Poll: Make more threads or pile it on?

Make more threads or pile it on?

• Nice and neat, keep threads on topic.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Closely related subjects are fine within reason.

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Mildly related subjects are OK.

• Unrelated subjects are fine for the most part.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Post whatever pleases you in any thread ever.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else.

• Total voters

FluxZoom

100 W
Howdy,

Is it preferred to keep a thread fairly on topic or is it A-ok to say anything and everything in a thread? Something in between? I often consider this idea and become sort of paralyzed in consideration.

Some folks discourage unnecessary comments or heavily off topic discussions, some folks don't care in the slightest and so on.

Thank you, thank you again, thanks once more.

Problem is that users disrespect and clutter the forum IMO by authoring new threads for very similar topics. Sorta like this OP - there’s plenty of existing threads in forum rules & features to dredge up something close enough and learn/discuss but no, people only believe their shit is the most awesome and amazing shit in the world and no thread can be “close enough” for their brilliant thoughts. Ugh…

amberwolf said:

How likely is this rule to be enforced? Has anyone ever been banned for making off topic or unnecessary posts or anything like that?

Ykick said:
Problem is that users disrespect and clutter the forum IMO by authoring new threads for very similar topics. Sorta like this OP - there’s plenty of existing threads in forum rules & features to dredge up something close enough and learn/discuss but no, people only believe their shit is the most awesome and amazing shit in the world and no thread can be “close enough” for their brilliant thoughts. Ugh…

You are absolutely correct, I completely agree. I should have searched more deeply, but I did search! However, I might not be amazing with search terms. I tend give up after a few hours of searching but I have searched on topics for significantly longer.

I might err on a bit of the forgiving side, newbies do what newbies do. They say "Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to ignorance." Sounds like what you want is a forum introduction video with a questionnaire at the end for all new users signing up requiring 100% correct answers teaching folks proper etiquette and so on.

Back