Duct Tape Surgery - CammyCC

(( Edit .. checking some details .. ))
Ok, i got my story all wrong, THIS pack, had a Premature Cutout problem ! aparently, hot off the charger, 5 minute ride, would quit.
--------------------------

Couuld be a simple BMS issue, or various other problems, but only one way to find out ! As the good Fechter would say " 1 Test is worth a 1000 Words ! " so .. here we go.

I"ve been at this funky battery business for a while now.. heck.. i had my 1st pack before the chinese discovered Duct Tape as a battery material... :eek:

Rule to Live by :

- Clean work area, no clutter, no metal jewelry...
- Have an exit plan ! worst case situation.. out the window it goes !!!! :twisted:
- Take your time !

swbluto said:
Are those foil pouches like Ping's?

I plan to find out soon ! :D

-

Carefully cut into only 1 layer of tape and peel back carefully.. looking for thin wires or any other battery tab material.. don't be tempted to just slice and dice here.. one layer at a time !!

Attachments

• DT7.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 2,966
That construction is very similar to Mr.Lau's, down to same type of paper material under the duct tape!

leamcorp said:
That construction is very similar to Mr.Lau's, down to same type of paper material under the duct tape!

Even with the same-sized same-colored 18650-sized cells?

This thread is fascinating (as always) but I thought it was well known cammycc uses 18650 ?

Are they 16 groups of 14 cells = 16.8 to 19.6 ah?

By the way, is there any market for bulk 18650 cells if I decided I don't want my similar pack, should I cut it up and sell the cells or try to sell the pack whole?

swbluto said:
leamcorp said:

Even with the same-sized same-colored 18650-sized cells?

Mr. Lau used Valence Saphion 18650EC cells. Believe it or not, it is one of the most robust round lifepo4 cells you could use for pack building.

Don't know what CammyCC uses though.

needWheels said:
This thread is fascinating (as always) but I thought it was well known cammycc uses 18650 ?

Are they 16 groups of 14 cells = 16.8 to 19.6 ah?

By the way, is there any market for bulk 18650 cells if I decided I don't want my similar pack, should I cut it up and sell the cells or try to sell the pack whole?

I think pack would bring more than individual cells.

Problem with lifepo4 cells are that they are 3.3v and don't work so well with other electronic - specifically flashlights. I've did exactly that - break apart a pack and tried to use it on my 18650 flashlight setup (5 P7 flashlight in parallel) and some didn't even light. The flashlights typically use li-poly cells at 3.7v

Waiting to hear more about this dissection... meanwhile...

wish I had a digital scale - I know duct tape buyers have been warned that 20ah packs are 1k light at 10.5kg or so...

but then I saw this - now *this* is a 20ah pack, wowzers:
http://visforvoltage.org/forum/5999-first-look-headway-battery-pack
28 pounds (12.5kg or so rounding down for bathroom scale inaccuracies)

Still, even at their one-time-special $700 price, it's way out of my league.

ARRRGGGGHHHH....This thing reeks !... wooo. i think i'm high. :p .. I"d be dissapointed if this is not cancer causing..

Can't wear vinyl gloves as they stick to the tape and rip apart, and I had to wash my hands down with Zippo fuel to take a picture . :?

However, i'm getting there.. peeling layer by layer..

The BMS is next on my list, there are 2 of them to diagnose... but i want to see the ballance leads before i hook it all up for testing.

Whoa... that sucked ! :evil: Duct Tape Glue is Conductive !!!!

Now... yes, i know better.. however.. having removed the outer Duct-Box shell and 90% of the cell ends are exposed.. I wanted to flip the pack over, so i go ahead and grab the pack with both hands, one on each side, flat palms shorting all those nicely charged cells !!!!.

Most of you likely know this feeling .. the type that makes you go " Uhm.. wow.. this feels weird.. " 0.005 seconds later you realize " Yooooowwch " !!

All good tho.. i'm fine.. moving on.

There has got to be 5 lbs of Hot Glue over this thing.. everything is hotglued into place. and as much as i love the stuff for it's 1000's of uses.. it's a bastard to take it out of crevices ..

Trying to splic the 2 sections now..

It's amazing to me that they won't at least use fiberglass or PVC or something cheap. Even something like a thick plastic lunchbox made to fit the packs would help a lot, and couldn't cost them more than a buck. It's like they want to sell $400-800 batteries, but can't spare $1-2 bucks to make them protected, and easy to disassemble. But, I guess if people keep buying them, then there is no reason to change the design.

So, the cell looks deformed. But, the more important question is... does it work?

That looks absolutely horrible. I would get all my money back and then some. :D Shoulda went with konions :D My Cammy_CC battery is still ok. Im not doing any big discharge rates on mine so its fine for the scooter I have.

Back