.

Once this is done, another phase will be planned to get hub motor specific threads collected and moved into 'Ebike hub motor drives' which are currently in 'ebike technical', 'ebike general' and 'motor technology'.
So there will be more surgery to make a set of very clear and useful sub-sections of the ebike area in the future.

neptronix,

So to start & continue a thread from the old section, Ebike Non-Hub Motor Drives, to the new section Ebike Mid Drives does the reply author simply do a copy and then paste of the title? Namely, copy the thread title from the old section Ebike Non-Hub Motor Drives and then paste that title to start the same title in the new section? And then continue with the wording of his reply?

Nope, you just keep on posting to the same thread and the only thing you'll notice different is that it's in a different subforum. There may be an error while replying if you're replying to a topic that has just been moved, but try again and it will work.

You should be able to freely reply to posts in the old mid drive section, just not create a new topic/thread there.

By the way, the 'your posts' seems to track posts move from category to category so things will be smoother than i suspected.

I will keep you up to date with the progress and also what glitches to expect, if any.

I know you aren't there yet, but please remember, at the appropriate time, to add a forum for pre-built bikes.

LeftieBiker said:
I know you aren't there yet, but please remember, at the appropriate time, to add a forum for pre-built bikes.

That's a bit controversial as it may affect the character of the forum in the long run, but absolutely something to think about and discuss when the dust clears. I do like the idea myself.

I find it odd indeed that it's ok to talk endlessly about politics, but not about pre-built bikes. Put it under OT Discussions, if you like.

Hi Admin, Im glad I found this forum re EV issues

I have only just joined when I found a topic concerning upgrade from Lab to Lipo batteries for mobility scooters.

Its a bit cheeky of me but pls forgive. Would it be possible for you to create a sub category speciically for "mobility ~Scooters". These have special needs as EVs and there's nowhere on google that deals with these vitally important Scooeter for mobility use by those who cant walk very well. These vehicles are a godsend for us but the industry is populated with cowboys ready to prey on vulnerable persons - its really bad out there

so I hope your site can help to even up the field by sharing experiences with the EV side of things

I would specifically outlaw discussions along the lines of "which scooter is best" - you might get invaded by shady salesmen. We dont want that, We need to focus on the technical side and hopefully pass on some education
FYI I am a retired PE and have depended on scooters for 10+ years repairing and maintaining myself as mechanics of sufficient skill in this area are as rare as hen's teeth.

Thanks for your time
Robin

I think that's worth considering when the dust settles and the categories are reworked.

The reshuffling has been cancelled. I was working backwards and realized the older style of posting was to back reference lots of threads. I did not want to break this old content.

I've realized that in-thread referencing in technical discussions even breaks the entire idea of expanding to new sections in xenforo.

This is a huge problem and alters our plan greatly.
I have reverted my changes and will attack the issue at another angle in the future.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but when the reshuffle happens, any chance of some kind of category change to split out the people building new and exciting things (controllers, motors, rewinding, modifying bits with novel whatsits etc) from the "why don't my hall sensors and (insert name of controller) work?" threads?

mxlemming said:
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but when the reshuffle happens, any chance of some kind of category change to split out the people building new and exciting things (controllers, motors, rewinding, modifying bits with novel whatsits etc) from the "why don't my hall sensors and (insert name of controller) work?" threads?

Yup, what you're talking about is exactly why the reorganization needs to happen. Too many disparate topics exist in 2 subforums. This is a forum design error that should have been corrected 10 years ago. I have a couple ideas on how to correct this.

I have some new ideas on how to correct this... haven't hashed them out yet though.

PS
Amberwolf recently found out that my big concern isn't valid, apparently phpbb doesn't care about forum IDS in the URLs, despite having options to preserve linkages between topics when the topic is moved. Very deceiving!

Back