bogus power supply?

Shunt

100 mW
I saw a power supply on Amazon that was supposedly capable of supplying from 0-60v dc @ 10A or 600w on 110v input. I'm sure it's garbage , but are there any quality made power supplies anyone can think of with comparable specs? I've looked at Meanwell, but they seem to be more limited in voltage range.

Secondhand Sorensen or TDK et al on eBay.

e.g. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sorensen-DCS33-33EM1-DC-Power-Supply-0-33V-0-33A/293189674364

____
This is cheap Chinese but apparently OK if you keep a spare handy, try not to push its limits

https://www.google.com/search?q=dps5020+power+supply+communications

Review here: https://lygte-info.dk/review/Power%20DPS5020-USB%20UK.html

____
High-end hobby chargers like Graupner, FMA PowerLab, iCharger 4010-Duo give lots of features, at a price of course.

____
In general, just getting PSUs that cover a narrower range are better bang for the buck if you need a lot of amps. But def want good current limiting, check datasheets carefully.

Mean Well HLG series, 600W "A" for adjustable, highly recommended.

In the 48V nominal arena, super quality and high powered gear for industry, rack server rooms & telecom are all over cheap as chips.

Thank you ! Btw the website you suggested for finding correct wire size is awesome. So much easier than navigating an ampacity chart.

If you're intending to charge batteries with it, I'd recommend staying a decent margin below it's maximum power rating, but I don't think that's what a 0-60V supply is intended for.

Depends on the chemistry, your desired charge profile, and how you ensure you stop the cycle before doing any harm.

If just charging **to** a voltage, Bulk/CC only little to no Absorb/CV, a simple HV alarm or cutoff, or even a timer can help automate that.

Well my initial pack will be 56.7v charged at 4.05 , but I'd like to be able to charge my daughter's 10s pack with it as well, if I can find one that has that much variance in adjustment. Both will be 7p , so if I can find one that will do 10 amps at 56.7v and turn it down to do 10amps at 40.5 ,that would be amazing. I realize that may not be realistic. As far as terminating the charge, I will do it manually. Probably using a timer for the first 75% or so then keep tabs on it for the rest of the charge.

dustNbone said:
If you're intending to charge batteries with it, I'd recommend staying a decent margin below it's maximum power rating, but I don't think that's what a 0-60V supply is intended for.

So charging a 14s battery with a 60v power supply would probably be too much stress on the unit ?

Not necessarily, I'm just assuming that it's an adjustable "bench" type power supply, normally used for electronics work. The kind with a digital readout and "Current" and "Voltage" knobs. You mentioned it being 0-60V, that's why I made that assumption.

These are generally not going to like running at their maximum rated power for hours on end, especially if they're more "budget" oriented.

The fact that they run across such a wide range of voltage means they're probably not very efficient, which means more waste heat per watt output. It's the components that have to shed that waste heat that are most likely to be the point of failure.

If you are going to use a supply like that to charge batteries for hours at a time, I'd suggest lowering the current setting so that it's not trying to put out it's maximum 300W, then it will probably be ok. But not a very good long term solution for regular charging.

dustNbone said:
Not necessarily, I'm just assuming that it's an adjustable "bench" type power supply, normally used for electronics work. The kind with a digital readout and "Current" and "Voltage" knobs. You mentioned it being 0-60V, that's why I made that assumption.

These are generally not going to like running at their maximum rated power for hours on end, especially if they're more "budget" oriented.

The fact that they run across such a wide range of voltage means they're probably not very efficient, which means more waste heat per watt output. It's the components that have to shed that waste heat that are most likely to be the point of failure.

If you are going to use a supply like that to charge batteries for hours at a time, I'd suggest lowering the current setting so that it's not trying to put out it's maximum 300W, then it will probably be ok. But not a very good long term solution for regular charging.

Yeh, I don't really care what form factor it is. I would be cool with a din rail type unit if it can do what I need, but your points about efficiency are what I was afraid would be the case. Its worth digging around for, but I wont get my hopes up.

In the end it would probably be more reliable and cost effective to buy 2 units, rather than try to find an all in one solution.

Shunt said:
Well my initial pack will be 56.7v charged at 4.05 , but I'd like to be able to charge my daughter's 10s pack with it as well, if I can find one that has that much variance in adjustment. Both will be 7p , so if I can find one that will do 10 amps at 56.7v and turn it down to do 10amps at 40.5 ,that would be amazing. I realize that may not be realistic.
All this is 100% bog standard.

The only challenge is your budget.

Again, at high power, it will be cheaper to get PSUs or chargers dedicated to that narrower voltage range.

Unless you luck out on an eBay auction for a solid industrial lab-quality like Sorensen.

Or try the cheap Chinese unit I linked to.

Shunt said:
So charging a 14s battery with a 60v power supply would probably be too much stress on the unit ?

A 0-60V adjustable will charge at the exact voltage you want, in this case 56.7V

And go up to 58V when you want your BMS to balance the pack.

For example.

dustNbone said:
But not a very good long term solution for regular charging.
Not true, just a question of build quality and budget.

As you say, run at a current below max. Also headroom on the voltage is good.

A cheap chinese unit may need replacing, but if it costs 10% of a Sorenson, so what?

Of course just buy a new Sorenson if you're wealthy.

Another path to investigate is a cheap telecom PSU for high current capacity (but downward adjustable) at a fixed voltage, and then DC-DC converters to get to other voltages.

Or the hobby chargers I mentioned above.

Shunt said:
In the end it would probably be more reliable and cost effective to buy 2 units, rather than try to find an all in one solution.
Yes, the Mean Well HLGs off the shelf are tremendous value and pretty reliable.

The other paths are rabbit holes, can suck up many hours and waste money if you get it wrong.

Yes those hlg units look better and better the more I dig into quality vs budget vs functionality. Thanks for your guidance guys.

I have a giant Sorenson (and several smaller older ones) lab PSU, and it's great for doing testing with, but it's huge and bulky, not transportable.

On the SB Cruiser trike itself, I use a single Meanwell HLG-600H-54A to charge my 14s2p 40Ah EIG NMC pack at about 12A. It's built into the trike; all I have to do is plug any extension cord from the trike's input jack to the wall, and off I go. I like them because they're sealed and fanless so will survive about any weather/riding conditions I'll encounter in Phoenix city riding. Been on there for...2 years? Can't remember for sure now. Survived one serious drenching that submerged that part of the trike completely (would've drowned any fan-cooled charger).

(it can also use either 220/240VAC or 110VAC, autoswitching, so if I had the right cord for that with me I could charge at any regular outlet--I don't carry a 220/240 cord because there are at least a handful of common types, but only one common 110/115 type)

I have three more of them that could be paralleled and/or seriesed to charge faster or to charge a higher voltage pack.

They don't adjust from zero to max voltage, but they do adjust from zero to max current. The voltage range is more than wide enough to deal with most battery pack charging, if you start with a model that is close to your pack's final charge voltage.

amberwolf said:
I have a giant Sorenson (and several smaller older ones) lab PSU, and it's great for doing testing with, but it's huge and bulky, not transportable.

On the SB Cruiser trike itself, I use a single Meanwell HLG-600H-54A to charge my 14s2p 40Ah EIG NMC pack at about 12A. It's built into the trike; all I have to do is plug any extension cord from the trike's input jack to the wall, and off I go. I like them because they're sealed and fanless so will survive about any weather/riding conditions I'll encounter in Phoenix city riding. Been on there for...2 years? Can't remember for sure now. Survived one serious drenching that submerged that part of the trike completely (would've drowned any fan-cooled charger).

(it can also use either 220/240VAC or 110VAC, autoswitching, so if I had the right cord for that with me I could charge at any regular outlet--I don't carry a 220/240 cord because there are at least a handful of common types, but only one common 110/115 type)

I have three more of them that could be paralleled and/or seriesed to charge faster or to charge a higher voltage pack.

They don't adjust from zero to max voltage, but they do adjust from zero to max current. The voltage range is more than wide enough to deal with most battery pack charging, if you start with a model that is close to your pack's final charge voltage.

You get nearly 12amps using 110v as input source? That's one thing I was concerned about was having a lower output using 110v. Now that I saw your post , I looked at the 600w version and it seems hard to beat.

Shunt said:
You get nearly 12amps using 110v as input source?
Yes. I can have the Satiator at 130w (16.4v @ 8A) charging the lighting pack at the same time as the HLG is charging the traction pack at just under 600w (57.8v @ 12A), run the shed and outdoor lighting and *just* not pop the 15A breaker it's all plugged into. ;)

That's one thing I was concerned about was having a lower output using 110v. Now that I saw your post , I looked at the 600w version and it seems hard to beat.
Yeah, if you've got the money it's a good unit, and can be seriesed and paralleled for more voltage and current, and IP67 rated; it certainly survived conditions on SB Cruiser that other things haven't on my bikes and trikes.

THe Cycle Satiator from http://ebikes.ca is also good, but it's about twice as much money for half the charging power, if that's important to you. It's value comes from the programability and support, since it's designed to be a charger. It has preset features that you can program that make it more easily useful than the HLG, and it has auto disconnect at whatever cutoff current you've set for when the pack is full. (you can get modules to do that for the HLGs..but that's extra parts and theyr'e *not* sealed like the HLG is).

amberwolf said:
you can get modules to do that for the HLGs..but that's extra parts and theyr'e *not* sealed like the HLG is
Details or links on those?

Are they designed to only work with that one series?

I don't have any links or details, but I think Jonyjoe posted about them in various threads, as have others. Dunno what they're called, maybe "relay board" would pull them up?

Basically they're generic modules from China that use a relay to shut off the output at a preprogrammed point, be that voltage, current, whatever that unit is made for.

amberwolf said:
I don't have any links or details, but I think Jonyjoe posted about them in various threads, as have others. Dunno what they're called, maybe "relay board" would pull them up?

Basically they're generic modules from China that use a relay to shut off the output at a preprogrammed point, be that voltage, current, whatever that unit is made for.

I assume this is the post

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=101278&p=1480675&hilit=jonyjoe#p1480675

This combo makes a pretty damn nice charger for less than $150 going with the Hlg 480 watt.

amberwolf said:

OK, yes familiar with those, I thought you knew of units made by Mean Well.

Back