preferred method for stacking batteries end to end

i dont think there is one.. best i could think of would be lay two down parallel touching, spotweld/solder a strip connecting them, then fold it over

It's been done, and apparently you can just nose-to-tail just like in a flashlight, with a copper contact with a small bulge in between, or nuts, and then some method to prevent compression pressure from flattening out the contact, or make the contact solid. Copper is fairly soft.

The tricky part is to maintain enough compression, poron foam seems to be the favorite choice, with the real key being to separate the compression from the electrical contact. Copper contact held in place by poron, for instance. You also need to restrain the cells from side to side movement.

Long-term usage results for such constructions are fairly sparse, and there do not seem to be many experienced users utilizing such a method. I am guessing there are good reasons for this.

I spot welded a strip across two cells then folded it. This works ok but the strip sticks out to one side a little.

i suppose you could get a perfect size tube so they cant move side to side like at allll (maybe use paper or something to shim them) then if theyre flat tops make a little copper ring so terminals get a soild contact and have some spring of somesort to compress them together.... welding would probably work better though

:arrow: honda preferred
getimage.asp

:arrow: diy preferred
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4160

file.php

file.php

How big is the pack ? That's sounds good for a flashlight. Like 3s for 12v . Not a bouncing ebike.
Sorry I was thinking 3s 10ah. I'm into both electric bicycles and model airplanes. It would be for a long-skinny fuselage.

For model airplane weight reduction reasons I probably won't be doing a full-length PVC sleeve but I like the idea. The lightest option seems like the solder tab (with protrusion) idea.

18650 cells dont put out much current nd are fairly heavy.... so dont expect too much performance from them

for RC use you are basically limited to pouches, using cans is not effective considering the added weight. you can add a lot more capacity just by using pouches for the same weight limit.

BionicBlitz said:
18650 cells dont put out much current nd are fairly heavy.... so dont expect too much performance from them

Right. For typical 5 minute "sporty" flights I like a good 30-40c, for 30 minute flights I want about 10c and for 1+ hours flights I only need 5c. For my intended use 3c is plenty fine. It will be 10 amps maximum draw and about 2 to 3 amps cruise on a 10ah battery. That would be 0.3c draw correct?

for RC use you are basically limited to pouches, using cans is not effective considering the added weight. you can add a lot more capacity just by using pouches for the same weight limit.
18650s are lighter than Hobbyking batteries despite the cans. Pouches sure sounds nice. I will have to look into that.

Probably not if you factor in power delivery.

What kind of amps/volts does the RC consumes on peak and for how long does it need to fly and what is the actual weight limit?

Back