Are the pictures gone for good?

33% of them seem to be gone, 33% seems corrupted, and the other 34% seem okay from the threads i've seen..

Sucks because a lot of the images are part of the knowledge base here.

neptronix said:
33% of them seem to be gone, 33% seems corrupted, and the other 34% seem okay from the threads i've seen..

Sucks because a lot of the images are part of the knowledge base here.
Yup it happened right after the upgrade when the site was down saying they were changing the batteries to Nuclear! :cry:

Arlo1 said:
Yup it happened right after the upgrade when the site was down saying they were changing the batteries to Nuclear! :cry:

Looks like we had a meltdown.. hehe

There is a running backup, but I don't have access to it, nor do I know for sure if it contains pictures (but it should). I assume that KnightMB is either working on the problem still, or that he is simply too busy at this time with his dayjob to do much about it yet. I sure know how that can happen. :(

I'd like to make a suggestion to the general population here: Something that has helped me has been to save those paragraphs and pics that are the most helpful to me. I have been experimenting with some of the RC stuff, so I have a document folder labeled "RC-Electrical", and also a pic folder with the same title.

Actually, I have a document on the desktop (screen field) of my laptop that is in the upper lefthand corner which is labeled "Notepad". As I am surfing the net, reading my email, or looking at the posts in ES,...whenever I see something (text, web-address, or pic) I immediately copy/paste onto "Notepad". Then later, when I am away from the wireless internet I use (work, McDonalds, the library) I can take my time to sort through the saved items and then cut/paste them into their proper folder.

Not to pick on anyone, but a while back ES member "nutsandvolts" became angry at the responses of several members, and he took the time to go through every thread he posted on, and then erased the text and pics (some of which were quite useful). So,...whether there is a computer crash, or someone withdraws useful text/pics, everyone should save the info and pics that are the most useful.

On a side note, my son gave me a USB back-up drive for my laptop. I plug it in once a month and click on all the folders from which I want to save the updated info. To make that faster, I have consolidated many files into a few master files (fewer back-up clicks that way). Friction drives, boxed reduction-drives, capacitor research, 9C info, battery info, etc...have all been put into a new file called "Ebikes".

Any tips are welcome, as I am learning with some difficulty. My son is dragging me into being a little more computer literate...

spinningmagnets said:
As I am surfing the net, reading my email, or looking at the posts in ES,...whenever I see something (text, web-address, or pic) I immediately copy/paste onto "Notepad". Then later, when I am away from the wireless internet I use (work, McDonalds, the library) I can take my time to sort through the saved items and then cut/paste them into their proper folder.
You can also use this:
http://www.cybermatrix.com/clipboard_magic.html
it's a free clipboard that basically "replaces" the regular one, so that when you copy some text it keeps it in a list of items (whcih can be just about as big as you want). Like the regular clipboard, it keeps the last thing copied in memory, so if you paste that's what goes there. But all the previous ones are also in the list to choose from if you wish...

Lots of options for various functions, most of which I don't use. Then you can save the clipboard file as a whole, or just double click an item in the list to put it back into the main clipboard so that you can paste it somewhere else.

In theory it can autosave when you shutdown the comptuer, too, but I have had some issues with that, so I generally manually save the clipboard file instead.

I had all my pictures on 2 different conputers and they both crashed last month.
:(

I know a guy who is heavily into digital photography ( semi- pro) and he is adamant that his system of having 5 (five) separate back up drives is essential for preventing loss or corruption of his work ! :shock:
1). Working BU.. ( frequent dumps from camera's during the day).. protection against camera theft or card corruption
2) Daily BU from the Working drive
3) duplicate Daily BU drive in case of corruption /failure of the primary Daily BU
4) Master BU drive of all historic files
5) duplicate Master BU ... located remotely in case of fire/flood

Luckily back up storage is cheap these days ! :roll:

This is definitely a problem with this site if the images can't be recovered. I think what I will do from now on is post my pics on a site that is better at maintaining images and reference them here so they don't get lost. As stated, a lot of knowledge can be lost without the images. If images are lost, later it could be texts or whole posts and it concerns me that all this awesome info could disappear one day. I could create a crawler that could scrape the site occasionally to store it off I suppose. -Damcard

Images are what makes this site interesting for me. The lost of them is really a bummer. Lots of good posts are just boring threads now with out them. Seems like most of my post have lost pics as well. This makes all the effort into posting on this site almost futile and just spectate instead.

While I'll take my nuclear Jetsons type car I was promised as a kid, nuclear batteries suck.

I do upload all of my pics from my own backed up hard drive, so anyone who wants me to re upload any pic I've posted since '09, just send me a PM. I'll give the chiefs some more time for a full recovery, and then I'll go back and fix the pics I've shared that I deem more useful such as torque arms and motor ventilation.

Arlo1 said:
I had all my pictures on 2 different conputers and they both crashed last month.
:(

I lost a hard drive last month, and my coworker lost a hard drive last month, and his daughter's computer lost it's harddrive last month.
I think Patrick and his wife also both lost HD's last month (if I remember right?, maybe only patrick?) A few online buddies also lost HD's.

Seems like a lot of HD loss for a month. I wonder if some clever and devious HD manufacture perhaps released some sort of bug last month that causes some failure in HDs or something.

If the HDD is flashable, it could happen in theory.

Once upon a time in teh DOS/Win3.x days, with mostly RLL/ESDI/MFM HDDs, we had a few people bringing in systems to the shop that they said made a wierd zipping noise, then displayed all teh characters on screen falling to the bottom, then a message "byebye data" or soemthing like that, and locked up. Turning it back on resulted in either nothing after POST, or an HDD failure at POST depending on the BIOS. HDD was dead in every case. One of the techs at the time said he'd found a virus alert on a few BBS systems that mentioned similar things, and the virus was found to write data repeatedly to sector 0, head 0, cyl 0, over and over until whatever the weak link in the HDD was would fail. I never found out if that was true or not (I was in terminals and printers then, not PCs).

As for data loss, I usually have multiple copies of everything on several computers, and really important stuff uploaded to the web in various places and used to also have copies at a few friends' places (that changed after one of them used that stuff for their own purposes without notification or credit to me). But one day, Dec 7th 2007, I lost a LOT of stuff, becuase I had a whole slew of HDDs suddenly dying completely or having a lot of bad sectors. Weather had been changing then, humidity and temperature, and I suspect it had something to do with it, but I never have recovered most of that data.

It happened when I was shuffling files around from PC to PC on the network, and physically copying over to external HDDs. All this was going on at once, and in some cases there wasn't room to keep everything on a drive, and I had to *move* backups rather than *copy* them. That was what killed my stuff. :( Someday I hope to find enough of the right HDD models (they are all different manufacturers/etc) to swap PCBs on them and see if that gets any of it back on the ones that just died. Spinrite saved some of the data on the bad-sector units, but one of those just plain died in the process of trying.

Probably caused by EMF radiate from the sun spewed massive solar flare few weeks ago. One of my friend's iMac's hard drive died no reason. it was like 4 yrs old and he never abuse or leaving his iMac 24hr 7 days.

Who knows!

I used be running internet provider business for years, We always run backup using DVD writer drive and burn into DVD rom. It is impossible for us to be careless delete from the dvd as safer backup. DVD roms are cheap!

Fortune for my internet business had twice hard drive crashed and died. I able replace and ghost from the DVD data backup into new hard drive in less an hour. The customers were happy and didn't lose any data. :)

I lost a hard drive last month, and my coworker lost a hard drive last month, and his daughter's computer lost it's harddrive last month.
I think Patrick and his wife also both lost HD's last month (if I remember right?, maybe only patrick?) A few online buddies also lost HD's.

Seems like a lot of HD loss for a month. I wonder if some clever and devious HD manufacture perhaps released some sort of bug last month that causes some failure in HDs or something.

windows 7 has built in raid....... I use two hard drives in raid to store all my music production stuff. 500gb drives are cheap......... it makes me wonder why pc makers don't sell the raid as an upgrade

I guess that would make people realize that hard drives DO have usable life - or rather - you should plan on them to fail at some point

auraslip said:
it makes me wonder why pc makers don't sell the raid as an upgrade
A lot of them do, at least on their higher-end systems. The problem is that a) not many consumers understand what it is, and b) not many of those that do understand what it is think it's worth the cost.

x88x said:
auraslip said:
it makes me wonder why pc makers don't sell the raid as an upgrade
A lot of them do, at least on their higher-end systems. The problem is that a) not many consumers understand what it is, and b) not many of those that do understand what it is think it's worth the cost.

They really should make it a 'one click' thing in windows. I sometimes tell my friends and family to backup important data but they never do. Heck I never do it myself out of laziness. The hassle is just too great for some people.

LegendLength said:
They really should make it a 'one click' thing in windows. I sometimes tell my friends and family to backup important data but they never do. Heck I never do it myself out of laziness. The hassle is just too great for some people.
I had windows live one care and it did just that I hooked me laptop up to my external HD and clicked backup and it flashed my whole comeputer to it.
The only sad this is that was before I knew much about endlessphere!

Whenever EMF occur and your all raid hard drives BYEBYE data loss guaranteed. Backup burned into DVD and EMF will not cause data loss on the DVD. :)

DVDs are pretty unreliable too. CDs are quite a bit better but density of CD and even DVD is too low.

Raid is good but easy to lose everything at once.

Backup into the cloud is offsite and when done right requires destruction of multiple data centers for data loss. ie Amazon S3. Only danger is to not pay the bill for awhile.

Best answer for important stuff is to back up several ways.

Raid systems fail a lot. Usually the firmware or configuration makes the data useless. I've seen firmware bugs on the drives themselves take the drives out at the same time (Seagate, fairly recent, they even lied about the bugs).

A fire, a theft takes out the raid at once. Earthquake, Tsunami.

Raid is a great tool. If you set up multiple raid servers, mirrored, in different locations. That is pretty good. Unfortunately a firmware problem can still wipe both of them out. Or a system manager error. That happens a lot.

By the way, move to Raid 6 for a bit more safety. Most raid levels only protect against a single failure. A second failure and that's it. Raid six protects against two failures. Takes three failures to kill it. Unfortunately even that is easily killed by firmware problems, sysadmin errors, etc.

So put your good stuff on Raid six and back it up into the cloud.

Concerning an EMP pulse or a spate of ultra-sunspots...would storing my separate USB back-up drive inside a DIY "Faraday cage" protect it?

I am only passingly familiar with the terms, I don't know the specific benefits...

Back