Lifepo4 charging - 2 x 12S2P

ameneguzzi

1 µW
Hi, I hope some one can help me. I am new on endless-sphere.
I have built 2 separate sets of Headway 38120 batteries in 12S2P each for a total of 74v 16amh onece connected in series. Each set has a 12s BMS intalled.
My question is: can I charge both sets together with a 74v Lifepo4 charger or I need to charge them individualy at 36v because the BMS installed on each of them.
Please help. Thank you

Yes, the plan was to have a 72v BMS but they are almost impossible to find them, so now I have to packs of 36v with BMS on each. I am sure I cannot use the 74v charger. Just asking for confirmation. Thanks

I run 24s A123 20ah poches lifepo4. I charge as two 12s packs .I disconnect the pos wire from conroller. Then hook up a meanwell 24v set to 28 volts and a HP 600hs power supply 12.6v in series @ 16amps total . Then hook up thsecond pack to the same charging combo. No bms just sense wires and a C.A. I do have a una9plus + thru the sense wires balance charger. Just use four 6s sense wires to balance. It never ever gets it chance to use as never old of balance. 6yr 1,390 cycles at 80amp. Have had to chance sense wires three times as they do ware out. Can recharge in 1hr 10 minutes.

I charge to 3.5v or in reality 3.48v - 3.52v. Not much available power over that. I fully charge after use as I will use the next day. Not as much ill effects as18650 cells do if keeped at top charge. Lifepo4 big heavy and long lasting and safer. Most bms's are limted to 5-6amps of charging.

There are a lot of 36v lifepo4 .Yes make sure it is for your chemistry. Make sure of the voltage of each pack before combining. Maybe a meter on each charger.

Back