When will 4680 cells be available to the public?

First production 4680 cell teardown? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7fzvO5Ngbo

Btw. tabless design in cylindrical format not only helps with shorter and wider current path to the cell output terminals, but it finally brings a direct wide thermal path (made of copper) from the negative electrode to the cell case. This is essential for ultra fast charging (>3C) techniques which basically need to heat up the cell up to 50°C before charging to prevent fast cell wearing. So I guess you will be able to heat this cell design significantly faster and you will do it more evenly thru the whole cell body.

Modern prismatic cell design does have relatively wide current path to the cell output terminals as they already using many tabs welded together and connected to the output terminals, but the direct (metal) thermal path still goes to the cell terminals only. We'll see if a similar approach will soon appear for prismatic format.

It also raises questions for cell temperature control and resistance; with so much copper connected to the cathode, the busbars become part of the cooling circuit too and the resistance of these cells should be mega-low. I wonder how that'll affect long-term health.

DogDipstick said:
Come back to this thread in 10 years. I will still be riding my pack. Your 18650/21700 pack will be rust-dust.. Dust in the wind.
See my July 3 post in "Thread for new battery breakthrough PR releases" ... maybe you should be sitting down before you read my post.

Oh, by the way i just finished building and testing my second slowly/lowly 10s3p DIY build using those "new" (old) Samsung 33G cells from Battery Hookup. The IR on these 'new' old 33G cells is higher than the current IR on my 30Q 141 cells having over 290 c/d cycles to date. Emailed BH and so informed them, but decided to still keep them for further experimenting. Like with the 30Q pack can split the 33G pack for charging as 5S6P with my 6S Balance Charger. Still bottom balance ... the best method for balancing within 10mV from beginning to end (41V-10s3p).

PS: Being retired i don't need to go even 40mph to get where i'm going. Those days when speed was exciting for me has up and gone ... like been there done that ... it will also creep up on you faster then you think when you're 78. :wink:

Back