48/36v step down to 24v

admiral12r

1 mW
I have an old 500w Cyclone ebike that could use a new battery. It's very difficult to find a battery that is 24v and cam handle a 40a draw. The only one I can find is the Ping that LiFePo4 that I am currently running. I was thinking,King about purchasing a 36v or a 48v and put in a step down.
Amazon.com › Daygreen-Voltage-R...
Web results
Daygreen Voltage Regulator DC DC 36V 48V to 24V 40A 960W Step Down Buck Transformer ...

Has anyone tried this with success?

Yeah, that would work, but...

It's $100 for something that will cost you 10-20% of your range. If you buy a $500 battery and attach that DC-DC converter, it would be like throwing $50-$100 worth of battery away, after having already spent $100 on the converter.

Have you considered converting the controller to a 36v or 48v? A 48V battery would only need to dump 20A for the same power (wattage) output. You would need to halve the gear ratio to get the same performance, but you might find it easier to get more performance out of the motor.

You could also Email one of the companies like Ebikes.ca or Luna and ask if they can custom build a 24v battery. If they can't you might consider building your own pack. 7S of 18650 cells would be about right. then parallel as many cells as you need to get the capacity you want.

Back