Hoverboard vs e bike battery and charger?

batpot

10 mW
Hi, new to the forum.
In terms of a charger, is there any difference besides amps and volts?
For example, a 42v 2a hoverboard charger should be fine for a 36v 15ah battery, yeah?

Now... Why doesn't the hoverboard battery have a charge plug separate from the discharge plug like an e bike battery? Does it change and discharge from the same 2 pins?

Thanks.

( Sigh ) And we wonder about all the hoverboard fires.
DON'T TRY IT!!!
You could destroy your battery / bms or start a fire.
"Good" chargers work in two modes; CC ( Constant Current ) and CV ( Constant Voltage ). In CC,they apply whatever voltage is needed to deliver the rated current for fast charging to, generally, 80% then switch to CV to top up to the rated voltage. Your 48v hoverboard charger, provided it's not one of the pieces of crap that caused so many fires, would have a CC - CV threshold of about 38 - 40 volts. That high on a 36v battery could trip or damage the BMS, or cook the battery & maybe cause a fire & believe me, that's spectacular but not pretty.
I know because I lost an Ebike back when I didn't know as much as I thought I did about lithium batteries.
Also, the 2 amp charger in CC mode, if it has one, into a 15Ah battery may overheat & catch fire or, if you're lucky, just burn out.
Hope this saves you pain.

AussieRider

Yes, the hoverboard packs are charged/discharged thru the same connector. This is safe if the BMS was designed for this. I've seen some pics of the BMS on newer hoverboard packs on ebay that show the circuit board was designed purposely for this, with a common return for both charge/discharge

However,you can buy packs where this is not the case. The toymaker skips the charge port and charges thru the output. This is very unsafe as it bypasses the over protection circuits on the charging circuit. If your charger fails and goes above 42 volts, you will have a fire. I did buy a few hoverboard packs like this. It wasn't hard to solder a 5mm charge plug in the unused pins. I charge them with a 2A ebike charger. They were inexpensive, and still work well, I use two in parallel to comprise a 36V8AH pack.

If I were to buy them again, I would want the ones that claim to have UL certification. That would suggest they have been tested to sustain overcharging if the charger fails.

I've not used a hoverboard charger, but I recently bought a cheap 36V 2A charger off amazon ($12) It came in at 43 volts. I junked it. NOt really. One of these days. I;ll look inside and see if I can trim the voltage.

More info is 42v what you measure from your 2amp charger ? What chemistry is your 36 volt battery is it supposed to be fully charged at 42 volts ? What chemistry are your hoverboard batteries I assume they are both 10s or 10 in series ? Yes no ? Yes there are two types of bms with a charge port or thru the output.
How about a link to your hoverboard ?

42v out of a 36v 2a charger isn't necessarily a fault. In the constant current stage, the charge will adjust the voltage to supply 2a to the battery & that could be up to 42v. As the battery reaches around 80% the charger switches to constant voltage stage where it adjusts the current to maintain the end voltage & trickle charge the battery until it reaches 100%. If your battery has a separate charge socket, the BMS will probably try to protect the battery from overcharging but it's asking a lot & the BMS may burn out. Be careful.

AussieRider

Back